Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK7 Boot Rattle

FezzaT

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Not a massive problem to be honest as most of the time I drive round listening to music, but have noticed that on warm sunny days the car developes a rattle/slight buzz from the boot area.

I know it's not the rear seats and not the parcel shelf either and I think it may be coming from within the locking mechnaism area (the plastic housing on the inside of the tailgate which houses the lock,wiper motor etc) but if it's only occuring when it gets warm it must be something in direct sunlight but I just can't figure it out!

Anyone else had this, or better, anyone had and resolved it?!

Much appreciated guys! By the way I'm still loving the car and wouldn't swap it for anything!

My Mk7 Zetec S bootlid rattles when I go over speed bumps sometimes :lol:

Yours looks like it's a completely different rattle to mine though so can't help sorry :(

Was getting a buzz from were the lower and upper interior trim quater panel's meet on passenger side. Abit of double sided foam tape behind were they overlap sorted it :) . Also didn't buzz when the interior was cold just when the interior was warm. Volume on radio also cure's buzz's and rattle's :D

Was getting a buzz from were the lower and upper interior trim quater panel's meet on passenger side. Abit of double sided foam tape behind were they overlap sorted it :) . Also didn't buzz when the interior was cold just when the interior was warm. Volume on radio also cure's buzz's and rattle's :D

was this at the back?

Yes, just below were the passenger side rear seat belt bolt's on to the c pillar

Hmmm. after getting a reluctant other half to sit in the back while we drive round :P can confirm it is definitely coming from the plastic housing on the tailgate, anyone know how to get this off?

Hmmm. after getting a reluctant other half to sit in the back while we drive round :P can confirm it is definitely coming from the plastic housing on the tailgate, anyone know how to get this off?

Had to take mine back 3 times to the dealer.

First time technician said he had fixed it by tightening the tailgate??!?!?!?! Even though I told them it was the trim!

Second time the first technician said he couldn't hear anything

Third time I got the technician to sit in the car whilst I drove it - 5 seconds into the journey "I dont know how he missed that, I can hear it" FFS!!!

They fixed the trim by removing it apparently and refitting.

Had to take mine back 3 times to the dealer.

First time technician said he had fixed it by tightening the tailgate??!?!?!?! Even though I told them it was the trim!

Second time the first technician said he couldn't hear anything

Third time I got the technician to sit in the car whilst I drove it - 5 seconds into the journey "I dont know how he missed that, I can hear it" FFS!!!

They fixed the trim by removing it apparently and refitting.

Was your rattle all the time? or just when it gets warm?

Fixed it!

Took the trim off and I could see straight away that the wiring/plug for the rear screen heating element were out of place. put them back, taped em down and no more rattling! woo hoo!!

Fixed it!

Took the trim off and I could see straight away that the wiring/plug for the rear screen heating element were out of place. put them back, taped em down and no more rattling! woo hoo!!

great stuff well done,strange though ,when you take it back,if its not in their ford little blue book of how to fix things,nobody has the common sense to just check these things out,all you seem to get is "didnt do it while it was here .sorry"

great stuff well done,strange though ,when you take it back,if its not in their ford little blue book of how to fix things,nobody has the common sense to just check these things out,all you seem to get is "didnt do it while it was here .sorry"

Yeh, thanks!

that's dealers for you - I knew it'd take ages to get sorted if I took it in and it was really starting to wind me up today so I had to have a crack! Anyways if anyone else has trouble and needs to know how to get the rear trim off it's essentially just a case of pulling it off (it's clipped in several places) but you need to be careful as if you break anything it can invalidate your warranty. Start at one side and work round and it's pretty easy just slowly prizing it away from the tailgate.

Sorry for late reply, glad you got yours sorted.

Mine was pretty much all the time, cold and warm - really did my head in!

• 1 year later...

Fixed it!

