Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loose Exhaust, Rear Metal Exhaust Coupling Rusted Through

Sheepdisease

i have a Ford Mondeo Edge 2008 and the metal piece which goes into the rubber holder at the rear of the vehicle for the exhaust has rusted through.

The exhaust pipe and box look okay. Looks like a grinding and welding job to remove the remnants of the old piece of metal which is secured to the exhaust box and fix on a new one.

Anyone know whether any metal can be used or there is a particular part to order or if I need to start replacing other exhaust parts?

I had a similar problem on an old Fiesta, took it back to place where I had the exhaust fitted. They were no help said it needed welding but they couldn't do it. Tried a couple of motor spares places and found a bolt on bracket which cost £1.50 and took 10 mins to fit. It was something similar to attached picture.

Hope this helps...

0e2ec91e05cf12d34949a2f297bca6a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar problem with the hanger that holds the back box I just bent up a bit of 3/8ths round bar to,shape and welded that on been fine now for the last 14k miles

Thanks for the replies.

I can't see how the bracket would fix onto the exhaust itself.

When you say round bar, do you mean rebar? As in the stuff that is used to reinforce concrete?

Not rebar though that would do might be a bit thick to go into the rubber mount, just ordinary 3/8th" steel round bar 1/4" would do, it was what I had lying about in the garage.

I have a similar problem but have not got round to having a good look at the whole system. I was thinking of having a stainless steel system made up for it if the current one is kaput. Has anyone done the same and if yes has it made any difference to the cars performance?

Re Dave754: That looks like such a good idea, I'm tempted to get one, 'just in case'.

An alternative approach is to go to a friendly (and failing friendly, 'competent' might be good) exhaust place, explain to them your problem, and see what they suggest. I had a similar problem and the guy welded up a piece of studding (bent to suit) and fitted to the bracket and refitted the heat shields, which had fallen off, for not much money.

It probably helped that I turned up late-ish in the day, on a day when they weren't very busy, and I suspect that at their end it probably didn't formally go through the books, but went into their 'Christmas Drinks Fund', or similar, but it would have taken me ages, grubbing around under the car, but, with the proper equipment they had it all done in 20 minutes to half an hour.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club