Do Not Sell My Personal Information

September 2015 Budget Dash Cam With Screen Reviews Please

bt_cav

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm interested it getting a budget dash cam with a screen ( under £55 ). I'd love to see what you have bought and find out your thoughts on this. There are so many on eBay and thought it would be grate to have up to date guide.

Looking forward to your recommendations and warnings :D

• Like 1

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm interested it getting a budget dash cam with a screen ( under £55 ). I'd love to see what you have bought and find out your thoughts on this. There are so many on ebay and thought it would be grate to have up to date guide.

Looking forward to your recommendations and warnings :D

Hi Brian,

You may like to view my guide here on installing a dual camera HD system very discreet as screen is fitted inside glovebox reduces bulk on the windscreen,

Records full screen for both cameras

Link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/65147-guide-fitting-dual-camera-dvr-system-focus-mk2-mk25/?p=438442

Click on my signature, I have the GS8000L (£20 DashCam) dashcam and rate it highly. Certainly the best budget cam I have got my hands on so far!

Even then, I just bought two new ones - £13 each imported from China, and they both work (One perfectly, the other needs formatting and probably playing with the settings).

I honestly do not think you can get a better budget camera with a screen, than the Novatek GS8000L

Thanks Lenny and James :D

Lenny I really like your ad hock approach and solution. ;)

James that came looks like what I had in mind, really liked your review, very helpful. :)

Keep your thoughts coming, its good to hear about the dash cams to avoid.

I saw BP have dash cams for around £15..... but the don't look up to much..... I could be wrong.....

I imagine the dashcams on offer are like this:

ge-force-car-dash-cam-720p-dashboard-cam

Ordinarily the quality is not overly good, though its better than nothing, though I find the GS8000L is much smaller, and offers a very good quality, its almost invisible unless you are looking for it specifically (its gone un-noticed in my car many times - even when showing colleagues my setup!)

I think the GS is a good starting point for you matey.

• Like 1

Thanks Lenny and James :D

Lenny I really like your ad hock approach and solution. ;)

James that came looks like what I had in mind, really liked your review, very helpful. :)

Keep your thoughts coming, its good to hear about the dash cams to avoid.

I saw BP have dash cams for around £15..... but the don't look up to much..... I could be wrong.....

Thats the one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-1080P-2-7-HD-LCD-Car-Dash-Camera-Video-DVR-Cam-Recorder-Night-Vision-In-UK-/131577773760?hash=item1ea2a57ec0 FHD 1080P

anyone know anything about this?

They recommend a class 6 memory card, dose that mean class 6 and above?

would a class 10 card not be compatible?

It's a further clone of the gs8000l

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

not now, I got mine years ago from eBay through the mum in law for the christmas present. I just bought the last two from China on Ali-Express £13

I can give you the link to that one if you want it, but if you want a UK seller, your paying over double that...

That one looks alright, glass lens, hdmi it could be a genuine one, there are two main brands, novatek (the real McCoy) and umbrella (the common clone) though it doesn't state it in the ad, this could be the novatek, but even then I had the umbrella brand with hdmi and glass lens and it worked perfectly well.

This one could be worth the gamble and you have buyer protection and a years warranty.

• Like 1

As ever, your welcome.

Ordinarily the quality is not overly good, though its better than nothing, though I find the GS8000L is much smaller, and offers a very good quality, its almost invisible unless you are looking for it specifically (its gone un-noticed in my car many times - even when showing colleagues my setup!)

This looks like the one BP were selling for £14.99 in their garages.

Thought as much, that tends to be the type they sell cheap. The wrap Tunis that of the first digital camera's, about. 5 mpxl

I know it's just an advert photo but I like the fact the camera lens is turned the wrong way. (Look at the sucker angle)

Very true

Just to warn you the cheap ones will fail if you have a crash... Ended up in a 30mph shunt because an idiot pulled out, had camera running only to discover in the process of the crash it corrupted the micro sd card was left with Unrepairable 300mb avi file. Luckily didn't need it as it was easily settled. I would spend a up to the £80-£100 mark in future get what you pay for with these things.

Well I can safely disagree with you Scott, or should I say with this model. I had it running and it caught 2 car crashes and where some idiot stole my car and smacked it into the kerb, all 3 events recorded perfectly.

• Like 1

My current set-up.

Front:

post-62796-143427262236_thumb.jpg
post-62796-0-38198000-1434232849_thumb.j

Rear:

post-62796-0-01398100-1444219163_thumb.j

The rear is being delivered some time today (hopefully). What i'm going to do is run both camera's from the front, setting the new cam up directly below the Mobius. If the "new" cam has a wider field of vision (as it claims to have 170 degrees) I might be tempted to mount this at the front. While moving the Mobius to the rear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Mku9vD0b4

Oh, and Mobius video quality, is rather amazing:
post-62796-0-78836000-1444219461_thumb.j

• Like 2

A busy afternoon hard-wiring in the rear dash-cam. Decided to use a hard-wire kit (instead of running of the 12v socket), piggy-backed off the reserving lights fuse:

post-62796-0-01112300-1444283131_thumb.j

... and grounded here:

post-62796-0-99683500-1444283132_thumb.j
Ran the wire along the bottom of the doors, under the trim:
post-62796-0-71684000-1444283135_thumb.j

All the way through to the back, ran the remaining wire up under the side plastic trim. Tucking it under the roof lining, the only visible wire is the "slack" wire. As this is essential for when opening/closing the boot.

post-62796-0-03150100-1444283138_thumb.j

post-62796-0-80807000-1444283139_thumb.j

post-62796-0-13439500-1444283142_thumb.j

post-62796-0-57139200-1444283143_thumb.j

Claims to be 1080P, which I find hard to believe. That's the only downfall, I have messaged the seller asking for a 50% refund. As they've advertised something, that clearly isn't 1080P. If they refuse, i'll return for a refund and just purchase another Mobius. At least I know the video quality of the Mobius is actually 1080P!

Mobius:

post-62796-0-60252700-1444283118_thumb.j
Amkov:
post-62796-0-55855500-1444283115_thumb.j
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All, just been reading through this thread again and really enjoyed your posts, I have only recently received my GS8000L, and still playing with it, so will post some images and hopefully a video soon ;)

• Like 1