Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cylinder 4 Misfire. Help.

mattyboy_13uk

Help needed. I've posted about this situation before but it still going on. My partner has a Ford Focus 2000 1.4 16v and is having a cylinder 4 misfire. The spark plugs, ignition leads, Speedo Sensor, idle control valve, accelerator sensor, fuel rail with for injectors and catalytic converter has been replaced. The AA diagnosed the cylinder misfire and replaced the ignition coil it started to misfire 2 days after has anyone got any any Solutions?? Driving speed is very poor and spluttering in low revs then bursts into power after it eventually reaches 2000-3000 RPM

couple of questions

are you sure its still misfiring on no 4 or taking it for granted its the same cylinder...ie, has it been tested and/or codes read since the coil pack was replaced.

can you also update the time frame of when all those parts were replaced.

I would check for fault codes first, if possible, do a compression test to eliminate any chance its not mechanical problem rather than electrical/fuel fault.

The engine management light stayed off for about 2 weeks but was still misfiring. The light came back on and the fault code was misfire cylinder 4 . The timeframe of all the stuff replaced has been in the last few weeks after the coil pack was put on. I will need to find someone who can do a compression test I think :-/

If the compression test is not what it should be. What could be the problem?

Could be inlet manifold and/or gasket, an air leak there can cause an uneven fuel/air mix in one cylinder.

Try spraying a bit of carb cleaner around the manifold while the engine is running, if there is a leak then the duff cylinder will fire up while spraying.

If the compression is low then you've probably got a burnt valve. Has the injector been looked at?

A leak in the inlet manifold should cause an imbalance in the mixture on all cylinders not specifically that one.

I had a leaky manifold gasket on a Honda a few years back and only one cylinder was misfiring.

Not to say that the other cylinders weren't affected to some degree but the one nearest the leak was the main problem.

The bursting to life at 2000-3000rpm is the exact same thing as I had which is what draws me in that direction.

I'm sure Matthew would rather first pay a couple of £ for a can of carb cleaner than expensive diagnostics/compression tests.

I would think that a nacked valve would be trouble all the time no matter what the revs were.

I had a leaky manifold gasket on a Honda a few years back and only one cylinder was misfiring.

Not to say that the other cylinders weren't affected to some degree but the one nearest the leak was the main problem.

The bursting to life at 2000-3000rpm is the exact same thing as I had which is what draws me in that direction.

I'm sure Matthew would rather first pay a couple of £ for a can of carb cleaner than expensive diagnostics/compression tests.

I would think that a nacked valve would be trouble all the time no matter what the revs were.

I agree, a burnt valve would cause running issues throughout the rev range.

For the fact the misfire went away for 2 days and come back, I suspect it's electrical. What brand are the coil, leads and plugs? The old focus never did like aftermarket parts in that region.

The coil pack I got told was a foreign after market 1 . Thats all I was told. The plugs and leads were a well known brand :-)

Do you mean the inlet manifold gasket or the exhaust manifold gasket. The front and the cat exhaust are new,

The coil pack I got told was a foreign after market 1 . Thats all I was told. The plugs and leads were a well known brand :-)

I have had issues myself and know of others who have had issues with well known after market brands and the only solution was to fit genuine. I was getting 6 months from coil packs though and once fitted with genuine parts it never happened again.

I bought a 2002 Fiesta 1.4 (same engine I guess?) with a misfire, previous owner had changed coil pack for an aftermarket part as well as loads of other stuff. I replaced it with a genuine one and fixed the problem. :)

Can't say for price as I got it on trade lol.

• Like 1

Defined genuine. Straight from Ford themselves?

Yes direct from Ford. Although you may be able to find the right part cheap on eBay if you're lucky, obviously make sure it's marked Ford/Motorcraft and the correct part number if buying on eBay though.

Will have to have a quick look. From Ford they are wanting 63+ VAT

How costly was a genuine part stef ?

I cant remember how much the coil was but I know the leads were a bit steep in price - then again, buy cheap buy twice which usually costs you more anyway lol.

so 76 quid for a coil, 14 quid ish for a set of genuine plugs plus a set of leads, which if I recall were around 50 quid!

£30 for the coil the ford one is just a Bosch coil pack theres no difference at all....all ford do is get a fomoco sticker put on it so no need to spend silly ford money on a coil eBay will get u a Bosch one for that the leads ide get from ford as they are more robust but they are also Bosch

Artscot79 the coil pack you have tagged on the link ain't for a 1.4 16v and is not compatible it says

• 7 months later...

im no expert and i know this was posted ages ago but my 2002 focus has an oil leak in the gasket cover which ruins the coil pack,plugs and blows the cat. just a suggestion

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club