Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mobius Dashcam (on 24/7)

L22EEW

Who out there is running their Mobius to record 24/7? This is something that I plan to do, as just over a week ago some wally decided to snap off my driver-side door mirror. What's shocking is, it wasn't hit off by a passing vehicle. As that side of the car was parked against the pavement.

I know that the rear 12v socket is LIVE, and can easily wire it up. But how much off a affect/strain would this have the car battery?

Thoughts, tips?

• Like 1

I'd be more worried about how you would store 24 hours of footage on an SD card. You could if you reduce the resolution, quality and frame rate, but then that would compromise the footage when you're driving. Unless you want another Mobius just for recording when the car is parked.

And I think there are ways to stop the camera from charging when the voltage drops below a certain point to stop the battery from draining, but can't remember what kit you would need for this.

I'd be more worried about how you would store 24 hours of footage on an SD card. You could if you reduce the resolution, quality and frame rate, but then that would compromise the footage when you're driving. Unless you want another Mobius just for recording when the car is parked.

And I think there are ways to stop the camera from charging when the voltage drops below a certain point to stop the battery from draining, but can't remember what kit you would need for this.

Sounds like more of a headache! I completely forgot about the loop recording, as you'll never get 24 hours worth of 1080 footage on a 32 GB card.

Another scenario, does the Mobius have a setting to "Auto Record" if something or someone was picked up, as they get close to camera? But also stop recording if nothing is then picked up for say 5 minutes?

I'm pretty sure that setting exists, but have not yet tired?

^ Yes it has a motion detection setting but I haven't tried it. From what I've heard this option on other cameras can be a bit hit or miss, but it might be worth a try.

^ Yes it has a motion detection setting but I haven't tried it. From what I've heard this option on other cameras can be a bit hit or miss, but it might be worth a try.

https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/threads/mobius-in-motion-detect-mode.3656/

Just found this... might be on the older firmware, but it's gives some examples.

• Like 1

I suppose the real test is if you walk up to your car and pretend to knock a wing mirror off, will the Mobius catch you on video lol.

Haha, i'm not knocking my own mirror off. I'll do the "walking past" test and see if that picks anything up!

Lol, that's why I said pretend ;). But yeah I suppose all you need to do is walk past and see if it picks up your face.

But most people who want to vandalise cars probably won't walk towards the front of the car where the camera can see them.

Lol, that's why I said pretend ;). But yeah I suppose all you need to do is walk past and see if it picks up your face.

But most people who want to vandalise cars probably won't walk towards the front of the car where the camera can see them.

This guy did!

http://jalopnik.com/!Removed!-stroller-suspect-who-keyed-aston-martin-brought-1725398027

post-48119-0-68748100-1440155961_thumb.p

• Like 2

Hi Lee. I have been experimenting with that idea with my Mobiuses (front and rear). I tried setting them to motion detect and to not turn off when power is removed. This left them on their battery and they would continue until the battery died. However, I seemed to struggle with missing odd clips under those settings (including a woman clipping my mirror at the petrol station as she drove past).

I read online somewhere that the cameras consume about 0.3A of power when recording 1080p video. I did some calculating on a thread somewhere on here and estimated I could probably make two cameras last about 40 hours. But that of course can't accurately take into account my battery capacity at its age, ambient temperature, fluctuations in power draw and so on... Basically, I don't want to risk being unable to start my car just because I have hours of boring footage!

You could look into adding another power source to your car, basically a power bank, that could charge as you drive and supply power to the cameras once the car is turned off, or some have looked into low power cutoffs. I'll keep my eye on this thread anyway!

• Like 2

Not sure about möbius but a power magic pro does the job for my blackvue. It uses a cigarette lighter socket to camera so should work fine with a möbius.

With a 64gb card and set to parking mode (which with the blackvue basically means it pretty much records all the time!) I was getting 3 or so days of footage before it looped. I've now switched to a 32gb card and get around 2 days worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

The rear socket isn't a constant live - it's on a 10 minute timer which restarts whenever you unlock the car, open a door, lock it again and probably loads of other triggers. In other words, 10 minutes after you leave the car it goes off! You'll need to hard wire it in to something which is a constant live if you want more time than that.

For car security using a dashcam is not viable at all really. By the time damage is done the dashcam probably hasn't detected it and their gone by the time it starts capturing. Also the field of few is minimal and i guess it would only be pointing at the front of the car?. Your best bet is to use a cctv camera that watches your vehicle.

If you want to have your mobius in the car all the time I suggest you get a "super capacitor" for the mobius, it's an easy 1 minute switch and it replaces the battery. The lithium battery will get hot sitting in the car especially on a hot day and could expand/explode/stopworking. The capacitor will give the mobius enough power to shutdown safely without losing any footage.

Capacitor: http://www.banggood.com/Super-Capacitor-For-The-Mobius-Action-Sport-Camera-p-918122.html

Who out there is running their Mobius to record 24/7? This is something that I plan to do, as just over a week ago some wally decided to snap off my driver-side door mirror. What's shocking is, it wasn't hit off by a passing vehicle. As that side of the car was parked against the pavement.

I know that the rear 12v socket is LIVE, and can easily wire it up. But how much off a affect/strain would this have the car battery?

Thoughts, tips?

• Like 1

If you want to have your mobius in the car all the time I suggest you get a "super capacitor" for the mobius, it's an easy 1 minute switch and it replaces the battery. The lithium battery will get hot sitting in the car especially on a hot day and could expand/explode/stopworking. The capacitor will give the mobius enough power to shutdown safely without losing any footage.

The capacitor is a good idea if you don't want to have the camera recording from the battery while the car is parked, but I've had no problems with the battery so far even on the hottest days in summer. But obviously the capacitor will last for years without wearing out.

I don't think it's getting dangerously hot, because I would often touch the case of the camera after a drive in hot weather and it's not any hotter than the case of a laptop would get. The heatsink gets very hot but that just means it's doing its job.

• Like 1

I've got mine hard wired now piggybacking off a fuse with a 12 to 5v converter and the super capacitor. Its great. when i turn the keys the camera receives power and starts recording straight away, the super capacitor then shuts down the camera when it loses power.

• Like 2

I've got mine hard wired now piggybacking off a fuse with a 12 to 5v converter and the super capacitor. Its great. when i turn the keys the camera receives power and starts recording straight away, the super capacitor then shuts down the camera when it loses power.

Have you checked to see how long it can record on the super capacitor? I guess not very long but if it can last a few minutes that would be useful, if you're just parked for a while.

The capacitor can only hold power for about 10 seconds I think

Yeh it's just long enough to let the camera shutdown and save the current recording properly, you have to set the power off option to immediate when using the capacitor. It apparently holds enough charge to keep the clock going for 7-10 days too after that which is useful.

• Like 1

Anyone got a link to the capacitor there using?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

What am I missing with MOTION DETECT. Got it set up (I think)

Anyway... Disconnected power lead, started car... Put wipers on a few lashes... But Mobius doesn't turn on.

What is it i'm doing wrong?

post-62796-144042945567_thumb.jpg

post-62796-144042947533_thumb.jpg

I would try configuring it with the PC software instead, I haven't tried that app so don't know if that could be the problem.

I assume it is definitely still powering on? Mine are a little picky with how long I take turning the key in the ignition.

Also, try applying the settings on the card again, just to be on the safe side :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club