Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Volvo V50 Brakes Onto Focus Mk1? (non S T)

Tea Drinker

OK, so I have a rather dull Focus Mk1, I find the performance OK, but it's not going to set my world on fire.

But it's the brakes that I find really disappointing, I know it's a heavy car (I'm used to older warm to hot hatches, I had a couple of Astra GTE's back in the day*), and the stoppers don't exactly inspire confidence.

There's nothing wrong with them, MOT man said they're perfectly fine, I just want a little more from my middle pedal.

So here's my question... As Ford made the caliper carrier integral with the hub casting, I can't just throw on bigger discs with calipers to suit, so what can I do to fit larger diameter discs on a very, very tight budget?

ST170 conversion looks easy, but I guess fairly expensive?

Volvo V50 is based on the focus, is there a good swap to be had from there?

Mondeo Mk1, 2 & 3 are as cheap as chips, is there a good swap to be had from any of them?

Is there anything else I should consider?

*Please don't hate me!

Hi welcome :)

post in focus forum someone will help

The Volvo V50, S40 and C30 are based on the focus MK2 and have nothing in common with the focus mk1. These cars have a 5 stud wheelhub while the focus mk1 has a4 stud wheelhub.

The Mondeo MK3 does also have a 5-stud wheel hub so Mondeo Mk3 brake parts do not fit either.

Had the 1.8 mk1 had no issue with brakes mintex disks and good pads work wonders as does changing the brake fluid or you coil do a rear disk conversion of you have drums

Ford Volvo Mazda may use the same chassis but many suspension parts are different and not interchangeable

I've come to an ST170 from an audi A4 turbo and find the brakes cack too so personally i wouldn't bother upgrading to them unless you really want rear discs in which case just rob a set of a 2.0 zetec or ghia.

Just go for upgraded discs and pads black diamond were great on my 300bhp st (2008 mk2.5) the fade only really came in once they had took some serious punishment where as the standard ford ones could stop you from ***mph ONCE.

• Like 1

I recently fitted new m- tec grilled and grooved brake discs along with top if the line mintex pads and there is a marked difference in its stopping power. and its a big lump to stop fast as long as i dont cook them i find them pretty good, just get a good well known brand of disc&pad...

I'd like to fit the ST170 hubs, which would allow me to fit a different caliper, allowing me to fit larger diameter discs, together with uprated pads (maybe EBC greenstuff).

I was thinking maybe V6 Mondeo Mk1 or 2 discs? Will it'll all bolt it correctly?

I might go for drilled and grooved discs too, if the pennies stretch.

I know where I can get a pair of Brembo calipers for very little (but neither the current owner or me know what they're off, hence why they're cheap).

I tend to think of rear disc conversions being more cosmetic than brake function upgrade, too much rear breaking can cause the back end to get twitch when breaking into corners.

I've changed the fluid, looked new as it came out, no noticeable improvement.

Sorry to double post, but if I go down the Brembo route, I'll look at Focus RS 324mm discs.

After much internet research, it looks like they're Alfa 155/GTV V6 calipers meant to go with 305mm discs.

Here's a nice adapter that might work...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-ST170-Brembo-325mm-Focus-RS-Disc-Fiat-Alfa-caliper-Bracket-Kit/221148415672?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D5cb1fbcff812499589fc1a726caf99e0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D221014442825

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club