Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sony Dab Navigator Upgrade

AndyGil

Hi Just bought a Mk3 Titanium with the standard Sony DAB, my wife wants the Navigator fitting... My question is:

Is it as simple as buying another unit from a breakers and retro fitting the Nav version of the Sony DAB?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Ooh what a great Forum.

Cheers

Andy

It is even easier.

On the Focus MK3 the Sat Nav system is fully integrated into the audio display (FCDIM). If you install the 5 Inch full color Sat Nav display the Sat Nav functions of the audio unit will be unlocked.

To retrofit the original Sony Sat Nav system you need the following parts:

* 5 Inch full color Sat Nav display.

* Dashboard panel for the 5 Inch display.

* SD card with maps.

* GPS antenna with Fakra connector. A cheap aftermarket GPS antenna can be used without any problem.

* Fakra antenna cable between the display and the audio unit. This cable is needed for TMC reception.

* Control panel for the Sony Sat Nav version. However the Sat Nav system will also work with your current control panel by selecting the Sat Nav functions from the menu.

* 2 wires between the display and the audio unit. These wires are needed for SAT Nav audio.​

Note that there were technically 2 different audio systems used on the Focus MK3. The earlier MK3 versions did have audio systems that were based on the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol systems. The later MK3 versions did have audio systems that were based on the newer SYNC 1.0 or SYNC 1.1 system. Audio system parts like wiring, displays and audio units of these systems are not compatible. Installing incompatible parts will result in loosing functionality.

If you buy another audio system it needs to be of the same system as your current audio system. Unfortunately there is no easy way to visually determine the type of system. This can only be done by the part numbers/production date of the parts.

Thats a c max audio you have linked to.

theres a few of us that have retrofitted sat nav, ive not bothered with the control panel, as wilko says it not essential.

First step is identifying what bluetooth/ voice you have.

OK I will pull it apart and check what version I have.

Thanks

Andy

You can tell by looking where the audio volume control is on steering wheel, is it on the right button on wheel, or right but lower down steering wheel , hard to explain.

Please see attached from the garage I bought it from, not sure what buttons these are?

Andy

post-70381-0-33304300-1449001882_thumb.j

Youve got the earlier bluetooth with voice control then.

So 2011to early 2013 display is needed. Think wilco will confirm thats engineering part number starting am5t-

• 1 year later...
On 01/12/2015 at 5:55 PM, JW1982 said:

It is even easier.

On the Focus MK3 the Sat Nav system is fully integrated into the audio display (FCDIM). If you install the 5 Inch full color Sat Nav display the Sat Nav functions of the audio unit will be unlocked.

To retrofit the original Sony Sat Nav system you need the following parts:

* 5 Inch full color Sat Nav display.

* Dashboard panel for the 5 Inch display.

* SD card with maps.

* GPS antenna with Fakra connector. A cheap aftermarket GPS antenna can be used without any problem.

* Fakra antenna cable between the display and the audio unit. This cable is needed for TMC reception.

* Control panel for the Sony Sat Nav version. However the Sat Nav system will also work with your current control panel by selecting the Sat Nav functions from the menu.

* 2 wires between the display and the audio unit. These wires are needed for SAT Nav audio.

Thanks for that info going to give it a try. 

• 2 years later...
On 12/1/2015 at 5:55 PM, JW1982 said:

2 wires between the display and the audio unit. These wires are needed for SAT Nav audio.

Can someone explain this further, I've done the upgrade, working fine but no audio as I'm not sure what two wires need adding? 

Appreciate some guidance or pics from someone who has done this!

Thanks!

2 wires from the new fcim and ACM (radio) harness.

FCIM 6 to ACM 4 (data link +)

FCIM 12 to ACM 5 (data link -)

James

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JPW said:

James

Thank you, just what I wanted, all working now!

On 2/4/2020 at 10:21 PM, JPW said:

James

Not FCIM but FCDIM.

FCIM and FCDIM are completely different.

FCIM = radio control panel
FCDIM = display

• 7 months later...
On 12/1/2015 at 7:17 PM, iantt said:

You can tell by looking where the audio volume control is on steering wheel, is it on the right button on wheel, or right but lower down steering wheel , hard to explain.

i have the buttons on the steering wheel so would would mine be 

Hi all,

Just fitted the complete Sony satnav system form a 2012 Focus Titanium X (display,audio, buttons facia, satnav card) and a Fakra gps off amazon into my 2012 Focus Titanium that had the Sony system without satnav.

I'm not getting any sound/verbal commands while using the nav.

I've read the above replies here but I'm struggling to know exactly what else I'm missing?

The two audio wires.... no idea what they look like, where they go or if I can buy them on the internet?

The Fakra antenna cable between the display and the audio unit. This cable is needed for TMC reception... can someone help with a link to buy an appropriate one please?

Do I need to do anything in Forscan?

Thankyou all

• 2 years later...
On 12/1/2015 at 8:32 PM, AndyGil said:

Please see attached from the garage I bought it from, not sure what buttons these are?

Andy

post-70381-0-33304300-1449001882_thumb.j

My steering wheel looks like this one with the volume controls in the gap between the spokes on the right rather than on the spoke. Does this mean my unit is bluetooth rather than SYNC 1.x?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club