Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Question!!

sonic113

I took a spin in a relatives 2010 cmax 1.6 zetec and noticed that the steering was a lot lighter than in my focus. Is this normal as I though they where practically the same car more or less?

Maybe the Cmax has electric power steering?

The Mk2.5 Petrol Focus has hydraulic steering, which is certainly less nimble compared to a lot of newer cars.

Don't all Mk2.5s have electro-hydraulic PAS? If so, you'll have an option on the dash screen to change the weight of steering.

I think the 1.6tdci diesels have the electric power steering.

The cmax is the exact same as my focus with the 1.6 zetec engine and hydraulic power steering .

Just very strange how it's way lighter than the focus.

Don't all Mk2.5s have electro-hydraulic PAS? If so, you'll have an option on the dash screen to change the weight of steering.

Nope, the mk2 facelift has hydraulic as per Steves post

Mines electro-hydraulic...didn't realise it was only the 1.6TDCi that was though, wonder why that is?

Tbh, I keep mine on the heaviest setting 'sport' anyway lol. Putting it on comfort is really weird through high speed corners!

Also, maybe your relatives have over-inflated their tyres...or yours are flat...

mines electro-hydraulic mk2.5

nope both my sets of tyres on both cars are the same make and have the same psi so it isnt that. I might do a little fluid change in my p/s at some point to see if that helps.

mine has electric power steering you can steer it using2 fingers no pun intended

Post by JW1982:

The 1.4 and 1.6 Duratec (including the 1.6 Duratec TI-VCT) versions of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 do have conventional hydraulic power steering powered by a pump driven by the engine. On this system the steering weight can not be adjusted.

All other engine types do have the electric hydraulic (EHPAS) power steering. On the EHPAS system you can choose between 3 settings to adjust the steering weight (Comfort, standard or sport).

My experience is that the steering weight of the conventional system feels a bit heavy (especially compared with the full electric power steering of my current Focus MK3). However the heavy steering is completely normal. All different Focus MK2/MK2.5 versions I drove did have exactly the same (heavy) steering.

• Like 2

The steering on my mk2.5 also feels a bit heavy in relation to other cars I've driven - so you're not alone. My other car's a Renault Scenic and has electric steering, it's so light you just have to look at it and it turns, I prefer it tbh.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, I guess its normal for it to be a little bit heavier but you would think as the cmax and the focus are practically the same setup the steering would feel the same on both.

• 6 years later...

Hi there,

I bought a ford Focus trend 5T 1.6 td/ 66kw  DA3 (in Austria) (2009)

Its about 95000 km on this car and i just noticed that it makes a shake and a little sound noticeable when i am about to roll the steering. then it starts a continuous whinning sound (only hearable from outside). Any idea what might be causing this or somebody faced same issue? I looked for a reservoir for the steering fluid to check the fluid but did not see any under the hood.  +

Thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, curiousmind said:

Hi there,

I bought a ford Focus trend 5T 1.6 td/ 66kw  DA3 (in Austria) (2009)

Its about 95000 km on this car and i just noticed that it makes a shake and a little sound noticeable when i am about to roll the steering. then it starts a continuous whinning sound (only hearable from outside). Any idea what might be causing this or somebody faced same issue? I looked for a reservoir for the steering fluid to check the fluid but did not see any under the hood.  +

Thanks in advance

A small whine is normal as it's an electric pump moving hydraulic fluid on these.  The fluid reservoir is under the right hand headlight.  (Passenger side if you have a LHD car)