Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Member- Old Problem! Engine Malfunction Light

johnna

Good afternoon all!

I have been reading through quite a few articles on here and thought it best I say hello!

I have a 58 plate 1.6TDCI estate focus. Its a nice car and suits my needs.

This morning was a tricky one, I had limited fuel and things to do before I could refuel. I coasted in with 2 miles worth of fuel left- naughty I know, but not a common thing I do. So rare I took a photo- dunno why! But It can show I had no small exclamation mark before.

post-68148-0-48110400-1440354175_thumb.j

I filled up, drove out onto the dual carriageway and warning noise time! I had a warning noise, a small exclamation mark and a large exclamation mark in a triangle & "Engine Malfunction" warning on the dash.

I read up about the dash test and diagnostic display. I have no DTCs. I have a photo to prove that, but in that pic you can see that I still have the small exclamation mark.

post-68148-0-08447800-1440354179_thumb.j

This week I have been from home in the North East to Birmingham, around the West Midlands and then back home. I doubt this is a DPF issue.

I wonder if it is a glow plug issue.

The car is currently sat with the -ive battery lead unhooked and insulated from the terminal.

I will be re-connecting at 7:45 pm tonight.

If that is not successful I will try the reset procedure using the pedals (wish I'd tried that first... but I have hopefully set the radio code to something memorable prior to unhooking)

I'll post the results up.

Johnna

Thats a brake warning light, probably needs new pads, or you left your handbrake on

Thanks Madmole, however it does also come up with this when not in test mode:

post-68148-0-38609400-1440358014_thumb.j

This comes up after five seconds once the engine is running.

So although I wish it were pads... it is more than that.

So far I have managed to:

Unhook the battery for an hour.

Lock the radio.

Unsuccessfully enter the code- I clearly didn't reset it before...

Search the service book and not find a radio code.

Fail to do the reset of this light using the pedals method.

I'm usually better than this!

It could be your DPF go for a 20min motorway run in a gear that will keep it at 2500 - 3000 this sorted out my mates, but it could be something else entirely

first of all i wouldnt recommend running a diesel car that low, it will not help the fuel system, if its a one off then fine but i always like to fill up when i have around 80-100 mile of range left.

secondly you will need to plug in a code reader such as a modified ELM cable such as this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OBD2-USB-Modified-Switch-Forscan-Elmconfig-Ford-Focus-Mondeo-Mazda-/151761960348?hash=item2355b7bd9c

and the ForScan software that can read all the codes from each module in the car: http://forscan.org/download.html

• Like 1

Forscan downloaded, I have a 16pin to USB cable that I used to diagnose and re program my wife's Golf TDI.

I'll have a bash at it.

I've discovered that my car has a V code for the radio :-(

Thanks Stoney871- that does not tend to throw up a code. I've had that issue and so did my mate with a similar aged Mondeo.

Both cars saw reduced performance and cut outs- I've got none of that.

I also managed to buy a filter that leaked (proper Ford item), so that was a giggle working that out! Again, no codes.

Does the Brake warning light go when you drive? if not the car may throw the bigger malfunction warning to remind you

If it was just your handbrake on when you took the pictures then Fordscan should tell you what codes have really been thrown, the dash one only shows emissions related ones it seems

If the luggage compartment is not fully closed that small exclamation light illuminates too.

The Engine Malfunction Light does not come on then.

I appreciate that it will also signal low brake fluid or a worn pad sensor too, but I'd expect a specific warning or just the small exclamation mark.

I will check the brakes tomorrow.

Thank you all for your advice.

I invested in the cable and downloaded forscan also. I was delayed by downloading a virus when looking to obtain the radio V code database.

The issue was highlighted as the eolys fluid being low.

I followed this guide:

I didn't need to jack up the rear end as I could shuffle under. I noted in the comments that others said the guy in the video had the connections the wrong way round. That's as maybe, but the way he did it worked for me, whereas the other way round just bled out loads.

I then read the codes again and followed the reset procedure.

No more codes!

Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting a solution to your problem. I think my Dpf tank could be empty also as I car has the same symptoms as yours!

• Like 1

Good luck- it is essential that you read the codes with the correct software though.

I got some great advice here on the download and the cable I needed.

On reflection, I would set up the feed pipe as shown in the video, but I would also place a pipe on the other outlet/ feed and lead this to a catch tank or bottle held at a higher height than the DPF tank. This would then allow a self-bleed system that would purge air.

Ring local factors they may sell PAT fluid cheaper than Euro Car Parts where I bought mine.

Good luck!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club