Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecu Remap W/ Black Box

iTzNickB

Hi,

I was looking to get an ECU Remap on my 1.6 Zetec S TDCi. I currently have a semi "black box" where my driving speed/time/acceleration doesn't effect anything about my insurance, it just means you basically take part in a survey anonymously, for which I got my insurance reduced from £2400 to £2250 for. (Im only 17!) Will this Remap be detected by the semi black box? The black box itself is only a small chip that plugs into the Onboard diagnostics port below the steering wheel, not a proper one. Im sure you can guess the reasons why I am trying to find out if the insurance companies black box detects it :D

Thanks in advance!

Is the reason that you want to mod the car and not tell them, so avoiding a premium increase or termination of cover?

Doubt it would detect a remap, does the unit need to be plugged in all the time? Will removing it be recorded?

• Like 1

Not notifying your insurance company of a remap is highly likely to render you uninsured in the event of a claim

• Like 2

Nick

Not a smart idea to try to hide this information from your insurance company. You are only 17 and at the start of your motoring career. Better to build up your no claims bonus over the next 3 or 4 years and then look at performance upgrades, but if you are anything like I was at your age (fifty years ago!) I was always getting bored and changing cars every few months . Mainly old bangers bought from the local car auctions and rarely costing more than £100, and often making a profit when reselling them.

• Like 2

It won't increase your premium as much as you think lol, mine didn't on my old car, a speeding ticket and a crash does though cough cough LOL :angry:

• Like 2

Uninsured losses will ruin your life & also someone else's should the worst happen - which it does everyday . . . .

• Like 2

Yes I'll agree with that Mark, we got hit by a uninsured driver when I Was 16, had severe neck, back and lower back pain ever since. So does mum and dad. Not ruining a life but it makes my job very painful and difficult

• Like 2

From what I've read, isn't it such a small performance gain getting a remap without modifications first anyway? I don't know about diesel but if I got a remap on my 1.6 ZS it'd be 12 bhp or something, which'd be unnoticeable.

I'm 22, best thing you can do as a young driver is build up no-claims. My first car was a 1.25 MK6 Fiesta, cost me £2200 and insurance was £1600. Now, with two years no claims on a 1.6 ZS my insurance is £400.

Just be patient.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 2