Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Tyres

Farrelly

Looking for new tyres for my fiesta st, wheel size 205/40R17/84W currently have bridgestone pontenza RE050A on them however theres a back order of these tyres can anyone recommend alternative tyres to get ?

Few people on here have mentioned contisport contact 5

• Like 3

Great tyres,

Unlimited driving fun thanks to excellent grip. The new ContiSportContact 5 - Control never has bee sportier. With the launch of the ContiSportContact 5, Continental has developed a tyre which is equally suitable for sporty cars & SUVs with sporty driving characteristics. With this new development, the tyre engineers have made significant progress in camparison to the popular predecessor ContiSportContact 3: * Shorter braking distances in all weather conditions. * Excellent road grip and safety when cornering. * Reduced fuel consumption and high mileage. This was made possible due to a new compound which focuses on maximum power transmission and provides low rolling resistance whilst driving normally. This rubber compound which carries the name "BlackChilli" uses the various vibrations of the tyre. The ContiSportContact 5 is available in a range of sizes from 17 inch upwards for cars and 18 inch upwards for SUV. Unlimited driving fun thanks to excellent grip. Shorter braking distances in all weather conditions. When braking, the tire has a high natural frequency within the compound. Short-chain polymers in the Black Chilli compound of the ContiSportContact™ 5 react to this braking frequency and thus provide optimal energy absorption. The resulting heat shortens the braking distance on wet and dry roads. Excellent road grip and safety when cornering. The Macro-block design of the tire’s outside shoulder provides a larger contact area, which can therefore adapt optimally to the road surface. The ContiSportContact™ 5 offers improved road grip and thus more safety when cornering. Reduced fuel consumption and high mileage. At a constant speed, the vibrations in the compound are significantly lower. The longchain polymers within the compound can release the absorbed energy better, resulting in considerably reduced rolling resistance. Thus, the tire runs more easily and remains cool – for a higher mileage and a reduced fuel consumption

About £82 a tyre +

Well i had Kumho Ku39 on mine only lasted 4.5k haha.

I'm going for Falkens next as they have the same sort of ratings as a Pirelli and a it cheaper.

If I had the choice though I'd have Michelin Pilot 3's.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I had these on my old car,i like them a lot.

ww.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&sowigan=So&Breite=205&Quer=40&Felge=17&Speed=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&search_tool=&tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&suchen=+

Avon Tyres have the same rating as Continental Contact Sport 5s and are £23 cheaper.

Michelin Pilot Sport 3's or Continental SportContact 5 there is about £1/2 difference between them but the Contis are better all round

Love to get the Conti sport 5 but they don't do 215/40/17.

^ It's 205, not 215. The continentals are available in that size, but a lot of other tyres aren't. Last time I checked the Michelin Crossclimates don't come in that size which is a shame.

• Like 1

I've got the contis on mine and they are great tyres far superior to the Bridgestone. You can get them off camskill for £76 a corner and a free hotel stay just need to pay for fitting at about £15 a corner so less than £100 each

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I'm going to get a pair of Michelin Crossclimate's for mine in a couple of weeks with a view to fitting them in October.

£89 each at Costco.

^ It's 205, not 215. The continentals are available in that size, but a lot of other tyres aren't. Last time I checked the Michelin Crossclimates don't come in that size which is a shame.

215 for me mate, I've ditched the 205's for a wider footprint. Plus you cant get 215/40/17 contisport 5's only contisport 3's

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Where is everyone getting there tyres? Supplied and fitted?just had 1st service and need 3 :-(

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Where is everyone getting there tyres? Supplied and fitted?just had 1st service and need 3 :-(

3 tyres, I thought you'd need all 4 lol. But even so you've got through those tyres really fast if you need 3 or 4 new ones. I looked online on various sites for prices, then asked at my local Ford dealer and they more or less matched the price. But then when they fitted them then left some scratches around the outside of one of the rims.

I've just ordered a full set of tyre leader, there cheapest I could find for the tyres I wanted even with me paying for local garage to fit them.

Note that depending on what tyre you order could take a week to arrive but if you can afford to wait should be ok.

Failing that also try camskill.co.uk

I should have waited til I needed 4 tyres but instead got 2 on the front. I think the usual advice is to swap the tyres front to back every 6 months, so I'm going to start doing that.

Michelin cross climate they feel very grippy, wet and dry warm and cold. Wish i had done it a long time ago. Saves you having to worry about a really bad winter and not being prepared while the prices go up and the stock runs low. Hopefully we won't have a seriously bad winter for awhile but be prepared. Still perfect in summer weather here in devon in September almost october as well!

• Like 1

What tyres did you get? And what do you drive?

I drive a mk3 focus, I was going to buy michelin crossclimate but after some deliberation I've bought 4 x nokian weatherproof's (just got top score on autoex press tyre test)

Michelin cross climate they feel very grippy, wet and dry warm and cold. Wish i had done it a long time ago. Saves you having to worry about a really bad winter and not being prepared while the prices go up and the stock runs low. Hopefully we won't have a seriously bad winter for awhile but be prepared. Still perfect in summer weather here in devon in September almost october as well!

This is the very same reason for my choice in tyres - want to give myself vest chance if weather turns. 😕

• 1 month later...

hi all. i've been looking at tyres since seeing Auto Express 2012 review of winter tyres which included the summer tyre Continental conti premium contact 2 as a comparison. ~This tyre (195/50R16v) was fitted as OE on my Fiesta with a manufacture Dot date of May 2014. AE said -that after one white Knuckle circuit in snow-they discontinued further snow tests. They also were concerned about the rolling resistance (and other things) which effects efficiency and doing further calculations from other info, this indicates results of a fall of efficiency of 3% or slightly over 1.2litres per full tank fill. So much for all the technical effort put into engine and stop/start etc., efficiency. Continental replaced this tyre in 2012 with the CP contact 5 which has won some other summer tyre tests since. Finding a suitable replacement tyre is proving to be difficult because of the size. The distributer and Honest John (telegraph) say 195/55R16V should not have any adverse effects except speedo reading which (might) will be inaccurate. Ford (so far) are simply stating- we support and depend on the distributers comments. Michelin ( re CrossClimate tyres)say-we do not 'recommend' this change and changing rim to 15" with suitable tyre would be better. So a lot of conflicting advise so far. I am still awaiting further comments from FORD with regard to suitable resizing. and will see how I move forward then. I will post final decision then but think It will be Michelin Cross Climate 195/60R15V or 185/60R15V with new rims and pressure sensors (have to inform insurance) or hopefully MCC 195/55R16V on existing rims (no need to inform insurance -but will) which would be the cheaper option.

Comments are most welcome

• Like 1

^ I agree about fitting the Cross Climates to your existing rims, as long as the difference in circumference is only small. Going from a profile of 50 to 55 should be ok I think, as long as there won't be any issues with tyres touching parts of the car because they are slightly bigger.

thanks for your comment Phil, But thats the problem, as well as speedo reading Only realised today that sizes of tyres suitable are on the passenger side pillar which gives 195/55R15V and 195/45 R16V don't want to go down road of firmer tyres(195/45) so looks like I will opt for 195/55 R15V with new rims etc and not 195/60 R15V.

I will wait for answer from FORD then move forward

• Like 2

If you can wait the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's come out in January!