Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Synchro - Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost

DAN222

I thought i would just share an issue which has risen with my Fiesta - which others may have.

I have a 1.0 ecoboost 123bhp Zetec S (2013 27,000 miles) - which was diagnosed with a synchro problem last month.

The problem was i could climb up gears no problem - but i couldnt climb down them as well at all (especially in 1st and 2nd gear).

So the garage fixed the problem and confirmed syncro was to blame.

So...... after fixing the problem... i am now developing exactly the same problem again.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem?

No but I had a crunching 2nd in a new XR2, I virtually had to hold a gun to the manager (from where I bought it) to get it replaced.

Dan222 Are you using Superchips BlueFin ?

Quite a few have had synchro issues after applying Bluefin - probably the vastly increased torque in the lower gears the synchros can't handle.

My 2013 ZS is running fine btw. But it's only done 12.500 miles.

• Like 1

Yes my first gearbox infact was using bluefin!

I assusme other people have had problems whilst this has been connected?

Thread?

Thanks for the replies.

There's a bit of talk about the boost being limited in 1st and 2nd gear normally, but this restriction being removed with BlueFin. That Thread is here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/72858-boost-pressure-on-the-10-eco-boost

Unfortunately the people I've heard about with issues have been scattered around other threads and even other forums, so I don't have a link to anything comprehensive about it.

Searching for the word "synchro" on this forum, did find this thread which seems highly relevant: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/71358-ecoboost-synchro-bluefin-failure/

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I have the same issue. My car is a bog standard 2015 red edition and the syncro issue started at around 40K miles. Had it all repaired six months ago under warranty (they ended up replacing the syncro for all gears) and I now have the exact same issue again (done around 5k miles since). Quite frustrating considering I was without my car for around a month while it was fixed the first time.

7 hours ago, SuperAl said:

I know this is an old thread but I have the same issue. My car is a bog standard 2015 red edition and the syncro issue started at around 40K miles. Had it all repaired six months ago under warranty (they ended up replacing the syncro for all gears) and I now have the exact same issue again (done around 5k miles since). Quite frustrating considering I was without my car for around a month while it was fixed the first time.

Is it remapped?

2 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Is it remapped?

Nope totally standard

To top it off I reported the problem three days after the cars 3 year warranty expired so main dealer won't cover it. Looks like I'll be contacting ford directly then. If the synchro is going to keep failing I'm tempted to just get rid of the car since the last one only lasted a few months.

If it has been replaced and only lasted a few months then it is clearly not a serviceable part and Ford UK should do something about it.

Based on the 3 year warranty issue, if you have only had the car serviced at the main Ford dealers then you should get a 'goodwill gesture' from Ford (which may or may not cover the entire replacement).

Yes it has a full ford service history from local dealer. I've contacted ford directly so I'll see what they say.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to say that the gearbox was stripped and the synchro spring for 1st/2nd had snapped. I took this up with Ford relationship centre and they have arranged for the repair to be fully covered.

Hi!

I was around the forum when i read this. Currently im a 1.0 ecoboost 123bhp with bluefin, for a year already. I've noticed that with bluefin the 1 and 2 gear are quite hard, and the reverse too. No issues yet, but this is my last year of warranty, so... is my synchro going to die? a few months ago, when i had my tyres changed for new ones, there was some oil leak from the gearbox, this was repaired on warranty. Is synchro got to do something with this? because i really dont understand what is this synchro thing and what it does.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, SuperAl said:

Just an update to say that the gearbox was stripped and the synchro spring for 1st/2nd had snapped. I took this up with Ford relationship centre and they have arranged for the repair to be fully covered.

Did they tell you any particular reason for why this could've happened?

On 13/03/2018 at 5:32 PM, Jeipii said:

Did they tell you any particular reason for why this could've happened?

They just said it was a manufacturing fault

Fords ib5 gearbox is an old design with known problems with syncro rings and diff bearings etc. for a plodding going to the shops and back car the box is fine but push it a bit to its limit and the synchro rings will wear out fast or shatter on a high torque gear change. Ford have revised/modified the syncro rings many times during the life of this box. my own syncro ring 1st/2nd gear broke on my 10000 mile red edition and was diagnosed and fixed within 3 days by my ford dealer. The master Tech said they kept a supply of rings in stock and ford uk never queried a warranty repair for this fault unlike many other faults they like to argue about abuse wear tear or goodwill gestures etc. mine is now on 30000 miles with no repeat of earlier failure but i do treat it with kid gloves in 1st to 2nd gear changes and only give it full beans when in 3rd which thankfully is quite a long gear and just pullls and pulls.

5 hours ago, gaza said:

Fords ib5 gearbox is an old design with known problems with syncro rings and diff bearings etc. for a plodding going to the shops and back car the box is fine but push it a bit to its limit and the synchro rings will wear out fast or shatter on a high torque gear change. Ford have revised/modified the syncro rings many times during the life of this box. my own syncro ring 1st/2nd gear broke on my 10000 mile red edition and was diagnosed and fixed within 3 days by my ford dealer. The master Tech said they kept a supply of rings in stock and ford uk never queried a warranty repair for this fault unlike many other faults they like to argue about abuse wear tear or goodwill gestures etc. mine is now on 30000 miles with no repeat of earlier failure but i do treat it with kid gloves in 1st to 2nd gear changes and only give it full beans when in 3rd which thankfully is quite a long gear and just pullls and pulls.

