Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I Need To Replace My Air Bag?

Margolite

My Ford Fiesta Zetec hatchback 1.2 is coming up to 16 years old, I've seen in the manual that the manufacturer recommends that the airbag be replaced after 15 years. There's no warning light coming on. Is there anyone else that has a car this old and has replaced the airbag or has any thoughts on this? I did read online that airbags fitted after 1997 should last the lifetime of the car, but not sure how long that means.

Depends on how long you plan to keep the car and how much it will cost to have it replaced I guess. I am no expert, but if you like your face I would contemplate seeking dealer/Ford advice on this subject and proceeding from there.

• Like 1

Not when it's the only one you've got ! :)

Speaking as someone who has just had major surgery on the facial region, I would recommend getting the airbag replaced. Having work done above the shoulders is highly unpleasant.

And no, it wasn't a facelift or a nose job or owt.

• Like 1

i do wonder where you stand insurance wise if airbags are past there use by date as such, as for replacing , there possibly 2 airbags and seatbelt pretensioners to replace, cost more than the cars worth. cheaper to change to a newer car if it concerns you.

• Like 1

I doubt insurance really puts it in as a factor, I have never heard of it before. Interesting concept though... Does someone fancy binning a car with a out-of-date airbag, then try to claim a Brad Pitt face instead of the Mickey Rourke courtesy of our beloved NHS, the report back?

it will be the cartridge that will be out of date- if you cycle those little co2 ones have a best before!

to be fair, i didn't know airbags could go out of date, but reading this thread it just makes sense. i've driven cars with seat belt tensioners so bad you might as well not be wearing one, but as far as i'm aware there isn't an mot test for the airbag being valid (only that it's there and that it hasn't gone off yet)

If the manufacturer says 15 years it means they have determined that at least 99% of bags would still be effective after 15 years and they give the advice to cover themselves. They would not say 15 years if they knew a lot of bags had already reached a failed state.

This might help you

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/do-car-airbags-expire.html

Thanks for everyone's comments. Have decided on the basis of an article sent to me, not to go ahead and change the airbag.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club