Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nokian Weatherproof

Randoms

Right firstly please excuse the waffle (don't usually do reviews etc).

With my front tyres (Continental 5's) hitting 2mm the new tyre search was on, having traded my pickup in for the focus in March I wanted a tyre that might at least give me some chance if we eventually get a coating of the white stuff.

I decided all season tyres were for me because -

1. I don't drive like Lewis Hamilton so trade off in dry handling acceptable.

2. I don't have anywhere to store 2nd set tyres.

3. Because I'm a Yorkshire man I'm to tight to pay for tyres to be changed twice a year.

After trailing through various websites & forums reading reviews etc I narrowed my options down to either Michelin Crossclimate's or Nokian Weatherproof's.

Because both tyres are new there are very few independent reviews on either, both have really good ratings of wet grip/fuel economy & low noise.

Price was the thing that swayed my choice - Nokian's worked out £10 per corner cheaper (Yorkshire man).

So Nokian Weatherproof are Nokian's newest version of the all season tyre, as with most all season tyres it's a winter tyre geared up for summer use (see the following links for more info) -

http://www.nokiantyres.com/company/news-article/nokian-weatherproof-all-weather-tyres-safe-year-round-driving-comfort/

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92863/all-season-tyres-test-2015-top-all-weather-tyres-tested

I ordered the tyres from tyreleader & they took about 11 days to arrive from ordering despite advertising 48/72hr lead time.

My initial reaction was that the tread looks very aggressive compared to your average tyre (suppose that's to be extended) & it's 'V' shaped pattern (very much like the Crossclimate's).

Got tyres tyres fitted at local garage & I've so far done just under 400 miles on them so still early days.

Miles covered on them have mainly been A roads & motorways with odd bit of town driving - tyres are quiet (certainly no louder than the summer continental's), have not affected my fuel economy & handle well.

It's still early days and temperatures still well above the 7c that people say winter/all seasons come into there own so I'll post regular updates.

Apologies for waffling!

• Like 1

I had Nokians on my old 3 Series, good tyre, always looked flat though, even though they were at right pressures. I will look back on this and read any further comments, as I am quite interested to see if they are any good.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

Allseason tyres are an interesting choice: Auto Express have been pushing them as potentially a better choice for UK conditions than the usual summer tyres, and they may have a point.

My feeling on Contis (based on SportContact 3s, not 5s) is that they do have more of a tendency to go off as temperatures go down than some of their competitors. This may have something to do with them primarily being sold into markets where it is normal to use Winter tyres in Winter, so for them possibly cold performance isn't a key issue.

Anyway, I did see that Auto Express review of the all seasons tyres. It was a shame that they couldn't get the Michelin Cross-climates in time for that test, because i reckon they would have had a shout to run the Weatherrproofs close, but at a price. I would have liked to see how that turned out, if they had been able to get the tyres.

I'd be particularly interested in your comments on wear (when you have put enough miles on them to know), because one of the potential disadvantages of low temperature tyres has been the need to make them from relatively soft rubber, so I'm interested to see how that works out. Maybe, they have found some new trick that improves matters...

I got nokians for my sons audi from mytyres.co.uk i believe they came form sweden direct. he used them for long periods over winter whilst being in germany and over here they are actually nearly 3 years old now and have half the tread remaining (pity one got trashed by a kerb) He would reccomend them and thats saying something

So, presumably, they wouldn't be Weatherproofs, as Weatherproofs are relatively recent?

You are correct but; i was only commenting on someones experience with Nokian winter tyres and how they have lasted.

Hey Martin, will be looking forward to your experience with nokian weatherproofs..Please update the thread especially about the snow traction/braking

• Like 1

Here are a few photos of the tyre/tread, very similar pattern to other winter & all season tyres on the market.

post-63857-144448602598_thumb.jpg

post-63857-1444486037_thumb.jpg

post-63857-144448604882_thumb.jpg

post-63857-144448605966_thumb.jpg

Looks good, I am certainly interested to see what the further comments are!

Hi, the tyres he has are Nokian WR A3. They were used for 2 winters from October to April on both occasions when he was posted in Germany. Until he clipped a kerb this year :((

post-34345-0-21346100-1445096336_thumb.j

post-34345-0-52519100-1445096678_thumb.j

Very interesting thread. I'm keeping tabs on this one, we get some grim winters here in the North West.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

my car >>>2015 Fiesta titanium x with contact 2 tyres 195/50 R16 which will not be so good this winter

So have come to the same conclution re weatherproof or cross climate tyres

will have to decide soon. I was thinking about 2nd set and maybe reducing wheel size but adding pressure gauge cost proved too expensive over £650 for full set. Note neither Michelin or Nokia make 195/50 R16 so will have to go to 195/55 R16 tyres instead which Honest John and local ford dealer say should not cause problems but not to rely on speedo readings as it will no longer underestimate speed. NB. will also need to inform insurers

If you don't want to change tyre size from original fit you could try Maxis AP2 all season tyres - do them in 195/50/16.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been 2 months now since I had the full set of weatherproof's fitted and I've covered at least 2k (sorry didn't pay much attention to odometer when fitted).

The Nokian's are very quiet - definitely no change in cabin noise compared to previous summer continental's (wife & fathering law also agree).

I also find the feedback and grip to be really good, wear - the 8mm indicator on the tread is still clear as day but then I have only driven 2k so would expect that.

Obviously can't coment on snow/ice handling but if the press reports are correct armageddon will soon be here!

I'll keep this thread updated.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club