Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6tdci Cutting Out At 3k Rpm

synaesthesia

2008 1.6tdci has started cutting out as soon as it hits 3k rpm. Drives fine otherwise, no unusual noises or trouble pulling. Don't hit 3k revs that often so it came as a surprise!

Starts up again absolutely fine and carries on. No fault codes come up with the dashboard trick.

A little research shows a couple of likely candidates are smeggy fuel filter or DPF. Before I go changing the former is there anything I can do other than take it to a dealer to narrow down the issue?

When was the fuel filter last changed ?

• Like 1

Possible clogged EGRV ?

• Like 1

Not sure what you're putting in the tank to get a smeggy fuel filter... :P

I wouldn't think this is a DPF fault from your description personally. Reading the fault codes with specific software (either IDS or FORScan) may help shed some light on the problem if you've got access to either of them.

It's likely to a sensor fault if changing the fuel filter doesn't help imo.

• Like 1

Oooh, EGR - had fun with one of those on my old Honda. Only had this car for 8 months, it was serviced at purchase but can't see when fuel filter was changed. Will give that a go for the sake of a couple of tenners. Will whip out the EGR too whilst at it. Can anyone point me in the direction of the EGR valve and fuel filter please? (yet to buy a Haynes for this)

The fuel filter is easy enough, it's under the rear right side of the engine cover and self explanatory. You will need a hand pump or at least a tube and funnel to fill the new filter with diesel though.

EGR is a bit trickier, its in the same area but right behind the engine, you may be best off fitting a blank rather than trying to clean it.

• Like 2

Blank it & live a happy life :)

• Like 1

For testing purposes would it be possible to just unplug the EGR sensor to help narrow it down? Or will that cause an EML and make it go into limp mode?

Unplugging it is likely to cause limp mode & an EML - just blank it & forget it exists :)

• Like 1

One thing at a time - change the fuel filter first & see what happens - then blank the EGRV for good measure

• Like 1

Erk. Went to take a look at a couple of bits today with my father in law (ex mechanic from days gone by) and he noticed that the oil level was particularly high and... smelled of diesel :(

Worth trying to do anything with the DPF or shall I just replace it? Done 99000 miles, no idea if it's ever been changed.

If the engine oil smells of diesel - change the oil asap as the oil is being diluted & that's not good

Diesel get's into the engine oil for a number of bad reasons - one of them is excessive active DPF regenerations

Aye, we're planning an oil & filter change this weekend. Dreading having to do a DPF :( Easy enough to do yourself or does it need crap doing that only a garage can handle?

I don't know about the DPF - but you MUST find the cause of the diesel entering the oil or your engine will be finished sooner rather than later

Could also be worn piston rings and / or leaking injectors

My car was doing the same as yours so I fitted new DPF runs a different car just got back from holiday 500 mile trip run fab

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Ugh, best not be piston rings. Checking the injectors soon though.

Is there any huge amount of difference between the DPF's available to buy? Prices ranging from £150 to £400.

And also, do all cars have a warning light for DPF regen needed? Mine certainly doesn't seem to, there isn't one that lights up during dashboard checks on the self test although the handbook appears to refer to one.

No there is no light for the DPF

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Blimey. Blanked off the EGR - it didn't resolve my problem but my gast was flabbered to find a noticable difference in how the car drove (considering the problems, I didn't drive it far - just to my lockup to get my bits for an oilchange!). Feels much nipper!

Especially pleased considering the blanking plate was a baking tray expertly cut to size with a 7mm drill bit and a pair of tin snips :D

With regards to the DPF, how do I know if it's the sort with or without the additive tank/system?

get on your knees and have a look under the rear of the car, just beind the rear subframe in the middle but in front of the large fuel tank, you should see a small black tank if you have the older style DPF, if not then you have the newer ceramic one.

Not sure if you can tell from looking at the actual DPF/CAT cylinder

Ok, the diesel in the oil is from failed regens - mines the same atm, it will drop again though so not as big issue as it seems. If you can change it that's obviously best though.

You will have the Eolys DPF on a 2008 model, 99% sure.

Fairly easy to do yourself, I made a half assed guide for it after doing mine lol. Hardest part is removing the rad fan if you're as lazy as I am and don't want to remove the grill etc.

Don't bother though, DPFs are rubbish, mines blocked again already since last weekend, been trying to regen on 10 minute town journeys 3 times the past 2 days. Words I'd use to describe the DPF aren't allowed on this site haha.

I'd have it removed if I knew I could get away with it, but would rather play it safe. At least I can get a replacement for 150, assume I'd have to refil the fluid too which looks fun.

Once I've changed the oil & filters tomorrow I'll give it a blast down the motorway for half an hour before getting a new one.

Don't necessarily need to refill the fluid, mine still hasn't run out yet.

Do you mind linking the £150 DPF? Paid £190 for mine less than a year ago iirc.