Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help!! Has My Head Gasket Gone?

rambo89

Hello

So i was driving my car tody and all of a sudden white smoke just started bellowing out of the exhaust and from under the bonnet, when i checked there was NO coolant in my tank.

Eventually the smoke stopped from the exhaust and only small bits were coming out from under the bonnet, ive noticed that the 2 pipes that run from the gasket to the engine, one of them was slightly cracked and when i reved the car water was splurting from it.

So i tried to get it home as quick as possible and topped the coolant tank up with water. On my way home the car kept chugging and when i put my foot on the clutch the car kept cutting out.....

Please tell me its just the case of replacing the pipe and the collant bottle and that its not the head gasket thats buggered.

Ive a 2003 Fiesta LX and its a 1.3

Any help would be great. Thanks

Quite probably the h/g has blown, white smoke ( steam ) exiting the exhaust on a petrol engine is indicative of water in the combustion chamber

• Like 1

If it is blowing white steam then water is being burned which means it is either getting in from the inlet gasket or head gasket. Most likely head gasket due to the fact it happened so suddenly.

Trust me, I've owned a K-Series... I know what HGF is! :lol:

• Like 1

thanks guys, so how much are we talking here to get this fixed? i presume its a big job?

ive seen some where you can get some thing you can but it the engine and it will seal the blow gasket but I don't know how good it is google it and is what it says

ive seen some where you can get some thing you can but it the engine and it will seal the blow gasket but I don't know how good it is google it and is what it says

Utter waste of time the pressure involved in the cylinders will blow a sealant out entirely straight away. Plus the fact it's been run after running out of water quite possibly has warped the head so could maybe need a head gasket and head skimming but you may be lucky and just need gasket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

easy way to check, open the oil filler cap, if its sludgy white on the cap its likely a gasket.

• Like 1

easy way to check, open the oil filler cap, if its sludgy white on the cap its likely a gasket.

+1 on that but if you do short stop start journey all the time and hardly give it a long run then this will happen on the oil filler cap anyway due to condensation. But is a very good indicator otherwise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if it is gone (in reply to a question above) its going to be the headskim possibly, new gasket, labour, your probably looking at the fatter end of a grand...

• Like 1

Could it just be that a hose (the one thats spurting water) burst under pressure, and let all the water out in the form of steam. (I had a Nissan 200 do that to me once) Then steam would come out from under the bonnet (it shouldnt with HGF) and there would be a lot of steam in the mirror coming out from under the car. How are we sure it was coming from the exhaust? Did you stop to look?

The problem is that the car was then driven with no water in it, which may have done further damage.

Or perhaps I know nothing, in which case I shall retire back to my cave.....

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club