Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Duratorq TDCi Engine Layout

carlukeman

I have a problem with my Focus 1.8 Duratorq TDCi (2006 Model), I searched the forum and came up with someone with the exact same problem. It is like an Air sound when I increase the acceleration. I also experienced a fault message at one point; "Engine Systems Fault". After which I lost power and ground to a halt. After turning of the ignition, waiting a few minutes, and restarting, the fault was not there and all seemed fine, but the Woosh of Air was still present when accelerating. The previous advice to the old post was that it was probably the Turbo or possible the pipe to the intercooler that is the problem. Before I take the car to the Ford Garage, could anyone advise on where I will locate the pipes in question? I am sorry to appear ignorant of this, but if it is just a matter of replacing or tightening a pipe clip, then I would give it a go myself. I have searched for an engine diagram on-line without success.

Thanks,

Carlukeman

the most common pipe to split is the intercooler pipe, this is the large pipe which is fitted to the bottom of the egr valve. it can also cause black smoke and a loss of power.

the most common pipe to split is the intercooler pipe, this is the large pipe which is fitted to the bottom of the egr valve. it can also cause black smoke and a loss of power.

Thanks mintalkin,

I will try to locate this pipe tomorrow in daylight. The problem will be establishing where on the pipe the problem is because the leakage only occurs when the car is running and I give the accelerator a bit of welly. The extra power requirement generates the problem. But thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Carlukeman

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks mintalkin,

I will try to locate this pipe tomorrow in daylight. The problem will be establishing where on the pipe the problem is because the leakage only occurs when the car is running and I give the accelerator a bit of welly. The extra power requirement generates the problem. But thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Carlukeman

I just thought I should let you guys know that the problem was a leaking Intercooler Pipe which is now replaced and all is fine. I got the garage to check the "Error Message" that I was getting "Engine Ststems Failure" and they said all is okay now - they lied! Last night when my wife was driving home in the rain she gat the same message, the car ground to a halt and she waited a few minutes and restarted the car - no other warning lights were illuminated. I feel this is an extremely dangerous thing to happen and am going to write to Ford about it. Anyway, I thank you again for your help.

John