Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Odometer Display Problem

l3igjimmy

Hi

I got in my car a the weekend and noticed my LCD displaying my mileage was displaying what I thought was a message, it looked like it was displaying CL:CL . I googled this and could not find anything remotely like it. After further searching I realised I probably need a new Instrument Cluster so I purchased one on line from a reputable dealer. I have not received the cluster yet but after further enquiries it seems like it is the cluster that has the mileage memory not the ECU I can no longer see the mileage currently on my car and I read that there may be legal issues in changing the cluster.

I would like to know 1. Is the current LCD repairable 2. is there anyway at all of finding my current mileage (it's quite low for the age of the car) 3. Is there anything else I should do either before or after I change the cluster.

My motor is a Mk1 (2002) 1.8

Be aware that the cluster forms a part of the PATS immobiliser system on your car.

Basically if you swap it for another one the car won't start until the cluster is programmed to match the ECU.

For this you need access to a Ford IDS module and relevant software.

On the focus MK1 the instrument cluster is not a part of the PATS system. The instrument cluster of the focus MK1 can be changed without any problem.

On the focus Mk1 the mileage is only stored in the instrument cluster. If the instrument cluster is no longer showing the mileage and repair is not possible (technically or financially) there is no way to determine the actual mileage.

Thankyou for your replies so far, which leads me to my next question. Here is a pic of how my odometer looks at the moment. In your opinion, what do you think the chances of 1. me being able to repair this with a bit of solder. 2. Is it repairable at all. Cheers

Ca2pture.bmp.jpeg

looks like just failure of the lcd display itself , yep should financially viable for repair.

whether you do it yourself depends on availability of the part and your inclination towards electronics......

• Like 1

Looks like the screen has leaked between the layers.

• Like 1

Yeah it's weird, One of my biggest frustrations with cars is when you park up and your car is perfectly fine, you get in the next day and wham, it's knackered, 3 weeks before your MOT is due too.

Think I may have to bit the bullet and go to a professional. I can't even find an LCD on line let alone a 'how to' on replacing it. I'm going to take the cluster out tomorrow and just have a look to see if there's any obvious degredation of the solder, if I can't see anything it's Wallet whipping time :angry:

I'll let yas know how I got on. Thanks for the advice and information guys.

Well I've had a touch of luck. I took out the cluster, fairly basic except I didn't know about the little catch on the connector but sussed it eventually. Had a look at the LCD but couldn't see any signs of any issues. So with a sigh I replaced the cluster, drove to Halfords to get an interior light for my engine management light (LCD display still not working). Heading back coming towards a speed camera so looks down and low and behold it was working. I'm crossing my fingers now that it doesn't go again before my MOT in 3 weeks.

So thanks again for all the advice.

20151003_171529.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have a 2007 Focus ST with very low mileage.  My mileometer / odometer display intermittently cut out for some months, displaying nothing, and then came back working as normal.  However, now the display is showing what looks like a string of random characters, but possibly an error code, 83220CN32 097 SLM. I have taken it to a Ford agent, who could not fix it, only offering to replace the whole instrument cluster with a new one at considerable cost (unknown).  They did however, recommend a new battery.  Is it likely that replacing the battery might reset the computer and sort things out?  I presume that as the mileage of the car is not displayed, it will fail the MOT.  Any advice welcome as it's really worrying me!

Edited by SimonM
Additional information

• 11 months later...

If i put petrol in and get an estimate of 350 mls the real amount of mileage i get is more like 305 to 310.

i had a screen go on my car a while ago all  did was take the lcd screen out of one i bought onkine and put it in my cluster job done no programing or any thing like that

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club