I'm still struggling with the tailgate rattle on my Mk7. I've adjusted the lock catch in both directions (tighter/looser), wedged trial bits of foam and rubber behind various trim and on the rubber stops, driven with the seats down to eliminate those and it's still there. Looking at your solution, how did you get the tailgate trim off ? Presumably that wiring and plug is above the rear screen. Last resort is to book it in with Ford.

• 2 months later...

bump!

has anyone got a step by step guide to how to get the trim off? i now have this exact noise coming from this exact area!

Thanksee!

Must have been another thread but I thought I had posted my own solution to this. My tailgate rattle turned out to be the catch itself. As a temporary measure and to test it I wrapped black insulation tape around the metal 'loop' on the boot part of the catch. Cured it immediately ! It must be the latch rattling against the loop when the boot is closed. Tape has been there some time now and still working fine and is almost unnoticeable. Shouldn't have to do this on a new car but it works!

Must have been another thread but I thought I had posted my own solution to this. My tailgate rattle turned out to be the catch itself. As a temporary measure and to test it I wrapped black insulation tape around the metal 'loop' on the boot part of the catch. Cured it immediately ! It must be the latch rattling against the loop when the boot is closed. Tape has been there some time now and still working fine and is almost unnoticeable. Shouldn't have to do this on a new car but it works!

i saw your thread and tried that - about an extra mil thickness of tape but it still rattles

Hi all. Stopped mine rattling when i found slight play in the number plate. Tried tightening screws but they were tight. So took off and installed rubber washers between plate and boot and all is quite. I also installed rubber gromits either side of parcel shelf to stop lateral movement. Silence is golden.

With all these different causes of rattles in the same area makes you wonder about the build quality and detail design, especially the latter. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my mk7 and it's still the best small hatch I have driven but having to add tape,rubber washers and grommets to stop rattles makes you think. Surely anti-rattle should be designed into assemblies on a car ?

Magenta, how much tape around the metal loop do I need? i have ab out 1 mm all round and it still rattles, is this enough?

Ta for the help

Magenta, how much tape around the metal loop do I need? i have ab out 1 mm all round and it still rattles, is this enough?

Ta for the help

I only had to put one (or maybe two) layers on mine to stop the rattle. I assume that it is still vibrating - I just can't hear it ! Sounds like yours might be a different problem if 1mm of tape hasn't cured it. Mine used to 'click' when going over bumps at low speed e.g. when reversing off the drive but it's now stopped. I expect the tape to wear through in due course.

Things I investigated to locate the rattle:

Adjusting tailgate lock

Rear parcel shelf.

Trim on tailgate

Items in spare wheel well (I haven't got a spare wheel, unfortunately*.

Rear seats - (I was sure it was this at one point and spent considerable time putting bits of foam around them in strategic places).

Trim around rear windows.

Rear bumper (!)

Number plate

I began to wonder if it was the suspension making the noise.

Needless to say I was delighted when I found the answer. I previously had a Mk7 1.6TDCI like yours which had no rattles at all or was it just that I couldn't hear them above the diesel noise I wonder ? My latest focus of attention is a buzz from the dash around the heater controls area.

*Where is the best (cheapest) place to get a new spare steel wheel? I dread having to fiddle with the compressor and foam canister when I have a puncture and then it's only a temporary repair. Terrible idea.

OK thanks a few more points to look at. I think my next port of call will be the seats.

As for the buzz from the dash - I get one which I pinpointed as the plastic cowling around the speedo and revcounter. still not fixed it, but its nice to know what it is and how easy it would be to fix (blob of blue task stuffed out of site under the bottom of it, probably)

but you say yours is from the heater area so fingers crossed i havent had one there yet!

ill keep the thread informed if i find anything re the tailgate rattle though.

• 8 years later...
On 9/23/2009 at 5:08 PM, ChrisZetecS said:

My Mk7 Zetec S bootlid rattles when I go over speed bumps sometimes :lol:

Yours looks like it's a completely different rattle to mine though so can't help sorry 😞

Did you find a fix for this, Ive got a MK 7 red edition fiesta and ive got a rattle coming from the tailgate when i go over a bump?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club