Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic wing mirrors not working

leeposh

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I've got a brand new ford fiesta titanium 1.6 tdci which has been brilliant so far. I've had it 4 weeks. However, tonight all of a sudden, the automatic wing mirrors are not folding in or out when unlocking/locking the car. Has anyone else had this problem or have i done something wrong? I'll take it down my ford dealer and get it sorted, but just wondered if I'd overridden something somehow.

Cheers,

Lee

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I've got a brand new ford fiesta titanium 1.6 tdci which has been brilliant so far. I've had it 4 weeks. However, tonight all of a sudden, the automatic wing mirrors are not folding in or out when unlocking/locking the car. Has anyone else had this problem or have i done something wrong? I'll take it down my ford dealer and get it sorted, but just wondered if I'd overridden something somehow.

Cheers,

Lee

Hi Lee. Did you fold the mirrors using the manual fold button? * You might have accidently done this using the round button inside the car btw.

http://issuu.com/stalker1971/docs/new_fiesta_manual/25

See page 56 of the above manual.

Hi Lee. Did you fold the mirrors using the manual fold button? * You might have accidently done this using the round button inside the car btw.

http://issuu.com/stalker1971/docs/new_fiesta_manual/25

See page 56 of the above manual.

Thanks for the reply Nightowl. It is possible I did, although both are stuck fully folded so not sure how i would have managed that. I can't see where it says to get it back into automatic mode again.

Thanks for the reply Nightowl. It is possible I did, although both are stuck fully folded so not sure how i would have managed that. I can't see where it says to get it back into automatic mode again.

The manual seems to suggest that if they are folded manually, they will only unfold manually. Once unfolded manually, they will automatically fold next time you lock, and automatically unfold when you then unlock.

There's a lot of folding in that sentence.

I hope that all you need to do is unfold them using the manual button, and then things should be back to normal. I would try it myself but I DON'T HAVE MY CAR YET :angry: :P .

• Like 1

Just to add.

Fold mirrors out using the knob on the door mirror control.

Then switch radio on,press MENU,then VEHICLE.

What you are looking for is LINK TO LOCK,Make sure that the link to lock option has a dot in the box,then when it is press OK.

Mirrors should work ok.Using the door mirror knob overrides LINK TO LOCK.

I also happened to me.

• Like 1

Just to add.

Fold mirrors out using the knob on the door mirror control.

Then switch radio on,press MENU,then VEHICLE.

What you are looking for is LINK TO LOCK,Make sure that the link to lock option has a dot in the box,then when it is press OK.

Mirrors should work ok.Using the door mirror knob overrides LINK TO LOCK.

I also happened to me.

Thanks for everyones help on this. I must have leant on the manual button on the door. I managed to manually unfold and then next time I locked the car, they folded in automatically. So everythings fine now. Cheers.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Thanks everyone you also helped me as this has just happened to me! Saved me some money as though relays had gone!

• 7 months later...

Thanks to you all on this subject. I have recently bought a 2013 Fiesta Titanium and have to say I am really pleased with it. Being an ex Ford employee I suppose I should be!! This morning I went to fill up and when I came back to the car and opened up I noticed the wing mirrors weren't working. I was going to phone Dealer on Monday - however I decided to have a look opn this site!!! Bravo I done exactly what you guys said and now my mirrors are working again. Thank you and Happy New Year to you all and good motoring. TedMac

• 3 years later...

I just open all dashboard for service air conditioner

After install it again..

Key lock for door can't auto for auto folding mirror

I check on menu there is no auto folding mirror menu

Any advice..?

Thanks

I've just turned off the auto mirrors as I'm worried about them freezing shut and then trying to open as I unlock and burning out the motor - am I being over cautious?

59 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

I've just turned off the auto mirrors as I'm worried about them freezing shut and then trying to open as I unlock and burning out the motor - am I being over cautious?

No you're not.   This happened to me about 10 years ago.

• Like 1

I always have mine on manual. Partly as above (freezing) but also since I don't always want them to fold. E.g, when I park on the drive. Using auto-fold every time I can imagine a nasty cog chewing sound will occur sooner rather than later :biggrin:. I'm just a tad pessimistic.

• 1 year later...

When I bought my Fiesta in 2013 I had problems with the Electric Folding Mirrors not working and thanks to guys on here helping I sorted them. Now 4 years later the same thing has happened and probably an age thing 😁 I have forgotten how I fixed them and can't find the article again that sorted it out. Anybody help and Old Transmission worker 😁 😁 please 

Edited by Ex-Tranny-Worker
I put this item into wrong feed sorry I didn't realise this was for replies to another persons request

• 11 months later...

iv'e just bought a 2015 kuga TIT X, and I cant get the mirrors to fold in, having just got it is there something im missing, Should do it auotmaticlly on the fob there are no buttons inside that I can see..Cheers digger

Interesting to learn of other people's problems with automatic wing mirror closure on Ford Fiestas. I was driving yesterday morning and was caught in traffic as there was a breakdown in Blackwall Tunnel (northbound) so lots of stopping and starting, which may have caused the problem. I joined the M11 and to my horror realised the wing mirrors were in closed position. I came off the motorway ASAP and looked in the handbook. Nowhere did I see how to unlock them. I rang for assistance and when help arrived I was shown where the small button on the door was which opened them. Why they locked I do not know but it was quite scary and dangerous. Barbara Ray

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Ford Fiesta zetec 13 reg and when I drove it home I realised I didn't know how to fold the mirrors in and I live in a very busy area. The manual does say it can be manually folded but I don't know in what sense they mean this. If I push the wing mirrors in with my hand will they snap off and break or will they just work like wing mirrors on an older car? 

