Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Noise When Cornering

greysquirrel

I have a 2008 Focus 1.6 Zetec 100. Recently it has started to make an odd clicking noise when cornering at speed. It is not a CV joint.

It sounds electronic and regular, almost like a relay switching. The sound appears to be coming from behind the dashboard towards the left of the car.

The sound only occurs when cornering right at speed - not fast, but enough to load the suspension, like a long sweeping right hander. It sounds a bit like the brake self test noise you hear at 12mph.

I think it may be related to the stability control but it seems to have no adverse effect on it.

Can anyone throw any light on it?

• Like 1

Anyone?

That's the ESP kicking in to keep the car planted on the road.

Start car,

Keep handbrake on,

Scroll through menu to switch off especially.

then take it for a drive,

It won't come on as much

It will automatically turn back on next time you start the car,

Needs to be manually turned off each time.

Use a modified elm327 and elmconfig

to activate level2 menu

This allows you to switch it off while driving,

Instead of having to be parked to turn it off.

It's better on if you're driving enthusiastically as it tricks you in to thinking you're a good driver as it applys the brakes for you to prevent the car going side ways 😉

The ESP is Electronic Stability Program

basically traction control, it monitors the speed of all four wheels at around 25 times per second,

It then independently applies the brakes to any wheel which begins to rotate faster than the rest,

This prevents loss of traction and wheels spin unless of course the tyres are badly worn with no thread in which case ESP can't really help.

It's fantastic in rain conditions but a nightmare in snow because it prevents wheel spin.

If you get stuck in snow with ESP active you can't spin your way out of it.

Best switched off in snow conditions

ESP will also cause uneven wear on the brakes discs and pads.

Because it independently applies brakes to any individual wheel it is possible to wear down brake pads on one side more than the other.

• Like 2

Thanks, It seems a bit strange that I've only recently started to hear it, as I have had the car for 2 years and not heard it before. At the speeds it is happening at, I'd be very surprised if ESP would even begin activating. Maybe the Contis aren't as grippy as I thought they were!

Thanks, It seems a bit strange that I've only recently started to hear it, as I have had the car for 2 years and not heard it before. At the speeds it is happening at, I'd be very surprised if ESP would even begin activating. Maybe the Contis aren't as grippy as I thought they were!

As tyres wear down there grip and brake pads wear it becomes more noticeable

the esp comes on at very low speeds to eliminate any risk it's very sensitive

• Like 1

Are your tyres all at the correct pressure? If not the rolling radius is altered which could explain why it's cutting in earlier. I very rarely feel mine kick in and don't drive slowly, it shouldn't be a frequent thing tbh, unless you drive on the doorhandles in the wet every day.

• Like 1

ESP is a cool feature. If you are going fast into a corner I can here mine kick in as well. The little icon on the dash should light on/off when the esp is working so maybe something to look out for.

So......ESP in the winter or not....is there a definate answer?

So......ESP in the winter or not....is there a definate answer?

esp active in ice or snow is worse than no esp

Esp in rain or dry is best,

Unless you want to slide a bit then esp off in dry is fun

• Like 1

Tyre pressures are fine. The ESP light on the dash isn't flashing, I know what it looks like as the one in my Transit spends a lot of time flashing when it is being driven briskly! Also I never hear it working in the Transit, just feel it. Front brakes on the Focus are under 12 months old, and tyres have around 4k on them.

Im not that worried, everything seems to be working fine, it just sounds a bit odd.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

This sound continued, and got worse. It was the ESP cutting in, as was suggested. I changed the Continental tyres at 2mm, and bought some Davanti tyres (I know, I hadn't heard of them either), and the issue went away completely. Obviously it is a very sensitive system, and doesn't like low tyre tread.

I do like the new tyres though, very quiet and grippy in the wet and dry, haven't upset them yet!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club