Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 Zetec S Knocking Noise

hyperkrator

Hi all,

I'm new to this and was opening to get some help, i brought a 56 plate zetec s 12 months ago now, after about 2 months of having the car iv had a knocking noise when pulling off in 1st gear, its like a thumping noise, it sounds like it coming from the drivers side,it doesn't do it in any other gear, its a lot louder when pulling off fast, iv changed 2 engine mount brackets and its still there and i'm now at a lose end and want this sorted.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

I have the same issue with 56 plate tdci Zetec s. I also have twang when turning steering wheel whist car is stationary. Not had a proper look. There is some play in the track rod ends. So il replace them along with drop links and ARB bushes.

Il let you know the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twanging sounds like springs twisting due to bad top mounts.

Had this on my old mk2 Focus after having a broken spring replaced.

Twanging sounds like springs twisting due to bad top mounts.

Had this on my old mk2 Focus after having a broken spring replaced.

Yes il need to consider that.

Lower suspension arm? Easy to have a quick check just kick that front wheel see if it moves

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Thanks for replying, it sound just like a engine mout clunking noise, but its not the engine mouts cause i have replaced them l, as for some of the suggestions its just passed a MOT, surely some of these suggestions woukd of been picked up??

Thanks

For a 30second check to rule it out for now? Mine sounds like an engine mount knock but Deffo isn't

Changed drop links to be sure and then moved onto strut mounts

Ruled out the above and neglected the wishbone and well it was suggested. And it's as simple as turn the steering wheel slightly so you can kick the front wheel from the front on the side you think it's coming from and see what happens! Obviously not foolproof however if it shows any movement worth getting it checked

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Ok mate, just fitting a new battery, will do above and get back to you

Thanks

After further investigation I have found mines to be extremely worn top mounts. The top nut is moving and knocking when I rock the wheel. Can clearly hear and see the play.

Il fit 2 new top mounts and report back.

After further investigation I have found mines to be extremely worn top mounts. The top nut is moving and knocking when I rock the wheel. Can clearly hear and see the play.

Il fit 2 new top mounts and report back.

Told ya :d

Told ya :d

Sure did. Luckily I hadn't embarked on changing anything else.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced both top mounts and bearings today. Immediate remedy for knocking and twanging whisky Turing wheel. Ride is drastically improved also.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeh was pretty straight forward apart from one tough pinch bolt on base of strut. Looked like previous owner had been at it and gave up. Nut was chewed up.

Ended up using an easy out and huge ratched with scaffold pole and got it out.

Cheers for help guys

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi all,

This is the story so far,

i have replaced

2 x front struts/springs and top mounts (although it drives alot better the knocking noise is still there)

I have just ordered new wishbones and drop links just to be 100%.

This is !Removed! driving me up the wall now lol

will report back possibly on Saturday once new parts are fitted

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious did the wishbones fix the knock? :P (psst getting the wishbones off is the easy bit... right pain to get them back in!)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club