Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0tdci Crankshaft Pulley Replacement

RyanMitcham

Hi,

I have got to replace my crankshaft pulley as my one has decided to shred its rubber inners!

Is the replacement a simple bolt off and bolt on job. Obviously belt off first, but are there any issues with engine timings? When i remove the crankshaft pulley, will it put it out of timing?

Thanks in advance

Its quite a straight forward job really, the hardest bit is getting at the tensioner. you will need a 13mm square key to release the tension but you only have a 1/2 gap to get anything down into the space.

I have already adapted a half inch ratchet to get to the pulley so i am not too worried about that bit. I am more worried about the timing issue? If that even is an issue!

Have you tried your 1/2 ratchet in the gap? I would be suprised if it fits.

No issues with timing.

Here is a picture of the tool I made for doing them.

post-3200-0-42460300-1440357925_thumb.jp

Yes i have tried it and it does fit! i actually had the belt off the other day, which is a total ball ache as now the pulley has gone!

Unfortunately, my mondingo has not been kind to me as the pulley actually went whilst on my way home from buying my replacement flywheel! So the last thing i needed was something else to go wrong considering the amount of money i have just spent!

I do like that tool though, might need to get creative and make one

• Like 1

A cut down sump plug key (£2.50) and a bit of 25mm flat bar. Oh an some sparky tape for a handle lol

So i have just changed the crankshaft pulley! I decided to buy a proper tensioner release tool which cost me £23 but it was so much easier with this tool.

With the pulley changed, it is like a new car. The engine is quieter and smoother.

I am so relieved because i have had so many people tell me different things from, i need a new engine to the timing chain needs replacing! Fortunately, i was confident that it was the pulley and stuck to my guns!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HELP! I've replaced my auxiliary belt, tensioner and pulleys. All is good UNTIL I put the a/c on and the compressor clutch engages. Then it all goes to hell! The revs drop slightly, then there is a loud grinding and squeezing noise. I've just had the local garage replace the compressor and the noise is still there. Any ideas? It's a tdci 130, 55 plate. Thanks.

Have a look at the crankshaft pulley! This pulley has got rubber inserts which over time, will perish and give up.

Its not too expensive and an easy fix.

Hi Ryan. Thanks for the info, but that's been done. It's all new, but still the belt judderes. Could be a naff tensioner, but that's new too. I'm at a loss and so is my local garage. The noise disappears when I pick the revs up just a wee tad though. Is it possible to get the tickover raised through the ecu????

The belt and pulleys are gates. The actual tensioner, I'm not certain about. I got it off eBay for about £130 for the whole kit. Does this help?

I only asked just on the off chance it was a cheap inferior tensioner thats casusing grief.

I think you may have it on a nutshell!

The 'gates' tensioner I got certainly doesn't look like the one advertised....

I got a cast alloy part, but the picture shows a pressed steel plate....

Unless they 'upgraded' the component?

Hmmm.....

Maybe I should contact them and check this discrepancy out?

Errrrrr. Don't actually know. Is this usually stamped / cast on?

Re discrepancy, maybe it's down to a poor picture.

It has a 12 month guarantee on it anyway......

The big players, gates, skf, ina etc all tend to put their mark on their parts.

I don't actually remember seeing anything on it saying 'gates'..... I think that you may have just cracked it!

Thanks for all the intuitive help. Experience always shows things for what they are.

I'll make more enquiries tomorrow and let you know the outcome of this nightmare.

Apparently my supplier is away on his holidays and back on Monday.

Thanks Stef.

No problem, I might have a gates tensioner kicking about somewhere I can have a look at.

Wow. That would be just fab if you did. If you do, could you post.a couple of photos so I can cross reference it with what I actually have? You see, I'm not stubborn, just determined. Lol.

Hi Stef. Just to let you know that a mate had a look and said that it was definitely a dodgey tensioner. Ooooo, I can't wait. Yet again. Ah well. Been busy today under the car...... Now got asbo's. post-68425-0-04759600-1441400549_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi everyone.

Just ripped out the new tensioner and replaced it with a SKF one and...... all is quiet.

Wooopeeeeeeee.......

From this wonderful experience I've realised that if its not an OEM part, then forget it.

• Like 1

Hi everyone.

Just ripped out the new tensioner and replaced it with a SKF one and...... all is quiet.

Wooopeeeeeeee.......

From this wonderful experience I've realised that if its not an OEM part, then forget it.

It's definitely worth spending that bit extra for quality components. Glad it's sorted now.