Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing Shocks - '96 MK1 Mondeo

Daveyraveygravy

Hi all - I've had a late MK1 mondy for 2 years and up until now its given excellent service - but the drivers side shocker has started leaking, so i've bought a new front pair (i'm reasonably handy with the spanners) I took the old one off, rebuilt the strut with the thrust bearing, upper spring mount etc - all good. So I put the strut onto the car - bolted it into the hub no probs, BUT the threaded top part of the shock (with the allen key fitting inside) and the 'retainer' nut sits too high - so when I open up the bonnet to put the little round rubber & metal plate on top of it - the 'little round rubber/metal bit'

is about 3-4mm about the suspension turret - surely it should just rest on it nicely. I tightened up the first reatiner nut to the specified torque setting - i'm a bit perplexed as to what I can do - any ideas anyone?

Hi all - I've had a late MK1 mondy for 2 years and up until now its given excellent service - but the drivers side shocker has started leaking, so i've bought a new front pair (i'm reasonably handy with the spanners) I took the old one off, rebuilt the strut with the thrust bearing, upper spring mount etc - all good. So I put the strut onto the car - bolted it into the hub no probs, BUT the threaded top part of the shock (with the allen key fitting inside) and the 'retainer' nut sits too high - so when I open up the bonnet to put the little round rubber & metal plate on top of it - the 'little round rubber/metal bit'

is about 3-4mm about the suspension turret - surely it should just rest on it nicely. I tightened up the first reatiner nut to the specified torque setting - i'm a bit perplexed as to what I can do - any ideas anyone?

sounds like the spring not seated right

post-974-1253387436_thumb.png

post-974-1253387458_thumb.png

post-9101-1253557928_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help - I checked the spring when I put it inro the strut - its seated in both the upper and lower mounts correctly. This photo might be able to show what I mean a little more clearly. Its almost as if the top of the shock needs to be pushed down slightly, but then it will only pop back up, surely? The whole design seems a bit lax to be honest...Any more ideas anyone?

Could that be the wrong nut youve put on first?

Maybe the 1st one is "smaller" then you put the plate on with the bigger nut?

i agree the smaller nut needs to go on first

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club