Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A C-max, Need Some Advice

gwengo

Hello all, I have a bit of a dilema and I need some of your expert advice.

My wife's car has just been written off. Basically, someone drove in to herand she went spinning off the road and hit a lamp post. Shes allright, but the car was totalled. It wasn't her fault as she was on an island and some old bag didn't look and drove in to the back end of her car from one of the entrances on to the island.

Anyway, the search is on now for a new car. Previously we had a 2005 1.6 petrol ford focus. Which we adored and would have kept it for many years to come, it was a great car and very safe, as the recent accident has just proved.

We are looking for something a little bigger as we now have a toddler and 3 dogs. So we are looking at a Ford c-max as they are perfect for our needs. Question is which fuel type

I've done a bit of research regarding tax & mpg:

C-Max Petrol:
1.6 £180 per year 40.9mpg
1.8 £205 per year 39.8mpg
2.0 £205 per year 38.7mpg

C-Max Deisel:
1.6TDCi £110 57.9mpg
1.8TDCi £145 52.3mpg
2.0TDCi £145 49.6mpg

As this is a slightly bigger car, I think that the 1.6 petrol, might be a bit underpowered, I've also been told to avoid the 1.6 petrol and diesel variants for this vehicle. So really I'm looking at the 1.8s or the 2.0s. Comparing the tax per year, the mpg and also performance the diesels win hands down. However, I really don't think my wife does enough milage to warrant buying a diesel and I am fully aware of DPF issues that modern diesel engines face if not used frequently enough.

My wife probably does about 6k per year which I know is very low. Also our price range is between £3-5k so I'm looking at years of 07 onwards really.

Any advice would be gratefully received! Thanks in advance.

i would personally go for the 1.8 or 2.0 petrol , im biased as i cant stand diesels, the 1.8 and 2.0 petrols are robust engines, no cam belts, (mazda derived engine)

sure others will advise on whats best for you soon.

just watch if you get 1.8 petrol there is a thread on here about it as they can give problems with fuel injectors

just watch if you get 1.8 petrol there is a thread on here about it as they can give problems with fuel injectors

The 1.8 duratec he ?

ah cheers guys, it's advice like this that's much needed :) :) Thank you!!

I have a diesel c max and I love it to bits great on fuel and plenty of go I it I know people say diesel are bad but mine has been great car

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

I had the 55 plate CMAX 1.6 TDCi, was very good, though I had auto which meant fuel consumption wasnt as good! but overall it was a very enjoyable car.

All depends on mileage, if your not going to go near motorways, and your short bursting it, then to be honest petrol is best, though if your going to frequent more miles, go diesel.

• 2 weeks later...

Well thanks all for you advice and experiences for the C-Max. We've taken the plunge now and bought a very tidy 2007 (57) 1.8 petrol, C-Max titanium, in black. Looks awesome and we got a great deal on it. It's done 62k with a full Ford service history and it was all ours for £4,400. The wife loves it so far and I'm pretty gealouse that I won't be driving it as much as her ☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Well thanks all for you advice and experiences for the C-Max. We've taken the plunge now and bought a very tidy 2007 (57) 1.8 petrol, C-Max titanium, in black. Looks awesome and we got a great deal on it. It's done 62k with a full Ford service history and it was all ours for £4,400. The wife loves it so far and I'm pretty gealouse that I won't be driving it as much as her ☺️

It's always good to post some pictures of members new cars :)

Yeah no probs, I'll upload some when I manage to get it released from the clutches of the wife ☺️☺️

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club