Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CAN COIL MISFIRE ON ONLY 1 CYLINDER

pikecatcher

My V reg Fiesta 1300 was running badly. A diagnostic tune up man said that it was not firing on No4 cylibder, and that the coil was to blame.

Put a new coil on.....and it's running much worse!!

Is it possible for a coil to play up on just one cylinder? What the heck else could it be?

Why is it running worse?

I have been told that if a coil plays up, it will affect all clyinders not just one - and that my diagnostic man was talking *****. Also, removal and refitting of the old plug leads may have seen them off, and that I should try replacing these......

Help!

the only true way to test a coil pack is with a park plug lead, as it could be the leads or a plug which could cause the missfire.

the only true way to test a coil pack is with a park plug lead, as it could be the leads or a plug which could cause the missfire.

Thanks for that mate but my question originally was, can the COIL play up only on 1 cylinder?

I paid a guy £40 for a diagnostic report that said so. Was he giving me bullshit? If it fails, will it fail on all cylinders. As you say, it could be a lead.......................

Yes a coil can cause a misfire on just one cylinder! were the spark plugs replaced when the coil was as it could have been down to a faulty plug! if the mechanic who come round didnt do this or even advise you do this then i'd say he wasnt very professional to be honest! i would get yourself a new set of plugs if they havent been done already.

To quote someone else, start cheap and get expensive.

ie plugs --> leads --> coil

I had massive corrosion on one lead, where it joined the coil, causing that terminal to corrode too. Replaced the pugs, lead, and pack. Perfec.

To quote someone else, start cheap and get expensive.

ie plugs --> leads --> coil

I had massive corrosion on one lead, where it joined the coil, causing that terminal to corrode too. Replaced the pugs, lead, and pack. Perfec.

Thanks all. Original home tune man WAS crap - claimed to have checked the plugs, didntt actually get them all out!

Rpplaced coil,plugs and leads, now much better.......

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club