Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Malfunction Service Now

WES180

Hi all. Hopefully someone can put my mind at rest as my warranty ran out 3 weeks ago!

Focus Zetec S 1.6 Ecoboost 2012.

I was driving home and the Engine Malfunction service Now message came up along with a drop in power (limp mode).

Ive plugged a cheap code reader in but no DTC's were showing. It had a reset in one of the options so i pressed yes. Ive been out for a good run and the message has not come back up. I have also now found the built in system for checking for DTC's via pressing the Info and Start buttons simultaneously and there are no codes stored in there either.

I had a friend service the car last week, new plugs, odour filter, oil and filter. He said the service light may come on soon as it had been 12 months since last done but i didnt expect it to be accompanied by the limp mode?

Any ideas please?

Any ideas why it came on then Ian with no codes logged?

Nope, only the diesels normally have service indicators, just have to keep driving it to see if it comes back on. And keep your code reader handy and plug in while its in limp mode and light on, see if it shows anything.

Forgot to mention that that auto stop/start button was also illuminated "Off" while it was in limp mode if that has any relevance?

Not really, stop start is disabled if any engine electronic related malfuntion occurs

• Like 1

I thought all mk3 focus' had a service indicator message?

Could you expand on the stored trouble codes? Which buttons do you press exactly? I have a 1.6 ecoboost titanium so am interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Press and hold the steering wheel info button then press the start button without the clutch pressed down. It displays TEST on mine then you can scroll through the options.

Is that the left or right hand 'ok' button? I don't have an info button on my steering wheel

Depends how old your focus is, up to feb/march 2013 on right, after on left

• Like 1

Mine's a 2012 '61' registration so has 'ok' buttons on both sides. Thanks for the info, will give it a try. Does it just throw up a list of options? How do you exit test mode?

I would put money on there being a stored DTC if it was put onto IDS or Forscan kit. A fault when detected will store a DTC and illuminate the check engine light, even if whatever caused the malfunction has stopped the DTC is stored in the PCM until it is read and cleared by suitable equipment. Although you OBD reader may have cleared codes even if it could not read them it is possible.

• Like 2

Ive been out in the car today and the warning message hasnt come back. Its a bit worrying though wondering if it will come back and not knowing in the first place what it was. Im waiting on Simcor to buy the bluetooth Elm 327 and if it works i will buy one too to keep in the car so i can get live data/codes if it happens again.

Apparently the Forscan app can read more if you get a switchable bluetooth ELM 327. Do you work in a dealership Ian?

Maybe . Lol, but dont tell everyone. Lol

• Like 1

The switch allows the interface to access both the medium speed and high speed can networks, some ECU's are on the MS CAN some are on the HS CAN network. The switched cable version I use works brilliantly so I hope the bluetooth version will aswell, however I would not use he bluetooth version for any programming as its too unreliable but fine for reading data and DTC reading clearing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, the message popped up again today along with a loss of power. I had my code reader in the car so i waa able to plug it in with the engine running and message displayed but no DTC codes were visible. There were also none to display in the built in reader accesed via the steering wheel controls. Any ideas? Might have to get it on Fords system to see if any codes are hidden although i might get the Forscan software first to try.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club