Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Start-up Fault, No Response When Key Is Turned.

Hutchy70

Hi Everyone,

Hope somebody can come up with a possible solution to this fault. I have a 2006 2.0L TDCi Diesel Hatch (6 speed manual).

The Fault

Sometimes when I turn the key to start the car I get no response at all (just silence). I wait for the self checks to complete and the lights to go out and then attempt to start, but nothing happens not even the dials sweep round or the lights dim, there is no click as if it was trying to turn the starter motor. sometimes I can do this 4 or 5 times before it starts. This only happens intermittently, most times it starts first time. The battery is fully charged and the terminals are clean and tightly secured so no problem from that. It's as if a relay is not pulling in (but which one), or could it be an earth fault ? It doesn't matter whether the engine is hot or cold or what the weather is like.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated as it's really starting to annoy me :wub:

Have you tried changing the battery in the key and recoding it to the car? That might help. My glow plugs didn't come on till I did that, strange I know

Have you checked the starter motor it self. Ive heard that when the clutch flywheel starts to break down the fileings end up clogging starter motor. hence making starter not turn properly

Have you tried changing the battery in the key and recoding it to the car? That might help. My glow plugs didn't come on till I did that, strange I know

Hi and thanks for your response.

I'm sure the battery in my key is fine as I can lock and unlock the car from 25 yards away. However I tried using my spare key in case it was something strange but I still get the same symptoms. This start fault is intermittent, so I don't think it's a key problem.

Anyway, very many thanks for your help, every suggestion helps eliminate possibilities. :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Bob.

Have you checked the starter motor it self. Ive heard that when the clutch flywheel starts to break down the fileings end up clogging starter motor. hence making starter not turn properly

Hi, and many thanks for your input. The thing is I get no clunk sound as if it's trying to engage the bendix also there is no battery drain (lights dim) when I turn the key. However to follow through on your thoughts of it being the starter motor, I connected a cable to the starter motor positive and put a meter across that and ground whilst someone tried to start the car. and found there was no supply getting to the starter. So I still suspect it's a relay/contactor problem intermittently failing to pull in, also when I had my old battery in and it went flat, the dials used to spin right round and back again, also my computer settings would be reset to default. That does not happen now, the new battery has enough full power to take the cranking current repeatedly if needed.

However, thank you so much for your reply, every suggestion is much appreciated and worth investigating :rolleyes:

My very best regards,

Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried the transponder ring around the ignition barrel aswell??.Thats what picks up the signal from the key to start car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club