Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Are Mot Advisory's A Legal Requirement?

Focu5

Hi All, Took my car for a major service today and they've told me both of the front tyre's, rear bushes and front discs are all worn and need to be replaced.

I bought the car on the 1st of July and the MOT was carried out on the 30th June. None of this stuff was mentioned on the MOT pass certificate as an advisory. I've only done 200 miles since I've got it.

Should point out I'm not surprised about one of the tyre's being worn, but thought as it hadn't even got an advisory I'd have a bit longer to change it.

I know it's not impossible, but for the condition of all three of these things to go through pass > advisory > fail territory in the space of a month and 200 miles is slightly suspicious right? I've been commuting not tearing it about.

Anyone know if its a legal advisory to include advisory's on MOT pass certificates or are there conditions where they can be left off?

Also if anyone knows a good place to buy discs/pads please let me know!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you take it for a service?

If these things really do "need replacing" then they really shoukd have been picked up by the MOT Tester.

• Like 1

The MOT was carried out at a small independent garage. The service is being done at the local Ford dealership near me. Yeah I think at least one of these would have been picked up at the MOT. Can't help but feel there's some degree of scamming going on by someone.

Luckily I can do the brakes myself and the tyres were on my radar anyway. Its just the bushes which are a pain. That and the feeling either the previous owner or Ford are trying to screw me.

I think that it is down to human judgement, the bushes could be starting to go, but the tester figured it was fine, whereas the service guy reckons replacement.

I used to put my old Honda in to a well-known MOT firm, and one year they advised the fuel lines were corroded and needed replacing before next MOT or I will explode in a fireball. Next MOT I put in in, somewhere else, they didn't even get mentioned.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

• Like 1

The condition and road worthiness of a car is down to the MOT tester in his opinion on the day it is tested. What one tester may consider a pass another would consider a fail. Items may be a pass and not really require an advisory but within a short space of time could be an MOT fail if retested.

An MOT means diddly squat in all truth, mine passed it's MOT after changing both front lower control arms due to deteriorated bushes, however it still has a knock noise when stopping, sometimes it's loud sometimes quiet and some times doesn't knock at all, the MOT shake test didn't even pick up on any problems other than the lower bushes allowing movement.

I still need to figure out what is causing the knock I am experiencing. People assume an MOT will pick up on any faults with a car but it doesn't always do so.

A MOT is valid AT TIME OF TESTING - in theory & no doubt in practice the car could fail a MOT at any time after the test which passed it - even the same day

• Like 3

There is a difference in mot standards and service standards, mot is is it going to fail/break now, in the very near future, service is is it going to fail/break now or in next 12months/next service?

On the check sheet from a Ford main dealer I think they will recommend a tyre change at about 4mm or below of tread depth (might be 3mm, can't remember).

Whereas MOT legal limit is 1.6mm.

What is road legal and what they recommend to be replaced will be different, like Ian says.

• Like 1

On the back of this info it seems MOT's really are pointless. Your car needs to be roadworthy 1 day per year basically.

Just caught me a bit off guard as the service was so close too the MOT and they had totally different results. Oh well guess it's just one of those things!

Still think Ford are cheeky wanting £360 just to replace the pads and discs. Where do they get their parts from, NASA?

• Like 1

NASA parts are good value in comparison & their labour rate is less too , , , :)

• Like 1

At least they are fairly 'minor' issues. Tyres and pads are consumables, and are sort of expected. Bushes seem to wear out early on this model...

The MOT was carried out at a small independent garage. The service is being done at the local Ford dealership near me. Yeah I think at least one of these would have been picked up at the MOT. Can't help but feel there's some degree of scamming going on by someone.

Luckily I can do the brakes myself and the tyres were on my radar anyway. Its just the bushes which are a pain. That and the feeling either the previous owner or Ford are trying to screw me.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford are bigging up some minor wear and saying it's more serious than it is.

I'd be inclined to take it to a local garage and ask them to have a look. Especially the sort of garage that relies on word of mouth

(My favoured garage doesn't advertise much - but it's always busy!)

• Like 1

Advisories are more a means to drum up work than anything else.

