Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Elm327 Bluetooth & Torque Pro App

WES180

Hi all. Are any of you using this set up for your Focus? I was just wondering if it will be of any more use than my cheap plug in code reader?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-ELM327-OBD2-V1-5-Car-Bluetooth-Scanner-Android-Auto-Scan-Diagnostic-Tool-UK-/201369998989?nav=SEARCH

I had a problem yesterday with the Engine Malfunction service Now message along with loss of power. My reader couldn't find any codes and neither did the Ford built in system.

Iantt has advised on keeping my scanner in the car so if it happens again i can plug it in while the message is displayed.

Will the above set up be better equipped to find a fault?

I would get a bluetooth elm 327 and then download Forscan Lite on your phone, costs £3.50 but will give specific Ford codes not generic ones.

Any universal kit is only as good as the maker has made it and will not always show error codes the correct diagnostics kit will. Forscan does almost exactly the same job as Ford IDS does.

• Like 1

Which bluetooth elm 327 do you have Simcor? Ive just read a few reviews that said the Forscan Lite app didnt work with their 327 but it worked with Torque Pro.

I have not got a bluetooth 327 yet it is on my list of stuff to get. I use a modified ELM 327 wired device as I have a laptop and Ford IDS and Elmconfig and Forscan but I do have my VCM2 for IDS which also works with Forscan.

I would imagine most of the bluetooth ones should work with Forscan as they would with pretty much any OBD program. What they certainly are not likely to do it connect to both the HS and MS can circuits, I can't remember which way around it is, but an unmodified wired elm will only connect to certain ECU's on the car mainly the PCM, with the modified can switch it allows the device to talk to all the other ECU's on the car.

I am contemplating a bluetooth one for quick checks with my phone rather than having to get the laptop out and the cabling all the time.

If you do get one and it works well please let us know which one you get.

So im the guinea pig lol! Just been reading on the Forscan site that their is a problem with cheap chinese bluetooth ELM 327's due to them not being able to process all of the data hence the connection problems people have had.

I will hang fire and see if anyone posts up a link to one that definitely works with Forscan. Torque pro doesnt transfer as much data according to the site and thats why the bluetooth 327 will work with that app and not Forscan.

Yes it is a case of finding a decent one that will work it seems, the suggestion is that the the Vgate I car adapter is a good one but it's also more pricey.

I bought my modified elm 327 cable version from Autofix seller n eBay I am currently looking at this modified bluetooth version as it should in theory connect to both HS and MS can circuits.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Black-USB-Modified-ELM327-for-Forscan-Bluetooth-Version-/151731162468?hash=item2353e1cd64

Will let you know how I get on if I order it.

Yes it is a case of finding a decent one that will work it seems, the suggestion is that the the Vgate I car adapter is a good one but it's also more pricey.

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=5869

Problems here with full connectivity using Vgate Icar.

I bought my modified elm 327 cable version from Autofix seller n eBay I am currently looking at this modified bluetooth version as it should in theory connect to both HS and MS can circuits.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Black-USB-Modified-ELM327-for-Forscan-Bluetooth-Version-/151731162468?hash=item2353e1cd64

Will let you know how I get on if I order it.

Get it ordered then! :lol:

At least that does say its compatible with Forscan.

I will order it tomorrow as it's pay day and let you know what happens.

• Like 1

Having slight reservations about trying this adapter, it does sat it works with various operating systems on a PC but doesn't say whether it is compatible for use with Android. So I have messaged the seller to ask the question first and see if they know the answer. If it doesn't work with my phone then it is pretty much useless to me.

If it doesn't work with my phone then it is pretty much useless to me.

Me too, Galaxy S4 mini.

Well I've had a message back saying "yes it should work" doesn't inspire me with much confidence lol

Might have to wait till next week anyway as just checked my holiday wages basic week so not as much money as I was expecting, more important things to pay at the moment.

I'm assuming their no driver so to speak required on the phone as it works over bluetooth. I imagine the box itself reads all the information with commands that Forscan sends via bluetooth which then sends the data back which the App then interprets that information. Need to do a bit more reading I think before I jump in.

No rush mate. My warning message hasnt come back on again yet, im hoping it was a one off glitch!

Well if you didn't live in such a remote place I would happily have chucked it on my diagnostics for you lol

Be careful cars tend to lull you into a false sense of security, then and only then do they go for your throat with a huge fricking knife lol

• Like 1

Cheers mate. If i get stuck then my mate works in a Ford dealership so might get it on their system and perform any updates too.

I had a quick look on Etis yesterday and it says vehicle software information is available. Does it say that for everyone? There were no outstanding field service actions though.

This is the elm reader I bought from eBay a while back. Didn't have success with it to do a regen but with the great help from the guys at forscan I've just successively done a static regen on my car. Only do short journeys in the week so did it as preventative service.

post-36756-144068794528_thumb.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club