Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Instrument Cluster Swap

iantt

Is it still the case of only being able to adjust the mileage upwards with focccus/IDS?

I'm thinking of carrying this out of my two cars and one of the clusters I have seen for sale, the seller is apparently unaware of the mileage.

I got clocks for sale of st mk3 🙂 so need only swap them

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 7:24 PM, JW1982 said:

The mileage of the instrument cluster has nothing to do with the configuration of the instrument cluster. The mileage is stored in a completely different part of the memory and is not affected by changing the configuration.

The original FoCCCus program can only change the mileage when the mileage is lower than 1000 Miles. To solve this I partly reverse engineered the FoCCCUs program and made myself a modified version that can be downloaded from the following website:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43j09bhrl4ngwb5/FoCCCus 0.8.6 Modified Edition.rar?dl=0

My modified version no longer has the 1000 Miles limitation so the mileage can be changed (upwards only) regardless of the mileage of the instrument cluster.

all work fine on mk3.5 ? 🙂

• 8 months later...

Massive thanks to the OP, did this today, took me 20 minutes start to finish! Thanks Iantt!

Also, thanks to JW for the modified foCCCus, made the coding simple!  Cruise control goes in tomorrow....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2019 at 9:12 PM, JW1982 said:

An MK3.5 instrument cluster does work in an MK3 but not without problems. The biggest problem is that the sound of the parking sensors and active park assist will no longer work and the dimming of the interior light will not work correctly. This can only be solved by reprogramming the MK3.5 instrument cluster with the MK3 software.

Another issue is that the MK3.5 instrument cluster has a different hardware ID number as the MK3 instrument cluster. Because of this the MK3.5 instrument is not recognised as a suitible part for the Focus MK3. As a result of this during diagnostics the instrument cluster is not recognised by the Ford diagnostic software. Because of this it is also not possible to update the software of the instrument cluster the normal way.

I have a USA MK3 instrument cluster in my (German spec) Focus MK3. The USA MK3 instrument cluster is very similar to the European MK3.5 instrument cluster. I reprogrammed the USA instrument cluster manually using the latest version of the MK3 software. The instrument cluster is fully functional and after I synchronised my vehicle hardware/software with the Ford Etis system the Hardware number of the USA instrument cluster is even shown on Etis. However because of the different hardware ID number the instrument cluster is not recognised as a suitible part during diagnostics using the Ford IDS diagnostic system.

Sorry to jump onto an old thread but seems better than just starting a new one.

I want the digital speedo on my 2014 mk3 and have bought a mk3.5 cluster to achieve this. I understand the issues you raise and i thank you for flagging those.

I suppose i have a few questions:

1 - Do any of the mk3 clusters have the digital speedo functionality?

2 - Does the mk3 have a visual PDC aid? I'm not bothered about losing the audible sound as it annoys me anyway or will i completely lose the PDC functionality?

14 minutes ago, W1YNO said:

1- Do any of the mk3 clusters have the digital speedo functionality?

No, non of the MK3 instrument cluster (software) versions do have digital speedo functionality.

14 minutes ago, W1YNO said:

2 - Does the mk3 have a visual PDC aid? I'm not bothered about losing the audible sound as it annoys me anyway or will i completely lose the PDC functionality?

I did some testing and the visual PDC aid on the FCDIM (radio display) was still working. The visual Active Park Assist aid however stopped working completely. The Active Park Assist Functionality itself remained fully functional but without any visual or audio warnings.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:49 AM, JW1982 said:

No, non of the MK3 instrument cluster (software) versions do have digital speedo functionality.

I did some testing and the visual PDC aid on the FCDIM (radio display) was still working. The visual Active Park Assist aid however stopped working completely. The Active Park Assist Functionality itself remained fully functional but without any visual or audio warnings.