If the advisories pointed to something serious/dangerous then it would be a test fail.

I used to use a garage that gave the same advisory 3 years in a row (brake discs) changed garage and they didn't say a dicky-bird about the discs.

• Like 2

Simcor, have you checked engine mounts? I had a car that I chucked loads of money at trying to solve a knock like that, found out a couple of years later that it was an engine mount.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

Could the MOT have actually logged the advisories but they just didn't give you the sheet to accompany it? That happened to me once, I knew there would be some but all I was given was the pass certificate. You can check the MOT online and this will show any if they were logged. May be worth a look just to confirm!

Could the MOT have actually logged the advisories but they just didn't give you the sheet to accompany it? That happened to me once, I knew there would be some but all I was given was the pass certificate. You can check the MOT online and this will show any if they were logged. May be worth a look just to confirm!

All on the same piece of paper now.
  • Like 1

Apparantly MOT's are very subjective and down to the examiner. Apparently VOSA spot check garages and have found quite a few cars should have failed when they passed. .

My other half is not car savvy and got an MOT off groupon before I met her. She got stung for a couple of hundred quid as it supposidly failed on several issues. She then got an advisory the year after for tyre wear so she changed them but the tire place told her the mm remaining and there was a couple of MM to go!

Advisors will be on the mot sheet all dealer ships seem to be very fussy I doubt a bush would deterate that quick wit so little miles I would keep an eye on it listen for knocks etc and leave for mot not at a ford garage.

On the back of this info it seems MOT's really are pointless. Your car needs to be roadworthy 1 day per year basically.

Just caught me a bit off guard as the service was so close too the MOT and they had totally different results. Oh well guess it's just one of those things!

Still think Ford are cheeky wanting £360 just to replace the pads and discs. Where do they get their parts from, NASA?

Yes another convert, the MOT test is pointless and just a money making scam pretty much. Yes to a point it helps keep some death traps of the road. But how many people drive round in a car that never gets a health check or have not even the slightest clue on cars let alone how roadworthy their car actually is.

If you want an unbiased MOT then take it to a council test station where they do council vehicles and taxi's as they tend to be much more thorough and are generally more strict.

Taxi company I work for had two brand new Metrocabs and they both failed the Hackney Carriage council test from brand new, headlight aim on one and plastic left on drive shaft on the other. Very minor picky points admittedly but it proved them take it seriously even on a brand new vehicle lol

Simcor, have you checked engine mounts? I had a car that I chucked loads of money at trying to solve a knock like that, found out a couple of years later that it was an engine mount.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

Could be engine mounts although it did seem to better for a little while after changing the arms but seems to have started again.

Will get round to figuring it out at some point.

took mine into ford for a service, came out with about £1800 worth of advisories.

Took it into ford for an MOT, came back with just a blown bulb and a fail - replaced the bulb £1.19 lighter and it got a pass lol

None of the aforementioned advisories where mentioned during the MOT.

Are the tyre(s) below 1.6mm or is it rubber deterioration?

The tyres were definitely worn. One was 1mm the other 3mm but the tyre walls were full of cracks on both as well.

Also as for the discs they said were corroded/warped/damaged, as far as I can see the very outer edge of the rotor has a line of rust where the pad doesn't touch it, that's normal isn't it?

Do they literally flag every little bit of wear regardless of road-worthiness in the hope you'll spend mucho £££££'s to have them "fix" it.

• Like 1

yeah, normally services with Ford mean they rip it to shreds as they do on an MOT, in fact, my local dealership said they pay MORE attention and flag more up during a major service, than they look for in the MOT. (probably why my mass of advisories had naff all to do with the MOT)

Damaged rubber is a case of weakness and increases exponentially the chance of a blowout. The 1mm tyre would be a legal requirement, however, the rest being cracking rubber would not fall under the minimum tread depth (i.e. 1.6mm) but the weakness and damage in the wall is classed as not being in "roadworthy condition"

minimum tyre depth should be 3mm all round tread I would never drive on any thing less than that don't know why the gov don't change the law in regard to tyre safety

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club