Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoking And No Boost Or Very Little Boost.

simcor

Still trying to figure this out.

New turbo fitted and still very little boost being made 17psi at most.

I have disconnected the MAF sensor and the smoke is drastically reduced however there is still hardly any boost being made, usually on other diesels unplugging a faulty MAF will cause the engine to run at pre set parameters and indicates a faulty MAF sensor.

So I am not convinced the MAF is the culprit.

I have watched the turbo vane actuator, it is at full travel with the engine off, when the engine is started it goes all the way down to the stop and it does seem to move OK up and down as the engine is revved again this suggests this is working properly to a point.

I have also disconnected the MAP sesnor again in the hope this may prove the sensor to be a fault however no change again in the amount of boost created.

Any ideas at all? I have checked every pipe and can find no leaks anywhere on the intercooler pipes.

The other issue I have noticed is a problem at 3000-3250rpm the car smokes and the revs drop and rise between those rough RPM's. At idle at least while driving I don't really notice it.

If disconnecting the MAP made no difference I'd say that may be broken. Means the ECU is already using a default figure for it. Sounds like your MAF is fine tbh.

I don't understand how you're getting so little boost if the vanes are working correctly and there are no leaks though, where is the boost being measured? Are you using a plumbed in gauge or just data-logging?

Also, I notice a very slight dip at roughly 3k with foot to the floor, that's normal afaik, but I'm not sure whats causing it.

Using data logging dude, iv'e found a split on the intercooler pipe even though I checked it a million times. The pipe that comes from the left hand side with the corrugated sections, right round the back of it, taped it up temporarily to see how much difference it makes. Now I am making 32psi boost, sounds a bit rough as it makes a whistle under pressure but at least I now know a new pipe and it should all be good again. can't believe I missed it, but that pipe is in an awkward place to remove.

Moral of the story check everything properly.

Should have looked for the much easier possible solutions as always. £98 from Fraud fook me. Need to find a cheaper price than that. Finis code 1496240

Get your self some silicone jobs, not have to worry about it any more after that, just be sure you have the right part, there are two different versions of that pipe which connects to the inlet manifold

You can get OE rubber versions for about 30 quid, 50 for a silicone one from fleebay

I did wonder about using a silicone pipe instead, but there must be a reason why it's made of different material to the rest of the pipes.

I replaced all three rubber pipes with silicone ones, I think they use rubber because its perhaps cheaper?

the only issue with silicone ones is that they can expand a little more, nothing that cant be stopped with a cable tie around the middle of the pipe.

Yeah I get changing the rubber pipes for silicone but this pipe is plastic and hard not sure about changing it for a different type of pipe.

Ah, glad you found the issue! :) 32psi sounds more like it.

Think they changed that pipe (sure mines not corrugated!), silicone should be fine there, they only use hard plastic where you don't need the flexibility of rubber or to stop a long run sagging.

I guess yours being a facelift is the other pipe shown on the parts diagram, just not sure about changing it to a different pipe even if it is cheaper, might just have to suck up the Fraud price to be sure.

It looks like there is a revised rubber pipe with a plastic elbow on it or for later version cars, Fraud show both pipes on the catalog but I imagine the other is probably going to be the same sort of cost.

post-46680-0-98526600-1401301439.jpg

Even if I bought rubber or silicone pipes I would still need the plastic elbow for it to fit.

Ah, yes mine is the lower of the two, that plastic elbow is going to be tricky to find unless you can find a scrappy. There are always the auto car parts sites, I've found them to be more expensive than going direct to the scrap yard but you might get some luck

Car is now fixed, bit the bullet and bought the pipe from Fraud £82 odd lighter in the wallet but it's done.

It was the lower picture pipe that I was provided by Fraud so I guess it was changed due to failure of the plastic type I had on mine.

It feels like a rocket ship now after driving around with no boost at all for weeks and weeks lol

Over the moon is an understatement at the moment.