Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Impressions And Mods - Focus Mk3 Zetec S 1.6 Ecoboost 180

trevken

Hello fellow ford fans!

A few weeks ago I upgraded from my old 2010 Fiesta mk 7 Zetec S to a shiny new (to me anyway) Focus with much more power! I am very pleased with the performance and quality increase. From a 120PS 1.6 petrol to a new 1.6 Ecoboost 182PS is an unbelievable power increase for the same capacity and tax banding.

FYI, Having previously had 3 other mk1 Foci in the past (of the 1.6 and 2.0 petrol varieties) I am extremely impressed and do not feel the steering is lacking as others have mentioned.

Fuel wise I am getting 37 mpg average. I was getting about 32 in the Fiesta. I normally drive like a bit of an eco-warrior, smooth and slow when my girlfriend/daughter are on board but can let my hair when there is an open road on my own and it's so much more fun! :)

The handling is probably not as good as the Fiesta. I can feel the extra weight cornering and stopping but nothing major. The ride overall is much smoother though and feels more grown up - with no spine shattering pot-hole encounters.

This new engine also has a lot more potential to eek out more performance and possibly economy via various mods available. I have been reading this forum and others and I am very tempted to go for the Mountune MP200 kit which takes it up to 200 hp but possibly more as they are said to be conservative with their estimates.

The car is just out of standard warranty as it is a 2012 but Bristol Street Ford gave me an extended 12 month warranty above the standard 3 month. I am not sure if going with Mountune will preserve this or if its worth it?

My other reason for considering Mountune is hearing they offer 0% finance.

Right now I am overwhelmed with options, from Bluefin to Pumaspeed remaps that cost around £300-500 to the less reputable looking chips on eBay and Amazon from around £100. There are also options from a company in Germany called racechip.com which look a bit more legit for 150 Euros.

I would probably also get a high air-flow filter to go with these.

Any advice or feedback?

Many thanks, cheers, Trevor

Edit: old and new car pics attached - looks like it went through puberty :)

post-68308-0-08303900-1440873305_thumb.j

post-68308-0-44594700-1440882786_thumb.j

post-68308-0-57477900-1440882792_thumb.j

post-68308-0-23087000-1440882797_thumb.j

post-68308-0-97286300-1440882802_thumb.j

Welcome to the site Trevor!

I was looking at Bluefin for 200 bhp for £399 rather than the substantially more expensive Mountune same 200bhp package. Ive found there are no exhausts out there unless you have one custom made. Milltek said there are no plans to cater for our cars either. All i have done is add a K&N e-9289 open end filter which is great. Its the actual filter out of the 57s-4000 kit minus the replacement lid with K&N logo but it saves you around £70.

Welcome to the site Trevor!

I was looking at Bluefin for 200 bhp for £399 rather than the substantially more expensive Mountune same 200bhp package. Ive found there are no exhausts out there unless you have one custom made. Milltek said there are no plans to cater for our cars either. All i have done is add a K&N e-9289 open end filter which is great. Its the actual filter out of the 57s-4000 kit minus the replacement lid with K&N logo but it saves you around £70.

Hi, thanks WES!

OK, I was wondering what extra the K&N box adds as amazon says it fits on its own. I will be picking that up then! :)

Are Bluefin devices meant to stay connected to your car and then unplugged when you want to return to normal? If so the other companies look like a cheaper option to try which claim higher bhp increases and more options to adjust power settings yourself: http://www.racechip.com/chiptuning/ford/focus/3-dyb/1-6-ecoboost-134kw/index.php

Anyone tried these?

Bluefin has an uprated replacement map in the unit, plug it in your OBD port, it downloads your standard map into the handset for future reversal if required, it then uploads your new map. Disconnect it, put it back in its box and voila, all done and fully reversable back to standard as many times as you want if the car needs software updates etc at Fords.

Ive just looked at your link, it doesnt give a great deal of info but the claimed power figures are interesting.

Wes, did you notice any improvement in performance or noise from the filter change?

Yes mate, both! The car picks up quicker so it feels faster and the induction noise is increased. The turbo pressure blow off is also amplified which sounds like a little dump valve. There is a removable bung in the side of the filter so if you don't want the additional noise then just leave it in place. I paid £54 delivered off amazon for my filter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CR9WY38/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1440876395&sr=8-1π=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=k%26n+e-9289

There is a K&N video of it on Youtube showing dyno runs of an increase of 18bhp!

https://youtu.be/vpzQbFGP4MI

• Like 1

Brilliant, just ordered it. Thanks for the info. I dont want to spend an extra £50 on a pretty air box I don't need and never see!

Wow, 18 bhp increase.I love this turbo Ecoboost!