I'm yet to try the automatic lock settings accessible via the menu page on the screen. I just wanted to know for peace of mind if I can push them in without breaking anything. 

I look forward to anyones suggestions😊

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone - I have a 2012 Focus and wing mirrors stopped working automatically. The solution for the Fiesta is the same as the Focus. I must have accidentally pressed the concealed manual button. All sorted, many thanks.

• 6 months later...

Daughter has a 2016 1l ecoboost titanium x fiesta.Auto fold door mirrors not working as they should tried lots of different things suggested on forums none work. when sitting in car with ignition on both mirrors will fold in and out using door switch. The only way we can get any action after getting out and shutting door, is by double locking car with the fob and then immediately  double locking car using door handle then both mirrors will fold in, but however you unlock the car door handle or fob only passenger mirror folds out. If you want mirrors in you have to do this every single time.

has anybody got any suggestions please

• 7 months later...

Can anyone help please, I haveJust had a repair done to my electric drivers door window, and nowThe folding wing mirrors don’t work, it’s a very nice looking 08 plate ford Fiesta ztech

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Ford Fiesta titanium x 63 reg. my mirrors have always worked brilliantly up until now - folding on lock. 
However this has now stopped working and the mirrors won’t fold when the vehicle is locked. Only the passenger side folds when I press the manual button inside. The driver side stays open.

i have checked the system settings - all looks ok there. Could it be the fuse? If so, does anyone know which fuse is for power folding mirrors? I’ve looked in the manual but it doesn’t seem to be listed. 

3 minutes ago, Fiesta63 said:

I have a Ford Fiesta titanium x 63 reg. my mirrors have always worked brilliantly up until now - folding on lock. 
However this has now stopped working and the mirrors won’t fold when the vehicle is locked. Only the passenger side folds when I press the manual button inside. The driver side stays open.

i have checked the system settings - all looks ok there. Could it be the fuse? If so, does anyone know which fuse is for power folding mirrors? I’ve looked in the manual but it doesn’t seem to be listed. 

The mirrors are on the same fuse so it won't be that simple unfortunately.  As the drivers side doesn't fold at all, that one will be faulty and more than likely stopping the automatic function.

Is it possible that mirror has been knocked backwards in a car park or on a garage wall?  I'd try folding both mirrors in manually, and then pressing the button to see if they both unfold.  If the drivers still doesn't work, I'd suspect the motor has broken.  I assume the mirror itself moves and the indicator still works, just the folding part that doesn't?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The mirrors are on the same fuse so it won't be that simple unfortunately.  As the drivers side doesn't fold at all, that one will be faulty and more than likely stopping the automatic function.

Is it possible that mirror has been knocked backwards in a car park or on a garage wall?  I'd try folding both mirrors in manually, and then pressing the button to see if they both unfold.  If the drivers still doesn't work, I'd suspect the motor has broken.  I assume the mirror itself moves and the indicator still works, just the folding part that doesn't?

Thank you for your reply! I’ve never knocked the mirrors myself but it was stolen in April and who knows what happened to it then. The mirrors worked for the first couple of months of having it back and then stopped working. I did notice, before it was stolen, that they hadn’t folded on lock on a couple of occasions but the problem seemed to correct itself for a little while. 

The mirror itself still moves, although I think it doesn’t tilt as far upward as it should. Apart from that the mirrors themselves are both fine, as are the indicators. 

How much are we talking to replace the motor? Megabucks? I only have street parking outside my house so they’re brilliant! 

I won’t snap the mirrors by folding them by hand will I?

14 minutes ago, Fiesta63 said:

Thank you for your reply! I’ve never knocked the mirrors myself but it was stolen in April and who knows what happened to it then. The mirrors worked for the first couple of months of having it back and then stopped working. I did notice, before it was stolen, that they hadn’t folded on lock on a couple of occasions but the problem seemed to correct itself for a little while. 

The mirror itself still moves, although I think it doesn’t tilt as far upward as it should. Apart from that the mirrors themselves are both fine, as are the indicators. 

How much are we talking to replace the motor? Megabucks? I only have street parking outside my house so they’re brilliant! 

I won’t snap the mirrors by folding them by hand will I?

People generally replace the whole mirror, I don't think the fold-motors are available separately.   

Buying a genuine used one from a breakers is likely to cost around £75.  Or you can buy brand new aftermarket for around £45.  The colour doesn't matter as the caps can be swapped easily.

The mirrors are designed to fold closed manually, you shouldn't break them by hand.  Only thing is the broken one might be seized in position - just don't force it if it won't go easily.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

People generally replace the whole mirror, I don't think the fold-motors are available separately.   

Buying a genuine used one from a breakers is likely to cost around £75.  Or you can buy brand new aftermarket for around £45.  The colour doesn't matter as the caps can be swapped easily.

The mirrors are designed to fold closed manually, you shouldn't break them by hand.  Only thing is the broken one might be seized in position - just don't force it if it won't go easily.

You’ve been really helpful. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

Me again! I’ve been eyeing up a new mirror on eBay. £75 on the nose just as suggested. However, I haven’t done anything about replacing the mirror just yet. My mirrors have randomly started to fold again when my vehicle is locked! They haven’t worked for weeks! I checked all of the vehicle settings as described, it definitely wasnt that. Also the manual fold button pushed only the passenger side to fold in, the driver’s side stayed put. I’ve been pushing them both in manually. 

I’ve now remembered that I had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago, but for a much shorter time period. They started working again shortly after, until my previous post a few weeks ago. 

why so temperamental? I was fairly sure it was a motor problem as described above. Is it possible that the motor is on the way out but not fully kaput? Or is it likely to be something else entirely?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club