Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Gear Lever Return Spring

SkidZ

Hi All, this is my first post so hope someone can help.

I've seen a number of posts concerning the gear lever return spring issue and how to sort it but they all appear to refer to the MK1 Focus. I appear to have this problem on my MK2.5 because if I move the gear from 2nd it does not flick over to 3rd. I drive a 2006 1.8 Zetec and believe I have the IB5 transmission however I cannot find anywhere whether the return spring is the same for my car as for MK1 Focus's where the part number appears to be 1142069.

If I got one of these on e-bay or similar would it fit ?

That spring is definitely not compatible with the MK2/FL Focus.

The one you need is Finis code 1252156 and is about £5 from Ford.

post-28494-0-79028000-1440606435_thumb.j

Stoney871,

Thanks.

Do you think it will be fairly straightforward to fit ?

It looks like just a clip holding it in place but can't be 100% certain.

I have a spare mk2/fl shifter mechanism at home, I will do some research for you tonight if time permits.

If it looks too tricky to swap without risking damage I could be convinced to send you the shifter for a few quid + postage :d

Stoney871,

Many thanks that's very decent of you.

If you think it's a relatively easy job and can be done by just removing the gear lever gaiter & surround to access, then let me know.

The MK1 process appears very simple and I'm just hoping mine will not require too much dismantling or hassle as I'm pretty basic with diy mechanics. If you think sending me the shifter would be easier then let me know what it would take to part company with it !

Thanks

Ive just had a look at 07 focus and looks nothong like that image clive, may be 2 different mechanisms

Is your focus mk2 or 2.5, as I thought 2006 1.8 zetec was mk2

To be honest I'm not sure if mine is a MK2 or 2.5 !

Ford Etis website tells me it's vehicle line is Focus 04-08 Version: series 15

1.8L Duratec HE PFI (125/130PS)

5 speed manual transaxle B5/IB5

Build date 20.3.2006

First Reg: 31.7.2006

The Mk2 and facelift shifters are indeed different.

If your car is a mk2 then the Finis code I gave you earlier is correct.

If your car is a facelift model then the shifter parts aren't sold seperately.

Whichever 5 speed shifter is fitted into a mk2 the spring is correct though.

If in doubt I recommend you ask at a Ford parts counter, give them your reg or VIN and they will confirm 100% for you.

I was going to say the oposite. Lol, the one I looked at was mk2 and looked as if it was all one piece, the spring element was in a housing and pushed out square housing , nothing like the mk1, will take a photo tommorow so you can see what I mean. Is the lever assy you have sound like this. ?

Mark, I've had a twiddle with the 2.5 shifter I have and there is a centering spring present which I have removed.

If it is the same as the one you are having trouble with then you are welcome to try it.

It was very easy to remove from the 2.5 shifter, the spring arms just sat either side of a small plastic block on the mechanism and just needed one arm flicked over the block to remove tension and then it wriggled off it's mounting point very easily.

If you want to give it a shot then PM me your postal address and I'll bung it in the post for you gratis.

Hi Ian / Clive,

I appreciate your help with this.

See attached photo of the shifter viewed when I lift up the gaiter. Is this the same as what you're looking at Clive ?

post-65720-0-80856400-1440760010_thumb.j

That looks exactly like the one I took the spring out of last night.

Spring should be on the side on a white plastic lug with a rectangular plastic block next to it where the spring arms hook over each other to tension up.

You should be able to access the spring from the side with long nose pliers.

May be worth checking that the spring legs are crossed over to provide the tension to the shifter mechanism.

Thats the same view I had on the one I llooked at, good tp know you can get springs for them , not that ive seen any that are broke yet luckily

Something like this- (not an accurate picture but close from what I can remember)

20150828_121449.jpg

Chaps - I've taken a further picture looking straight down. Is rectangular housing below the bolt on the top of the pic where the spring would reside ? It all looks like one complete housing so not sure how I would access anything.

post-65720-0-04672500-1440762851_thumb.j

I'll have another look at my spare shifter tonight and post pics from all angles to check if that matches your rig.

The one you need is 4M5R 7C453 (Finis code 1378329 and about £162 brand new).

According to Microcat the spring is not swappable and is hidden under that black box on your picture.

post-28494-0-98908100-1440796379_thumb.j

post-28494-0-11728900-1440796386_thumb.j

The one I have is a 8M5R 7C453 so not compatible.

This one looks right but I would need the last group of letters off the label on your current shifter to be certain-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK2-05-08-1-8-Diesel-TDCI-Gear-Lever-4M5R-7C453-DB-/121735447901?hash=item1c57ff855d

Looks like a spring loaded plunger in a housing.

Looks like a spring loaded plunger in a housing.

I think so too.

probably only way to swap it out would be to remove the reverse selector but probably a right pain.

far easier to swap the whole shifter.

4 bolts and 2 cables (spring loaded collars where the sleeves attach to the mounts and 2 connectors to pop off).

For the reverse one you need to press the button in the middle and lever off with a screwdriver, the other cable just levers off without anything to press.

• Like 1

Hi Chaps, 4M5R-7C453-DB 00252130

I may look at breakers. Just hope it might be possible to remove without taking all of the centre console out.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club