Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Ticking Noise

Chuddey

hi, I have a 2006 1.8TDCI done about 82k. When the engine reaches its normal temp

an annoying ticking noise appears, more noticably inside the car, recently had a cam belt

and pulley change. I have tried a flush, oil and filter change with no joy.

There is no other running problems, runs sweet.

Any body had a similar problem?

Hi, when did this noise start?

i have a similar issue and a knock sensor reset helped abit, but i think its due a valve adjustment or something (im on 154k now) or the cam chain itself maknig the noise, i dont know. the car runs fine and even re-mapped so i dont really care.

do you have a sound clip of the noise?

Hi, when did this noise start?

i have a similar issue and a knock sensor reset helped abit, but i think its due a valve adjustment or something (im on 154k now) or the cam chain itself maknig the noise, i dont know. the car runs fine and even re-mapped so i dont really care.

do you have a sound clip of the noise?

had it since i bought it, previous owner wasnt aware, yes right !, seems to increase with revs, i can do a sound clip the weekend.

different to mine then, when i accelerate the noise dissapears, only appears on light throttle

yes post a sound clip and hopefully we can guide you to the problem, if there is any

• 2 months later...

Hi, any luck on this? I have a 53 focus 1.8 tdci which is making a loud ticking noise. It ticks in time with the engine ticking over. And also increases when I accelerate.

Yeah that would make sense with mine Jamie, because when it's cold it will start but cut out after a couple of seconds, it's like it's not getting fuel, I have also noticed a diesel smell in the car.

• Like 1

they are plastic pipes that come off each injector and all join into one rail, which go back towards the fuel pump to be sent back through the system. they can become brittle and crack causing leaks

Also

If you can smell diesel, Get the injector seals checked,

This problem usually occurs on the 1.4tdci (fiesta/fusion)

Jamie

I have checked them and they seem ok, got no fumes in the car, but a mate of mine who is a former ford mechanic has said it's definitely coming from the crankshaft area, I have had a quick look at the crankshaft but nothing is immediately visible, will have a more thorough look tomorrow as I am pushed for time today.

Thanks for suggestions, because even if that's not the problem it's worth eliminating theses things. I also have a feeling that the starting problem and the ticking are separate things :-(

• 3 years later...

We have a ford focus 1 8 bought in 2009 

Recently a loud ticking noise in the engine appeared whilst starting up and when running around villages 

When it runs at 70 mph it seems ok but is smoking alot when starts up and sounds terrible 

We've been told it could be the pistons in engine but they ain't sure 

We are on the verge of having to purchase a new car ..does anyone know any other thing it could be and if we should give up hope now and trade it in or continue to run it ??

11 hours ago, Debbie press said:

We have a ford focus 1 8 bought in 2009 

Recently a loud ticking noise in the engine appeared whilst starting up and when running around villages 

When it runs at 70 mph it seems ok but is smoking alot when starts up and sounds terrible 

We've been told it could be the pistons in engine but they ain't sure 

We are on the verge of having to purchase a new car ..does anyone know any other thing it could be and if we should give up hope now and trade it in or continue to run it ??

Siemens supplied a very large batch of very crap injectors end of 2008 and into 2009 which were prone to early failure and causing very poor running.  It may not be the root cause but if it is it'll cost far too  much to replace all 4 injectors for it to be worth it on a 2009 plate.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club