Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tires Tires Tires... Go Larger?

KumiSinghs

Hi Guys,

This has been discussed before but no ones really posted a review or stated if any amendments are needed.

My Zetec S has a really harsh ride, I wasn't expecting this but have been told its normal because of its sports suspension. I was wondering if changing the tire size would help somewhat.

Currently they are 195r45/16, I would like to up it to 205r50/16.

Would this improve ride quality?

Will the new tire fit on the existing alloy?

Cheers my dears!

Yes the tyres will fit and improve the ride but may look a bit wierd. But I have done this on my last fiesta and it improved the ride by loads

Hi Guys,

This has been discussed before but no ones really posted a review or stated if any amendments are needed.

My Zetec S has a really harsh ride, I wasn't expecting this but have been told its normal because of its sports suspension. I was wondering if changing the tire size would help somewhat.

Currently they are 195r45/16, I would like to up it to 205r50/16.

Would this improve ride quality?

Will the new tire fit on the existing alloy?

Cheers my dears!

What pressure are you running the tires?

I always run 34psi on fronts and 32 on rears regardless off which car I have

You will knock the speedo out though admitted not by very much but say 70mph on the clock will actually be 74mph as an example. Google it to be sure but it will affect the actual road speed as apposed to your speedo reading

I wouldn't of thought 195 -> 205 would fit considering this only increased the width making them wider. You are better staying with 195/50/16. This is used on 2013+ models. It does take the speedo up 3.26%. That will knock the speedo out considerbly more. I went from 195/45/16 to 195/55/15 2.41% more It is suggested to not take it any more or less than 2.5% from factory fitted otherwise you'll likely need a speedo recalibration.What an incredible difference on smoothness when it comes to bumps and pot holes. Remember the second digit always increases the size of the tyre. The width wouldn't do much apart from rub on the arches when turning the wheel.

I'd say go for it. My Tit has 16" something or other, I didn't realise it but my test drive Tit had 15" something or other, MUCH smoother. They didn't say that on the test drive, what a surprise. My 16's tend to t_r_a_m_p across the road quite often. Well ok, maybe I push it a smidgen.

I can't believe the word t_r_a_m_p was removed, crazy, it's 2015 fgs.

I'm gonna change mine to 215/40/17 from the standard 205's to fill the arches and gain 4mm ride height.......

I'm not sure what the conclusion was. Change to 195/50/16 or 195/55/15 or 205/50/16. I presume that I do not have to change the first number as i don't want it to rub against the arches (not really into lowering or making the car look like it's lowered).

No just the middle number for a bit more comfort mate

From what I remember working in a tyre centre years ago you go up the 1st number and down the second to keep it as close as possible for your speedo to be accurate. Just Google what you wish to do tyre size wise and there will be a calculator

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but it's exactly what I would like to do, my tyres are totally worn down, I have the 195/45/16 on my Titanium and do feel that they are to hard for our SA roads, so I will be going with 195/50/16 just to give it that bit more side wall protection, anyone tried this, and how did the comfort level change if any?

Price wise they are crazy, they are almost double the price than standard 16 inch tyres because they are such an odd size, went to 5 different place, and the cheapest I could find was Dunlop SP Sport LM 704, anyone tried these? had Dunlop's on my previous car and they kept up well with the road use.

Done this it was loads comfy but it just didn't look right on my old mk7 but ride quality was loads better

I always run 34psi on fronts and 32 on rears regardless off which car I have

That might be contributing to why it feels so harsh. Probably not high enough though to be proper harsh. I have a pot hole in my road, and depending on my tire pressures depends on how much I feel it.

Most of our roads in the Western Cape is not as bad as they would you believe on National Geographic :P

But we do get the pot hole now and again and 45 profile tyres are not ideal, hens I decided to go to the 50 profile, it shouldn't make that big of a difference looks wise, sins 50 profile is still a low profile, but it should help with comfort if only a bit.

Price is the other problem with tyres, can't believe how much prices have gone through the roof, they are charging me the equivalent of $500 to $700 for 4 tyres :o

• 2 weeks later...