Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Warranty ... When Is Runs Out (the Day I'm Dreading!)

L22EEW

I agree with Dave, the Sale of Goods Act is still in the background and on paper at least, you have rights up to six years

from the date of purchase.

I agree with Dave, the Sale of Goods Act is still in the background and on paper at least, you have rights up to six years

from the date of purchase.

It is a lot of agro to enforce though.

I'd rather pay a few hundred quid for a warranty for the hassle alone.

When I bought my used Focus from a local dealer I was offered a three year warranty for £600, which I thought was a bit steep, so I settled for a one year one.

Since the invention of turbochargers & however they are cooled it's always been good practice to let them '' spool down '' for at least 30 seconds before turning the engine off - probably more so now than ever, due to the high rpm these comparatively small turbo's on the 1.0 ecoboost, for example, generate

Ive not heard of any concerns relating to turbos, there will be isolated instances for sure , but was the turbo the cause or consequence of other issues?

Taking into account the amount in operation, the failure rate seems miniscule across all the competitor forums I've read & as above, is it factually the turbo at fault, or consequential damage or incorrect use or unknown other causes ?

There's no doubt the ecoboost engine in all it's guises is a technological marvel, but I do think the unadulterated turbo'd 1.0 litre 3 pot is at it's engineering limit at this moment in time & real longevity is yet to be proven

Time will tell

• Like 1

There is a coolant pump which runs for a few minutes after you turn off the engine. I think it was specifically designed to help cool the turbo after a run so running engine for 30 seconds shouldn't be needed. If you lift the bonnet you can see the coolant in the header tank still flowing around after you shut off the engine. I drive about 20K miles a year and planning on keeping my red for 5 years so hoping it will be reliable over high mileages! Had it 7 months and coming up to my first service.

There is a coolant pump which runs for a few minutes after you turn off the engine. I think it was specifically designed to help cool the turbo after a run so running engine for 30 seconds shouldn't be needed. If you lift the bonnet you can see the coolant in the header tank still flowing around after you shut off the engine. I drive about 20K miles a year and planning on keeping my red for 5 years so hoping it will be reliable over high mileages! Had it 7 months and coming up to my first service.

your right on the electric coolant pump, it only activates when the coolant temp hits a critcial value.it happens when car is driven on high load then parked up immeadiatley. . pcm controls the pump and cools to prevent damage due to heat build up

your right on the electric coolant pump, it only activates when the coolant temp hits a critcial value.it happens when car is driven on high load then parked up immeadiatley. . pcm controls the pump and cools to prevent damage due to heat build up

Is that pump present on all ecoboosts?

Sounds like I have a heavy right foot then. Mind you I don't know whether it runs every time I drive it!

Hence the olde tried & trusted method is a fail safe :)

The 3 pot 1.0 turbo needs to spin @ up to 248,000 rpm to develop the bhp / nm the car needs to achieve momentum

Larger ecoboosts have 4 pots so are less dependent on the turbo to achieve output

Just wondered now that the ST has stop start if you have been running it hard and it stops at a set of lights...

Applies to all of them with stop start really.

Should imagine if coolant temp is above a certain critical amount then the stop start will not function.

Honest John has reports of Ecoboosts issues

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/fiesta-2013/?section=good

I always let my car settle for at least 30 seconds after use, only warranty claim I made was for paint bubbles on the front dress up kit. Only got 6000 on the clock after 2 years use and never wanted to take Frauds extra warranty but did get a good service cover at time of purchase.

• Like 2

To be fair honest john has reports of everything from every manufacured car out there. Lol

• Like 1

Early reports of 1.0 EcoBoosts cooking their turbos because drivers switched the engines off when the turbos were almost red hot.

This is something I wasn't aware of until yesterday. Surely this is a bit naft, having to park up the car... wait for 30 seconds before turning the engine off? There must be something in place to prevent this, as some have already stated - a pump still pumping coolant when engine has been turned off? Thus cooling the turbo down.

Naff ?

Not as naff as a blown turbo - & they have been reported

Yes, the cooling pump will assist in cooling the turbo ( if the pump is functioning ) & the old tried & trusted method of resting the turbo a while is a fail safe

• Like 1

One should never stop learning . . . it's better to know a little about a lot - than a lot about a little i.m.o. & no one knows it all ! :)

• Like 2

There are advantages associated with being an old-ish furt :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club