Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice Anyone? - Rust In Door, Bottom Weld Seam

chemfusion

Hi guys, I'm a fairly new member of the forums and I'm looking for some advice regarding rust.

I have a '54 plate Fusion 1.4 TDCi which is developing a pocket of rust behind the weld seam at the bottom of the front passenger door, as per the pic below:

E8tUU52.jpg

The seam that passes the patch of rust has bulged forward and deforms if you press it (creaks, springs back out). I suspect it has spread deeper than the eye can see due to the bubbling paint in the area around it. I would quite like to fix this (if possible); I'm very fond of the car (inherited from parents for an industrial placement at uni) and want to keep it going as long as possible due to how practical it is and how super cheap it is to run. I know it's 10+ years old, so rust etc. is to be expected..

I'm guessing the loose seam section and rust would have to be removed down to the unaffected metal - if I went this far would the subsequent repair be possible with off the shelf products? Or would it have to be patched (welded?) by a body repair shop?

Cheapest solution would be to go through scrap yards, try to find an unaffected door in the right colour, then swap the door out.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

In that case, I reckon this is just the ticket. I'd do a straight swap and transfer the wing mirror over - shouldn't be too difficult right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FUSION-LEFT-PASSENGER-NEARSIDE-FRONT-DOOR-VITRO-GREEN-2003-2011-/271890615584?hash=item3f4df18d20

Get them to give you a photo of the other side, you may need to put in electric window etc in but there should be plenty of guides online. Should take at most a afternoon to swap it outright if this is the case. I have swapped many in a past life.

Remember though, the inside of a door isn't smooth, and can be sharp as all hell. Be careful, and remember to have plasters handy. YOU WILL CUT YOURSELF. That is a Goodkat guarantee.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

Hey, thanks for the reply. Looking at the sellers other items, it would appear it is only the actual door itself, and not the glass pane or the electric actuation and inner panel with speaker etc. (I've found them listed separately).

Looks like I'd have to transfer ALL of it over! But I have a friend at work who is very car-wise/handy who might be able to help :)

• Like 1

Fantastic, has door handle and trim too I see, that will save time!

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club