Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Osf Droning Noise From 40mph

rg1642

Hi people :)

I have just fitted a new OSF wheel bearing. Pressed it in with a proper front wheel drive press kit and it turned nice and smoothly no noises etc. I had replaced it on advice from mechanics at work so was sure it was a problem. However on driving the car now I am getting a droning noise and some vibration ( I can feel it on the acellerator pedal!) bang on 40mph and above. Below that no problem car drives as it should. Can the new bearing be bad? There is no difference when cornering. Sound is vehicle spped related and not engine speed or gear related and seems 99% to be the OSF area. The wheel balance weights are still on and I am a bit stuck now. Would the bearing behave like this?

Any help appreciated.

Russ

sure its not the other side going

Was it a genuine Ford bearing or pattern part? My NSF bearing lasted 90k miles from new and I had it replaced with pattern part. This only lasted for 20k miles and was replaced by another pattern part. This one was defective from new........ droning and howling as soon as I left the garage. Garage replaced it, obviously free of charge and used another bearing manufacturer. Ironically, the car has now done 148k miles and the other three wheel bearings are still original.

• Like 1

Hi Russ,

I had a similar problem on my car, a 1.6 petrol auto.

Have a read at my contribution in a different thread on this subject. Post #6.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/67160-whine/?p=454379

It did take a while to set up but the results were rewarding and convinced me straight away as to where the problem lay. The trouble in doing the investigation was well worth it in the end.

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 1

Thanks mate. Just hope your wrong in my case. Will check in the week. This drone is LOUD though. You can hear it above the radio, is way over to the right and cornering makes no difference. I am looking next at the disks as they are very old and may have a tiny warp that is vibrating at speed.I doubt it is them though as braking makes no difference. I know its not the wheel balance as I have swopped wheels with no change. I will check the gearbox though just elimainate that possibility, or solve it.

Thanks again. :)

Hiya,

Vendee, very interesting. It was a Lucas bearing from ECP. I am loathe to condemn the bearing yet as there is no noise at all up to 40mph then bang. Drones like hell. It is worth bearing in mind though.

Inatt, this was my next port of call, thanks. Didnt even know there was a bearing there till it was mentioned. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Update

For anyone interested. I had the car on ramps, running and could not recreate the noise without load. There was however a noise from the drive shaft centre bearing. Fitted an ECP driveshaft. A bit better on the road but still the droning was there. Went to Ford and they diagnosed 'Driveshaft centre bearing'!!!! I said I had only replaced it yesterday but they insisted that was the problem. Took shaft back to ECP and got a Ford OE driveshaft. Fitted that yesterday and............ No difference except that I paid twice as much for the driveshaft. Have now sourced a used hub from eBay and will fit when it arrives just to make sure it's not the wheel bearing. To be honest on the ramp I could not hear a thing from the wheel bearing through the stethoscope.

Stay tuned for the next post :0

The car being under load sounds like it's causing the issue

Yeah it's just defining what the issue is. I still think it's wheel bearing and will find out soon. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed. It was the wheel bearing. Fitted a whole hub and carrier, used off fleabay and the noise is gone. Just goes to show not all wheel bearings make 'wheel bearing noises' and not all main dealer mechanics are right. Complained to Ames Ford in Thetford but have not got a reply. Don't expect one really.

Fixed. It was the wheel bearing. Fitted a whole hub and carrier, used off fleabay and the noise is gone. Just goes to show not all wheel bearings make 'wheel bearing noises' and not all main dealer mechanics are right. Complained to Ames Ford in Thetford but have not got a reply. Don't expect one really.

If you are in/near Thetford, I can thoughly recommend Vickers Motors on Brunel Way (about 500 yards walk from Ames). They are an independant garage and I've been using them for about eight years now for mine and my wifes cars.

As for wheel bearing diagnosis... I have found the best way is to jack up the suspect wheel then spin the wheel while holding the suspension spring. You will feel the dodgy bearing through the spring.

P.S. Love the Tiger 750.

Can I ask, what type of wheel bearing tool you used? Was it specifically for gen2 wheel bearings?

Yeah had that at ford too its not the wheel bearing blah blah 😒 I know what a bearing sounds like another garage sorted it a new hub as you said the old bearing fell to bits as it came out but ford mechanics know best.....dont expect a reply ive had a major fall out with my dealer one they broke a bolt hole on the undertray on the second service they broke the other then didn't tighten the bolts so the tray came off while driving then argued you can't fit a silver calcium battery in as there's no room instead fitted a tiny yausa battery without telling me but charged me for the bigger one then told me the rattle from the front was worn driveshafts an easy fix at £700 turned out when they fixed a broken spring they put the strut mount bearing in wrong so a new mount bearing and drop link fixed it total cost £80 oh and they broke my flip key as well

Can I ask, what type of wheel bearing tool you used? Was it specifically for gen2 wheel bearings?

Its not a specific Gen 2 tool and I know it was my fault. It must have been stress on the inner race when I installed it. Yes I am a muppet sometimes! My beef was that Ford were not even diagnosing the problem properly when I had booked it in for a wheel bearing replacement. I know you cant diagnose 100% all the time but when your way off the mark an apology wouldnt hurt.

• 4 years later...
On 9/24/2015 at 12:02 PM, rg1642 said:

Hi when the wear bearing was going did you have any movement in the wheel as I have the same problem but mine start from 30mph and when I turn  right it's ok when turn left  the wheels solid I didnt think it was until I read this many thanks 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club