Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red Immobiliser Light And Non Start

steve1

Hi iv`e searched the forums and can`t seem to find a definitive answer, my 2004 tdci focus has developed a fault which is getting worse, key in ignition, switch on, turn to start position and nothing, red light above clock stays lit, on and off many times and all of a sudden starts! My question is is there anything I can do to cure this ( when I know whats causing it) or would a auto electrician be the only answer? I`m trying to fix it before it gives up all together, any help/advice would be much appreciated, steve

Did you try with another key? Defective immobilizer chip may cause this problem.

I only have one key so what would I need to do to remedy this?

Have you got another car key on the keyring?

My partner used her copy of my key in my car the other day and it threw up all sorts of problems when I tried to use it, my key wasn't working at all, key out, left it for a min then key in and it was fine, I think that her own car key was too close to the ignition ring so confused things.

No only the focus key, its now getting worse taking 5/10 mins before starting

Always a good idea to have a spare.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Ford will make one up for you if you have the code.A cheaper option is a locksmith.I think blank keys can be bought on eBay.If you don't know the key code I can possibly post a picture on how to.

post-10449-14484722061_thumb.jpg

It may take a little practice to read the code.Don't worry to much about all the angles and other information.There are four digits 1 to 4 and 6 cuts ,there is no zero.Digit 1 is the lowest and digit 4 is the highest if this makes sense.If you get stuck I will post a photo of my key with the code for you to look at.Hopefully this helps.

No because central locking works ok but just the starting issue

If you can post a clear photo ,I'll look for you .

I have exactly the same issue with one key.

I bought a new aftermarket plastic fob/key from eBay as the rubber buttons were worn on one of the original key fobs. Changed the transponder very carefully over to the new fob, new battery (and used the old genuine part which hold the flip key on to the new one). Thought I would be ready to go for £4.65 but only the central locking is still working. The immobilizer doesn't recognize the transponder anymore.

Ford dealership quoted me very recently £208 for a new key. advised me to book the car in for a day for them to have time for cutting/programming the new key.

Alternatively I can book the car in for reprogramming the refurbished key. Means I would pay £70.

These are Ford dealer quotes, didn't tried a locksmith yet...

Would a new cut key solve the immobiliser problem?

Unfortunately not :(

No idea,but like I said in my original post it s good to have a spare.

That's what happened to me changed the internals into a flip key a few months ago and now this

Sit inside and close all the doors. Turn the key in the ignition till the lights on the dash come on and press one of buttons on the key fob until the car locks and unlocks. That will identify the key has been recoded to the car. Turn the ignition so all the lights go off and retry to start car.

Aww sorry that is to code the key for locking at unlocking. I have found the steps to get the key working again but you need two keys :(

Problem solved! Reverted back to the original key and now working fine, seems the transponder in the New flip key was a bit too far away from the receiver in the steering column hence the non starting. So beware if you want to change to a cheap flip key off eBay !!

Problem solved! Reverted back to the original key and now working fine, seems the transponder in the New flip key was a bit too far away from the receiver in the steering column hence the non starting. So beware if you want to change to a cheap flip key off eBay !!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club