Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stone chips - anyone had problems?

Nightowl

Seems to be a bit of a global issue with the new Fiesta. Having said that - some appear to be luckier than others. Also; it appears to be affecting the 5-door moreso than the 3-door.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/...54.html#c351423

Collected my new Fiesta last week and noticed clear plastic strips glued to this area. Was told they were to protect against scuffing as the the rear passengers entered the car (exactly why the path of their feet would take this route I don't know!). Evidently these plastic strips must be Ford's solution.

Hi T55, could you upload a photo showing the clear plastic strips? I think this would be useful ammo to take to Ford if this happens to any of the Mk7s on here :)

I noticed some plastic bits on the lower part of the opening to the door due to their being wax still in it - wondered what it was about . . maybe it is this?

Hi T55, could you upload a photo showing the clear plastic strips? I think this would be useful ammo to take to Ford if this happens to any of the Mk7s on here :)

Will take some photos at lunchtime.

Took a good look at my car this morning before work, drivers side is fine but passenger side has one chip exactly like reported above :(

Interesting to note on page 2 of the above website that Ford are aware of the problem and - from August - all new cars off the production line had a "foil strip" fitted. The following is a European memo from Ford:

A small number of new Ford Fiesta 5-door customers have contacted Ford of Europe as they are concerned about paint chipping that has occurred around the lower edge of the rear door aperture on their particular car.

We are aware that a small number of cars are affected, although this issue may have been caused by particular driving conditions or terrain. We do have a remedial action in place which requires the affected area to be painted and a specially designed protection foil placed over the new paint which will avoid further damage in the future. This foil is being fitted to new vehicles as part of the production process from August 2009.

We would ask any customer experiencing this concern to contact their local Ford dealer or national Ford Customer Relationship Centre (CRC) or to discuss their particular case. The dealer can then arrange for remedial work to take place.

Interesting to note on page 2 of the above website that Ford are aware of the problem and - from August - all new cars off the production line had a "foil strip" fitted. The following is a European memo from Ford:

A small number of new Ford Fiesta 5-door customers have contacted Ford of Europe as they are concerned about paint chipping that has occurred around the lower edge of the rear door aperture on their particular car.

We are aware that a small number of cars are affected, although this issue may have been caused by particular driving conditions or terrain. We do have a remedial action in place which requires the affected area to be painted and a specially designed protection foil placed over the new paint which will avoid further damage in the future. This foil is being fitted to new vehicles as part of the production process from August 2009.

We would ask any customer experiencing this concern to contact their local Ford dealer or national Ford Customer Relationship Centre (CRC) or to discuss their particular case. The dealer can then arrange for remedial work to take place.

Seems that they are doing on the 3dr's too as this is exactly what I have got on mine

Seems that they are doing on the 3dr's too as this is exactly what I have got on mine

Silver lining to the delayed delivery then eh?

I'm going to Ford on Saturday to get some glue residue off the car (I think from numbers stuck on the doors when it was in the showroom). Will mention the chipping problem to them too!

We are aware that a small number of cars are affected, .

No chips visible on my car but looks like Ford should call all Fiesta's back to a dealer for these strips to be fitted, could save themselves a lot of repaint costs, as if it is a design fault then all Fiesta's are effected not just a small number as stated in their bulletin......

If you want you can email them to me and I can upload them for you. Or you can use a service like http://photobucket.com/ and then link to them in your posts.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab108/T...0909_095101.jpg

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab108/T...170909_0951.jpg

Thanks for your help, managed it!

You can just about make out the strip between the wax residue.

I gotta say...that looks awful that strip. Maybe it's just me - but that looks like a real quick bodge-job afterthought! <_<

Worthing Paul: please tell me the 3-door doesn't look like that!?!?

Worthing Paul: please tell me the 3-door doesn't look like that!?!?

From memory, yes it looks just like that although when you have got rid of the wax from around the edges of it it does not stand out that much

TBH I would rather have that than loads of chips which could start to rust!

From memory, yes it looks just like that although when you have got rid of the wax from around the edges of it it does not stand out that much

TBH I would rather have that than loads of chips which could start to rust!

Hmm...

Okay. I will reserve judgement until the car gets delivered & I can take a good close-up look . I can see me peeling that strip off if it isn't totally invisible. I can live with a handful of tiny stone chips if I have to. That strip "appears" to stand out...although I understand the wax on & around it probably doesn't help. The strip kinda...well - ruins the smooth flowing lines?!?!

Hmm...

Okay. I will reserve judgement until the car gets delivered & I can take a good close-up look . I can see me peeling that strip off if it isn't totally invisible. I can live with a handful of tiny stone chips if I have to. That strip "appears" to stand out...although I understand the wax on & around it probably doesn't help. The strip kinda...well - ruins the smooth flowing lines?!?!

Not half as much as rust will. I've seen these strips on another car where I work and they really aren't noticable unless you're looking for them. I wouldn't worry about it :) Also you can replace these strips quickly and cheaply if/when they get damaged, whereas a respray is never cheap. Also once part of the car starts to rust, it will always come back with quick respray fixes.

Does anyone know whether mudflaps are helpful with respect to the stone chip problem?

Does anyone know whether mudflaps are helpful with respect to the stone chip problem?

Have had mudflaps fitted to my Fiesta since new, Just checked my car again for stone chips or marking in the area shown, nothing there at all, have had my Fiesta since March .

Looking at where the stone chips are Im guessing that the stones fly of the front tyre and not the back so the mud flaps could be having an effect, could it also be something to do with which size wheel you have and brand of tyre fitted.

Looking at where the chips are occurring I'm pretty sure this is down to the front tire shooting stones at the rear doors :angry:

08 ka's (old shape) alredy use these strips. ka's chip around the door areas as well.looked pretty crap on my wifes car but does offer protection from rust. some mazda's also use these. this is an accepted practice in the industry. hope you guys get the soloutions that you want.

Have had mudflaps fitted to my Fiesta since new, Just checked my car again for stone chips or marking in the area shown, nothing there at all, have had my Fiesta since March .

Looking at where the stone chips are Im guessing that the stones fly of the front tyre and not the back so the mud flaps could be having an effect, could it also be something to do with which size wheel you have and brand of tyre fitted.

I had mudflaps fitted since new on my 5 door ,had a look nothing there at all

I contacted my local Ford dealers and they said that as my car was made in July the strips couldn't be fitted after leaving the factory. The only suggestion they came up with is to fit mudguards. Does anyone know how much they are? Can they be fitted by me? (I am quite handy).

Brian