Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chainsaw Like Sound When Turning Sharply (At Slow Speed) Shortly After Starting The Car

djsubtronic

Shortly after starting and then turning a corner, sometimes (not always) there is a weird clunking and buzzsaw like noise that happens while turning the wheel. It lasts about a second or so. I've noticed it only seems to happen when the turn is swift and sharp, and once it happens, it doesn't happen again until the car is stopped and started at a later time. It seems to have happened since I've owned the car (10 months now) and I have dismissed it as normal as it doesn't seem to be causing any problems and nothing was flagged up during servicing, but my curiousity has got the best of me so I thought I'd post here and try to find out if anyone knows what it is.

Thanks.

Check your power steering fluid level as this will howl if level is low. I'm not sure about your model but if you can't find the reservoir, take the rh headlamp unit out and it will be under there.

Could it be the ESP/traction control coming on as you said it's when you turn SHARPLY meaning one of your wheels could have started slipping triggering ESP./traction control. Try driving NORMALLY and see what happens.

Check your power steering fluid level as this will howl if level is low. I'm not sure about your model but if you can't find the reservoir, take the rh headlamp unit out and it will be under there.

It's definitely not that, as it's been topped up recently. It's not so much a howling sound as it is a high pitched scraping, almost like opening a zipper quickly.

Could it be the ESP/traction control coming on as you said it's when you turn SHARPLY meaning one of your wheels could have started slipping triggering ESP./traction control. Try driving NORMALLY and see what happens.

You misunderstood what I meant by sharply - it happens at very slow speeds for example when turning a tight corner where I have to STEER sharply/quickly. It's completely normal driving. Wouldn't the ESP activation also show the light on the dash?

On my 2009 1.8 Tdci I noticed a 'clunk' when pulling away for the first time, I thought it was the clutch or gearbox when going 1st to 2nd, however someone pointed out that it was the ABS/ESP system doing something (not sure what!) once the car gets to 12mph (in whatever gear) - try it yourself. Only does it once until you turn off the engine and start again.

I also occasionally get a strange kind of grating sound when turning sharply, but have put it down to some similar kind of ABS/ESP behaviour, maybe due to the differenting turning speeds of the wheels so it, bit like Russ said although I know you're not doing anything 'abnormal' as he implied.

On my 2009 1.8 Tdci I noticed a 'clunk' when pulling away for the first time, I thought it was the clutch or gearbox when going 1st to 2nd, however someone pointed out that it was the ABS/ESP system doing something (not sure what!) once the car gets to 12mph (in whatever gear) - try it yourself. Only does it once until you turn off the engine and start again.

I also occasionally get a strange kind of grating sound when turning sharply, but have put it down to some similar kind of ABS/ESP behaviour, maybe due to the differenting turning speeds of the wheels so it, bit like Russ said although I know you're not doing anything 'abnormal' as he implied.

Hey, thanks for your reply. That does sound exactly like the symptoms I am having. Perhaps I'm just a bit crap at explaining myself lol. Clunk/grating is probably more accurate than chainsaw! So I assume it's just normal behaviour.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club