Can stomping the gas pedal on 2nd gear also hurt the synchros or is it ok to put pedal to the metal after properly changing the gear ? :)

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2018 at 11:29 AM, SuperAl said:

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've just had the same thing happen to my 2016 Black Edition Zetec S (again, bog standard). Bought the car in January this year with almost 15k on the clock. Was driving home from work last month, crunched the gears and suddenly found I had no 1st or 2nd gear (was joining a motorway at time!). Had to be recovered back to the dealership I bought it from (Sandicliffe Leicester) by the RAC. 

Luckily its still under manufacturers warranty so Im covered, but its been a month since it broke down and only now have they diagnosed the problem and gotten round to stripping the gearbox and fixing the issue, leaving me without a car for a whole month 😡

Reading this thread, it sounds like a recurring problem? Wish I'd have known about this before buying the car!

• 2 months later...
On 5/17/2019 at 10:11 AM, np1985 said:

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've just had the same thing happen to my 2016 Black Edition Zetec S (again, bog standard). Bought the car in January this year with almost 15k on the clock. Was driving home from work last month, crunched the gears and suddenly found I had no 1st or 2nd gear (was joining a motorway at time!). Had to be recovered back to the dealership I bought it from (Sandicliffe Leicester) by the RAC. 

Luckily its still under manufacturers warranty so Im covered, but its been a month since it broke down and only now have they diagnosed the problem and gotten round to stripping the gearbox and fixing the issue, leaving me without a car for a whole month 😡

Reading this thread, it sounds like a recurring problem? Wish I'd have known about this before buying the car!

What was the issue that they found? I'm having the same problem and I'm not under warranty. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2019 at 1:44 PM, Dee_ZetecS said:

What was the issue that they found? I'm having the same problem and I'm not under warranty. 

Hi I literally had the same problem with my zetec s black edition. It’s a 15 plate about 43k mileage and I found it’s really difficult to get into 1st either slowing down or from a stand still. I’ve found that if you put it in neutral and rev the engine then try selecting 1st it does go in but it’s a massive problem while driving. Now obviously being a 15 plate I’m outside of warranty. Does that mean I don’t have a leg to stand on when questioning ford dealer about it? I work for a body shop but not sure whether to let the guys with the knowledge look at it or take it to the dealers. Don’t fancy being fleeced 

TIA

• 1 month later...

Having same/similar problem    Gears won't select first reverse etc but intermittent causing huge problems in traffic, at lights etc     Have had clutch renewed and gearbox rebuilt changing first/second gears.   Mechanic has run out of ideas 

it's a Fiesta Zetec 1.0 standard 

Same problem here guys! 1.0 140 black edition standard, will not change down into 2nd or 1st at slow speeds coming from any higher gear.

It seems the IB5 gearbox in the Mk 7.5 is not really up to the job of handling a turbocharged engine. To quote from another thread:

On 11/25/2017 at 12:08 PM, JW1982 said:

The old IB5 (Improved B5) gearbox was introduced back in 1995. This gearbox is basically a further development of the old BC gearbox. The BC gearbox started its life in 1976 as the 4-speed B(C)4 gearbox. In 1982 the BC gearbox was further developed into the 5-speed B(C)5 gearbox (which basically was  the 4-speed gearbox with an added 5th gear).

Since the introduction of the IB5 gearbox in 1995 the design of this gearbox basically stayed the same. Like many other older gearbox types the IB5 was never equipped with a synchromesh for the reverse gear.

Despite the old design the IB5 gearbox is still a nice, smooth and reliable gearbox. However the IB5 gearbox has its limitations. It was never designed for engines with a high torque output. The IB5 gearbox is produced by a joint venture of Ford and Getrag. The IB5 gearbox is officially called Getrag 5MTT170. The maximum torque this gearbox can handle is 170 Nm which equals the torque output of the 1.0 ECOboost. This is also the reason why the 140 HP version of the Fiesta has a slightly modified IB5 gearbox with uprated internals.

I never understood why Ford did not use the 6-speed B6 gearbox (Getrag 6MTT250) for the 125 and 140 HP versions of the 1.0 ECOboost in the Fiesta. My 125 HP Focus MK3 1.0 ECOboost has the B6 gearbox which is a huge improvement to the old IB5 gearbox. The B6 gearbox is a much nicer gearbox than the old IB5 gearbox. The B6 gearbox has the same size as the IB5 gearbox and can handle much more torque (max. 285 Nm).

The Mk 8 now has a 6 speed box ((6MTT215) but even this is only rated at 215Nm, which is close to what a good 140 can attain on overboost. Several members, myself included, have reported issues with the gearchange of this box, others seem fine, so how this will fare longer term remains to be seen.

• 1 year later...
On 12/18/2019 at 3:08 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It seems the IB5 gearbox in the Mk 7.5 is not really up to the job of handling a turbocharged engine. To quote from another thread:

The Mk 8 now has a 6 speed box ((6MTT215) but even this is only rated at 215Nm, which is close to what a good 140 can attain on overboost. Several members, myself included, have reported issues with the gearchange of this box, others seem fine, so how this will fare longer term remains to be seen.

My 2018 ST Line X 140 has just been to the dealer for a warranty repair. It kept slipping out of second gear. The fault was diagnosed as a faulty 2nd gear synchro. Apparently they’ve replaced the second gear too. Picking it up in the morning so hope it’ll give me no more trouble. I’ve only had it for around 3 months and warranty will be up in August. 

• Sad 2