I fitted the a K&N panel filter to my last Fiesta Zetec S just before selling it and they recon only 3 bhp increase in that NA engine and I never noticed a thing really...

I already find it sounds good, like a dump valve, when I let off the accelerator quick to change gear at about 3000 rpm. So I'm really looking forwards to getting it installed now.

• Like 1

I would be surprised if we do get the full 18bhp but there is a definite noticeable increase. You could always smooth the egg box effect on the inside of your standard lid to make it more like the 57s-4000 lid as that is a little higher and smooth inside. I haven't bothered with mine though to be honest. If i find myself with any spare cash before our first baby arrives i would like to get Bluefin for mine too.

Eggbox, as in, reduce the noise reduction? Good idea. I'll see how creative I feel.

Congrats mate, my brother just had his first baby and I just held her for the first time yesterday. Amazing. He is sticking with his 1.4 Clio as he's only just started driving.

Mine is 16 and she's starting college next week... Time goes so fast!

Cheers mate, 12 week scan on Tuesday so fingers crossed all will be ok.

Smoothing the eggbox effect would be to aid airflow, i wonder if it would make it louder now you mention it. I will let you do yours first!:D

If you do want to have an exhaust system I would suggest MIJ performance in Walsall, I've had 2 cars done by them and sounded awesome. Haven't quite managed to get around to having my 182 done yet but a guy across from my work builds custom systems and uses parts supplied by MIJ but just depends on the cost difference.

Thanks for the info D, I may look into getting a new exhaust system further down the line after intake and remap.

Think it has quit a large decent exhaust fitted as standard (same as the Fiesta ST maybe?) that does sound quite nice already.

Off topic, your Titanium X looks really nice with the sports styling pack like the ZS, you get best of both worlds I guess. Did you get a good deal or tempted to get an ST for that price?

Welcome!

Lovely Focus!

Btw, seems i am the same age as your daughter, i'm also starting 6th Form next week. :)

Welcome!

Lovely Focus!

Btw, seems i am the same age as your daughter, i'm also starting 6th Form next week. :)

Cheers!

Wow, you are about 1 month older than my daughter after checking your profile. My god I feel old now :)

Good luck at collage and getting the car!

I'd better start saving up for hers now!

• Like 1

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting more settled in, i'm sure she is too.

& thanks, not too long to go now! Cant wait for the extra independence my own car will bring, hopefully it will be a red Focus of some sort. ;)

My K and N E-9289 Replacement Air Filter just arrived and I'm about to go and fit it soon.

I am tempted to do the snorkel delete mod at the same time. What do you think?

I'll let you know how it sounds and performs after.

My K and N E-9289 Replacement Air Filter just arrived and I'm about to go and fit it soon.

I am tempted to do the snorkel delete mod at the same time. What do you think?

I'll let you know how it sounds and performs after.

Removed my snorkel the other day, 5 min job but didnt notice any difference. Im running same filter as you with the side bung removed.

Removed my snorkel the other day, 5 min job but didnt notice any difference. Im running same filter as you with the side bung removed.

Strangely enough there is no bung included in this box... Oh well, was gonna remove it anyway.

I may as well try getting rid of the snorkel too.

Its really easy, flat head driver to split the clips apart in the top tray and snorkel and just take your time so you dont drop them.

Fitted the filter no problem.

I'm not sure whether it's just me not being used to the car as I've only had it for a few weeks, but there seems to be a huge difference in sound with the window down just a little. The sound of the actual engine sounds grunt-ier and a deeper tone when under load in low revs.

It sounds like I upgraded the exhaust or something. I assume we have the same exhaust as the Fiesta ST?

The intake whoosh sound has increased (as expected) but even the let-off hiss seem much louder too!?

Performance wise it does seem a little more responsive but due to traffic didn't get to test properly. Plus, I'm used to a 120ps engine so it always seems fast so it's hard to tell if there is a small increase. But I don't care because I love this new noise and was plenty happy with this beast anyway.

It was starting to get dark so I left the snorkel in-place for now. Plus, it's good to get an idea of before and after to see which bit is having what effect.

• Like 1

All the sounds are now amplified due to the open side port on the filter. I think mines great and wouldnt mind an exhaust too but then i remember the drone that comes with a performance exhaust on motorways!

• Like 1

Its really easy, flat head driver to split the clips apart in the top tray and snorkel and just take your time so you dont drop them.

I did try to have a look at the snorkel and took 4 clips out and the rivets but the cover still appeared to be attached to the grill. I'm sure I'll work it out in the proper daylight tho.

BTW - I have never seen an engine compartment look so clean and attractive.

No need to take the cover off, just remove the 4 clips and it will lift enough to get to the snorkel clips and then to remove it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club