Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mixing Tyres

Randoms

So I'm after the consensus regarding mixing all season tyres with summer tyres?

I know & fully understand why/that winter tyres should not be mixed with summer tyres but is this still the case with all seasons?

Should also mention that I would never put different tyres on the same axle.

You should always have a matching set of rubber on all corners. Every tyre/brand/variant has a natural characteristic.

If you find yourself in an emergency situation either end could break away depending on road conditions if you have mismatched tyres.

As an example in France they tend to fit two winter tyres only to the predominantly front wheel drive cars. When I was working there in 2010 and we had that lovely snow there were loads of accidents where cars spun as the frontend held and the rear spun round.

• Like 2

Well said diesel pig, I did explain on a previous thread about putting winter/ all season tyres on front being a bad idea for the same reason, you can control understeer better than over steer, the rear of the car is doing the steering , should be wanting equal grip from front and rear.

Must admit, this is the first year I will have some differing brands of rubber on the corners, and I am not overly thrilled with it really, but then again, I drive to the conditions and feel confident recovering from unexpected blips in the road. I drive my car to the limit of my comfort then I try to push it until I find the cars level of comfort, and then I stick to my level. If all else fails, I know what its level is and I can be prepared for that.

To be honest, they all have slightly different characteristics, but I dont believe there is every going to be a tyre combination out there which has such a severe difference between the two front corners - that you will find yourself spinning in circles at 90 MPH just because the temperature dipped to less than 7 degrees...

Famous last words, and all that!

I had different makes of tyres on all 4 of my old Accord at one point, 1 Accelera, 1 Prestivo, 1 Pirelli and a Continental. And all but one were pre-worn too. I died at least 20 times...

Seriously though, it was a tight time with little money, and I drove like a nun.

I have had though different manufacturers on front and back for years. I ideally go for mid range budget and whatever is on offer, and replace in pairs.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was about to start a thread with the exact same topic, so I thought I'd ask my question here instead of starting a new one. Not meaning to hijack your thread.

I've had my Fiesta for about a year now and in the past I've always just went for cheap tyres. I thought I'd get a decent set on this car so they last longer and stuff. I checked and the tyes it came with are - 1 Continental, 1 Pirelli, 1 Hankook and 1 budget.

I was going to ask how much of an issue this is, but it seems some of the previous replies have already said that its bad. I've been driving on them for a year and not had any issues though, but I drive pretty responsibly. They don't actually need to be replaced yet though, so I really don't want to spend £200-300 on a new set of tyres when these aren't even close to being too worn.

I was about to start a thread with the exact same topic, so I thought I'd ask my question here instead of starting a new one. Not meaning to hijack your thread.

I've had my Fiesta for about a year now and in the past I've always just went for cheap tyres. I thought I'd get a decent set on this car so they last longer and stuff. I checked and the tyes it came with are - 1 Continental, 1 Pirelli, 1 Hankook and 1 budget.

I was going to ask how much of an issue this is, but it seems some of the previous replies have already said that its bad. I've been driving on them for a year and not had any issues though, but I drive pretty responsibly. They don't actually need to be replaced yet though, so I really don't want to spend £200-300 on a new set of tyres when these aren't even close to being too worn.

Don't worry about adding to the thread; personally I'm not overly bothered about having a mix of different summer tyres. (Do try to have same on both axles)

I was more interested in peoples thoughts on mixing all seasons with summers - I know that you shouldn’t mix summers & winters but wasn’t sure with all seasons.

Anyhow I've since bit the bullet & bought full set of 4 x all seasons.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club