Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Powershift

JackR

Had a quick rummage around but couldn't find much relating to PowerShift gearboxes, especially in the focus and I wanted some advice.

I love my car to bits but it's fuel economy is dreadful, I'm barely getting a 30mpg average. Yesterday I was driving at 10mph and the car was in 3rd gear. Anyone got any advice on how I can raise the mpg I get?

Also, does anyone else have trouble on multi-storey car parks? Mine seems to always want to shift up when you just shouldn't

10 mph in 3rd will be labouring any engine - sadly the powershifts are not known to be economical

Had a quick rummage around but couldn't find much relating to PowerShift gearboxes, especially in the focus and I wanted some advice.

I love my car to bits but it's fuel economy is dreadful, I'm barely getting a 30mpg average. Yesterday I was driving at 10mph and the car was in 3rd gear. Anyone got any advice on how I can raise the mpg I get?

Also, does anyone else have trouble on multi-storey car parks? Mine seems to always want to shift up when you just shouldn't

30 mpg is very bad, what motoring are you doing? In any event would check tyre pressures and do some investigations.

Auto in car parks. Best solution is shift to S mode, which i nearly always use around town.

Yes I agree with selecting S mode. Driving on a light throttle it is hardly any different to the Drive position, but it does stop the gearbox hunting up and down that you sometimes get.

It should be noted that powershift gearboxes are not true automatic gearboxes, they are by design & in operation a hybrid of manual with computer controlled servos deciding when to change gear

Fraud made them this way to improve on previously woeful automatic gearbox mpg

Frauds powershift gearbox(s) are actually 2 separate 3 speed boxes controlled by two electronically controlled clutches, I box has the odd numbered gears & the other has the even ones actuated by computer controlled electronically activated servos

This make preselection of the next higher or lower gears simple & gives smoother gear changes

Manual preselection of gears has been around for eons - especially on old coaches & buses

The idea is to offer a mix of half decent mpg with the ease of auto gear selection

The mechanics of it is quite an old idea & but to wait until recent breakthroughs in computer tech to make it work

I still get 35mpg average on quite heavy town/b road driving.

I don't think these box can be described as simple as look very complex with many moving and electronic parts if look the diagrams

Powershift not complicated when you break it down into its main sections of operation.

But I still prefer the driver input of a manual

On motorways its brilliant with economy but in stop/start traffic it's dreadful as it goes through all the gears.

I do tend to leave it in Sport but she can be a bit of a !Removed! in Sport if I'm doing less than 20mph

Without knowing your exact driving style/conditions, it's hard to say whether 29 MPG is good or not. But if it really is mostly start/stop traffic as you say, then I'd say it's actually a good figure.

What MPG do you get on the motorway?

I use mine for many short trips to and from the train station, so it's running cold for much of the time and B roads involve a few gear changes. If i do longer journeys the the average is nearer 38mpg.

P.S. Ignoring the temp. gauge

Mine is used in local traffic all the time and the last two weekends stuck in stop go traffic trying to get out to the new forrest from Southampton around a 15/20 min drive,but has taken around 45 mins and shows 30.3 mpg the car has done 1200 miles.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club