Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost First Gear Lacking?

danny91

Hi all, picked up a fiesta titanium x 100 ecoboost at the weekend and i must say i really love it at the moment. Only one thing i have noticed is when you first start off in first it can feel a bit sluggish and reluctant then all of a sudden without increasing rev's it will pick up a bit on its own. Is this common with this engine? Sorry if its been asked before!

It almost feels like your starting in 2nd or 3rd without the juddering or feeling you will stall though and then suddenly everything just clicks.

Thanks! :)

Never had a problem myself, always very quick. Are you giving it enough revs? Don't forget in all gears you are waiting a split second for the turbo to kick in

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes i guess that must be whats happening. I am used to driving the 1.6 fiesta i guess i just need to give it a bit more go :)

yeah I think its the turbo spooling up which although its quite quick and very ready being a small turbo, it still needs more power from a stop start to get going as this is the point where the turbo is least ready, then when it kicks in you don't need to put your foot down any harder and you get more power.

I understand what danny91 means.When i start up my non turbo 3 from cold in the morning,the first time i hit 2800 rpm it feels like a turbo kicking in.It only does it once and runs great for the rest of the day.The next morning it does it again .Is it something to do with the ignition timing.

might be engine warming up and limiting power till its settled, if you start the car and instantly put your foot down to the floor in neutral it only revs so far then a couple of seconds later it will rev all the way.

might be engine warming up and limiting power till its settled, if you start the car and instantly put your foot down to the floor in neutral it only revs so far then a couple of seconds later it will rev all the way.

In neutral the Fiesta's revs are limited to 4000 RPM.

• Like 1

I know what you mean though. First gear does seem lacking. I used to drive a 1.2 corsa and the first gear in that was more responsive but just get er in to second as soon as really.

a think first gear suffers from waiting for the turbo to spool up thats all its not really lacking just have to change driving technique as i found out when i got the car lol also remember these gears are longer im often in first gear just in traffic jams till about 15mph and 30 odd when giving it a good go lol remember 2nd gear goes to 65 :P haha

its a low speeds willy :P like holding low speeds like 5mph :P apart from that ma first gear very similar :P (got bluefin but need to send it away ;) )

There are torque limits in place on 1st gear.

Many maps raise or remove these.

I've noticed this too in the courtesy car I have at the moment, probably just the way I'm used to setting off. I always try to hold it at about 1500 rpm while letting the clutch out, and in this car it does seem to get a sudden surge of power just after I let the clutch out completely. As others said, probably just the turbo spooling up.