I just fitted a F1ET-10849-BMN in place of my original BM5T-10849-BDG and the audible beep from my parking sensors is still present without any change other than unplug the old and plug in the new. I don't have the visual assist on mine it seems but may be down to my basic small radio display.
Excellent £30 upgrade to colour screen with digital speedo.
Just need to up the mileage to match my old and all done.
Next upgrades are:
Install cruise control - tomorrow
Install Sync 3 with Apple CarPlay / Android Auto

Visual parking aid should also be present on the monochrome FCDIM (audio display) versions. My Focus MK3 started its life with the High Level audio system with 3.5 Inch monochrome FCDIM. The visual information of both the PDC system and the Active Park Assist system was showed on the 3.5 Inch monochrome FCDIM. 

The fact that you do not have any visual parking aid on the FCDIM suggests that the car did originally not have parking sensors and someone installed aftermarket parking sensors. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 6:44 PM, JW1982 said:

Visual parking aid should also be present on the monochrome FCDIM (audio display) versions. My Focus MK3 started its life with the High Level audio system with 3.5 Inch monochrome FCDIM. The visual information of both the PDC system and the Active Park Assist system was showed on the 3.5 Inch monochrome FCDIM. 

The fact that you do not have any visual parking aid on the FCDIM suggests that the car did originally not have parking sensors and someone installed aftermarket parking sensors. 

Ah that might be the reason.

The new IPC isn't recognised by FoCCCus but is by FORScan. Is that normal? Realised today when I used your modified FoCCCUS to put the mileage right after the change. Fitted cruise control today using your guide (which was excellent) and that's where I found I couldn't read the IPC.

18 hours ago, W1YNO said:

Ah that might be the reason.

The new IPC isn't recognised by FoCCCus but is by FORScan. Is that normal? Realised today when I used your modified FoCCCUS to put the mileage right after the change. Fitted cruise control today using your guide (which was excellent) and that's where I found I couldn't read the IPC.

Yes, that is completely normal.

The FoCCCus software was never further developed to work with the Focus MK3.5. The FoCCCus software does simply not recognize most MK3.5 module numbers.

Has anybody tried downloading the firmware for the cluster lately? I was going to update mine as I've got a new adapter on the way but any file I download from the tech service website does not appear to download correctly?

You should try a different internet browser.

Recently some internet browsers seem to have problems downloading the VBF files from the Ford servers.

Thanks, will try again. I have tried chrome, edge and Firefox but will try another.

Yesterday afternoon I was still able to download VBF files. This morning it did no longer work.

Which VBF files do you need? I have quite some VBF files for the IPC stored on my PC.

Hi Wilco,

I am looking for the latest ones for a MK 3, level 3 cluster.

I believe they are the following:

BM5T-14C026-BBG
BM5T-14C026-ACE
BM5T-14C026-AFH
CM5T-14C318-AE 

I will take a look at my collection this evening.

There is a 99% chance that I have these files.

• Like 1

I just checked the Ford DFSM file download website and the problem seems to be solved.

As a test I downloaded several different VBF files from the Ford servers without any problem.

If you still experience problems when downloading the VBF files I will upload the files.

• Thanks 1

Just tried myself too and seems fine now.

Thanks again Wilco 

If someone is interested I also have some custom made versions of the original MK3 Level 3 instrument cluster software that I made myself. These custom versions are based on the latest original MK3 Level 3 instrument cluster software and contain custom pictures.

For example:

ST275 logo boot screen instead of ST logo boot screen.
RS logo boot screen instead of ST logo boot screen.
Ford logo boot screen instead of ST logo boot screen.

I am currently working on a full custom design version that matches the custom design of my Android audio system.

• 4 weeks later...

Is milage correction downward possible? Found a cluster for a great price but seller not replied with milage so assuming it will be lot higher than mine. 

It is possible to change the mileage downwards but this requires a suitable diagnostic system that has the ability to do this. There are very few diagnostic systems that has this ability.

The only system I know that does not cost an arm and a leg is the Russian UCDS diagnostic system. Changing the mileage is a paid feature (requires tokens) of the UCDS diagnostic system.

£30 for unknown mileage or £80 for known mileage 🙄

What's this custom cluster you have? Drop me a pm 👍