Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dagnabit - Interior Panels And Tracker!

jeebowhite

So I installed a tracker with great success, but it seems the tracker has somehow moved and has now fallen in between the outer rear quarter, and the interior panel! because they are welded or secured together, I now cant get at the tracker! there is an access part which is tiny at the top, I can get my hands in, but cant get down to the tracker. bought a claw grabber tool, and the claw isnt wide enough (and your working blind!)

so now I have a £40 tracker stuck and I cant get at it!

I am becoming irritated now!

Anyone got any thoughts? I have tried wrapping double sided tape around the grabber, and going underneath the car, through the cable grommet, and attached it to the tracker, but its not strong enough to bond to it and push it up, I have also tried fishing it out from the top with absolutely no success!

there is insulation material behind it, so plasma cutting an access panel is out of the question I suspect, I certainly dont have any steel cutting tools to put to use, so I am stuck with trying to fish it out I think!

Turn the car upside down and give it a good shake....? :D

j/k of course :P

On a serious note, how about a vacuum cleaner? Try and suck it out.

• Like 1

Nah its too weighty so wouldn't catch the vacuum and also the vacuum attachments are too rigid to go around tight space.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

You can get those attachments for cars, with a flexy hose and small nozzle, but if it is too weighty I guess it won't work.

I assume it is wired in though, can you not pull it up from its wiring?

When it fell it detached from the power cable.

Nothing for it to hook onto lol

I think I need a semi permanent way of sticking something to it that is strong, quick and flexible but won't stick to the rest of the car... Answers on a postcard...

The only idea I have is superglue string to it from under the car, then attach the string to the flexible claw, then push the claw up ad high as I can as straight as I can then try pull it up from there

• Like 2

Are you able to push it up at all from the bottom? Maybe then someone else could reach in and get it from the top?

You can push it about an inch or two but there still isn't enough movement for it to actually make it.... It then falls off your finger and back down.

I honestly think string and glue or more double sided sticky tape is the only answer

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for anyone who should card, I managed to rescue my tracker!

so, I bought a "flexible claw pickup tool", which I tried repeatedly to use, but the claw was not big enough to grab and hold the tracker... so I thought I was stuck!

I went under the car and noticed a small hole where the parking sensor wiring was fed up into the car, and sure enough, there was my tracker! after many thoughts, I thought "stick some double sided tape to the flexi arm, and then attach that to the tracker - push up and recover at the top... that didnt work!

So Instead of playing grab and push, I went for a different tactic.

I took some 8 gauge wire I had lying around, and put this in the claw on the flexitool. Fed this down, and using my phones camera mode, with flash on, I took the claw and pushed it down into the corner where I could reach the tracker. Stuck my fingers into the wiring hole, grabbed the 8 guage, and pulled it through!.

I then got some tape (double sided sticky tape from 99p store, seriously, that stuff STICKS!!!! - on a sidenote, I hung a curtain with that tape at the inlaws near the rear door, my kids grab and swing on the curtain, and the thing has been standing for 3 years!) and I broke a piece off about 5cm, pushed that into the gap, grabbed the wire, and stuck the wire to the tracker.... gave it a few seconds, went to the top and very gently pulled the tracker back to the surface!!! finally! took a few weeks, but got there eventually.

Now to charge, connect and proceed to get it back to where I want it. Sadly though, the magnetic back has been removed, so I may need a new means of fixing this to the car...

• Like 5

It is awesome stuff mate it did the job on repeated occasions!

Only just seen this, other option maybe was the same as how i fixed my leaking boot. Remove rear bumper and pop the rear quarter air vent out giving you a nice big opening to get into the cavity. I would have thought it would be the same on your car.

Not sure, as it's behind the rear quarter panel and is separate from the bumper area (I believe!)

Thankfully resolved now though!

Might be different on the mondeo but that is the large cavity that had soundproofing in on mine. Maybe keep it in mind for the next time something falls in.;)

I plan on duct taping the entire area off. Nothing will return to that cursed land.

• Like 1

Fill it with cavity foam :)

I bet you'll be using your 99p tape to fasten the tracker more securely now :p

• Like 1

Nah will just cover it it will be fine.

And yeah the tape probably will be my fixing choice

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club