Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk1 1.8tdci Steering Knock

focushassle

Six months after the old girl passed her MOT predictably it's knocking again(sigh)

When driving there is knocking coming from all over the car, and it's mainly under my feet or centre console, really bad esp when going over rough road and speed bumps. The smaller the bumps worse the knocking is. So when it was parked up and engine off I tried rocking the steering gently side to side. every time I change direction there is a loud 'knock' and it sounds like it's coming from where the rack is.

Things i've replaced over the last 6 months are;

New O/S drive shaft

Both wishbones, drop links and tie rod/ track rod ends ,

I have double checked and there is no play in any of the new items.

Has any one else had this sort of issue?

I'm thinking either steering rack or steering arms..

Strut top mount would be my first culprit you wont get much side to side movement but up and down it will bang like a brothel headboard that will transfer through the driveshaft making it sound like its somewhere else easy test jack up or park the side that isn't doing it up on a kerb putting load on the culprit side push on the body and listen to the strut mount for noise other than that IDE look at the gearbox mount

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Strut top mount would be my first culprit you wont get much side to side movement but up and down it will bang like a brothel headboard that will transfer through the driveshaft making it sound like its somewhere else easy test jack up or park the side that isn't doing it up on a kerb putting load on the culprit side push on the body and listen to the strut mount for noise other than that IDE look at the gearbox mount

Spot on dude, I replaced the drivers side strut top mount and the knock has gone:)

Cheers for the heads up.

Just got to find the knock at the back now ....

glad its sorted dealer tried to charge me for two driveshafts plus oil seal plus fitting £687.39 inc vat take a guess where i told them to put that one all in the mount and bearing was about £54 replaced the drop link as well for £12 while i was at it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club