Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

"no Ball Games" Signs Coming Down...

jmurray01

Just seen on the STV News that here in Scotland some (if not all) "No Ball Games" signs are coming down to encourage children to get into football.

I just hope that the councils are prepared to compensate people for smashed car windows and bodywork damage due to footballs hitting them. God forbid a football should find its way onto a road and cause a car to swerve thus running somebody over...

Maybe it is just because I hate football, but I think it is an awful idea.

Instead of taking the signs down, why not just put money into making public football pitches away from pedestrians and vehicles?

• Like 1

Did the Scottish Councils actually enforce the ban though?

There's load of ban notices down here: but the Council never enforce them.

Probably not, given that the local councils do bugger all about anything. It's just another thing in the news that... What word can I use... TICKS me off!!

• Like 1

Speaking as a non-football fan as well, I'm in two minds about this.

I would hate to find my car dented/scratched etc due to balls and players coming into contact with it. However ANYTHING that encourages kids to get off their backsides and out into the fresh air should be encouraged.

• Like 4

in my time on the streets fitba was played by all the kids great times sadly missed

• Like 1

in my time on the streets fitba was played by all the kids great times sadly missed

No, you just don't see that now.

Nor, for that matter, do kids seem to play in their gardens

doesnt matter if ball game signs were there or not people didnt care anyway and played football this whole taking down the signs will not really do anything at all well in my area anyway infact as a kid the one who hit the no balls sign got a point haha

• Like 2

Whatever happened to parks & recreation grounds ?

We spent nearly every waking hour playing football etc when I was a kid & had to be dragged home when it got dark ! :)

• Like 2

Whatever happened to parks & recreation grounds ?

We spent nearly every waking hour playing football etc when I was a kid & had to be dragged home when it got dark ! :)

The parks near me got vandalised and used by druggies! i think we had one closest for about 3 years and rarely was it not fenced off before they removed all the equipment.

• Like 1

When I was growing up in the good old 90's we used to play in the street, playing curby etc, was brilliant and when I was at secondary school we played on the school grounds, despite a 6-7ft green fence and wall stopping us, easy enough to climb when your desperate lol and numerous signs about trespassing etc. Don't see any of it now, no kids playing in the streets etc, to many weirdo's about and also to much technology. It's a big shame really, however I could agree with Scotland wanting to encourage football lmao

• Like 3

What a game Curby was! remember playing that with the other kids when my folks finally let me out onto the road!

lived in a cul de sac just of another cul de sac and wasnt alound out of mine untill i was about 12 :P

• Like 2

I lived on a council estate but I had to be in before dark and and had to be at half 5 for tea. Wasn't allowed by the main road either yet I was allowed to bike to school and bike to football practice.

• Like 1

A don't know if you guys got it but what a called substitute parents (all neighbours knows you and you family and were all friends)..... I remember I swore when playing kerby and ma neighbour heard me n phoned ma mum n ma mum said she could give me a Skud instead of ma mum because I swore and ma mum wasn't there to give me my punishment haha

• Like 2

What's kerby/curby?

Can't say I've heard of it, unless that's the Scottish name for something, I know by another handle.

Kerby here in Yorkshire is where two kids stand on pavement across road from each other they throw a ball and try to get it to bounce back off the kerb if they do they get another go from a bit nearer if not the other kid has a go. My kids played it for hours when they were little.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 3

Spot on Phil, Same down south too :lol:

Many after school nights spent playing this

• Like 1

Oh my days, can't believe 2 people on here haven't heard of Curby. Where have you been hiding lol. Hours were spent alternating between curby, wallie(can't remember the proper name, just kicked it against the wall and where ever it landed the other person had to kick it off the wall back at you, so on and so forth) and then booting it one end of the street to the other.

• Like 2

Defo worth taking your Child/ Parner / Buddy to the edge of the pavement for a game! Gauranteed fun!

• Like 1

Kerby here in Yorkshire is where two kids stand on pavement across road from each other they throw a ball and try to get it to bounce back off the kerb if they do they get another go from a bit nearer if not the other kid has a go. My kids played it for hours when they were little.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

No, we didn't play that.

What we did however, was to throw a ball over the house, back and forth, usually a tennis ball, sometimes a cricket ball - and the more mischievous kid would include a random egg amongst ball throws.

• Like 3

No, we didn't play that.

What we did however, was to throw a ball over the house, back and forth, usually a tennis ball, sometimes a cricket ball - and the more mischievous kid would include a random egg amongst ball throws.

That was fun to! until my Dad had a go because the drain was blocked with tennis balls :P

Another one we played was trying to hit the light part of a lamppost fith a football from a kick. Got told off by neighbours many times for that :oops:

• Like 2

Kicking the football over the house was a good pastime as well and then spot kick practice over the wall and not target practice the window. Got many a telling off for that, also used to try bending the ball over the car and one day I dented dad's Orion Ghia and by christ did I get a thrashing.

• Like 2

That reminds of a domino effect, that occurred, when my brother deflected my shot.

The spinning ball hit one of our goalposts (which were deck chairs stood almost upright). Which fell over, knocking my Dads long-handled 6ft tree pruner; which itself was standing against the shed. This in turn, fell against the metal step-ladder, which was right next to the lean-to glazing around the back of house. Naturally, the step-ladders took out two of the big panes of glass and four of the small ones. :o :o

• Like 1

That reminds of a domino effect, that occurred, when my brother deflected my shot.

The spinning ball hit one of our goalposts (which were deck chairs stood almost upright). Which fell over, knocking my Dads long-handled 6ft tree pruner; which itself was standing against the shed. This in turn, fell against the metal step-ladder, which was right next to the lean-to glazing around the back of house. Naturally, the step-ladders took out two of the big panes of glass and four of the small ones. :o :o

Ouchy, that was an expensive game of football lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club