Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Oil Change Question

kevws77

Hi,

I am a new bod when it comes to car work but I have done the odd job on the car (minor exhaust work and change the air filter myself) and would like some advice on doing an oil change. I have a mk2 focus automatic 1.6 petrol. Currently has just over 4 litres of semi synthetic oil in it which is black and I don't think has been changed for over a year.

1. Is it necessary to use a torque wrench to do up the sump plug bolt.? For the price of the oil change I could go and buy the jack & axle stands, the oil, the filter, a filter strap, oil tray etc, but I don't have a torque wrench so that would put the cost a bit high (I am not frightened to have a go doing the change myself).

2. Where is the best place to buy the filter and a new sump plug bolt( incase mine is a bit worn)? I know to avoid Halfords but Eurocarparts tells me it's the right filter ( by reg no.) and then when you select it to buy it says it is not a match.

Sorry, I have never done an oil change myself but am not scared of having a go. If any of this is glaringly obvious I apologise and am very grateful for any advice received.

It's not necessary to use a torque wrench on the sump plug buddy.I always buy my oil and filter at my local Ford parts department,I don't expect it's the cheapest but for me it s convenient.Tighten up the plug ,fit the new filter add the required oil and run the engine for 5 minutes and check for leaks at the sump plug and filter.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 2

1. You don't need a torque wrench to tighten the sump bolt, and ordinary spanner or regular socket and wrench will suffice. I've never torqued a sump plug in the 33 years I've been servicing my cars

2. It really comes down to whether you want OE filters or aftermarket parts , I've tended with my Focus to buy OE from various Ford dealers online like fordpartsuk. http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_parts_13/

There's nothing wrong per se, with the aftermarket motor factor parts

On the both the Mk1 & Mk2 I use fully synthetic 5w/30 oil, I also use Ford's own, Formula F, but providing an oil meets Ford WSS-M2C913-B spec, you'll be OK

There's not a lot of difference I've found between the aftermarket prices and Ford OE from the online dealers

• Like 1

Thanks very much. What I didn't want to do was do it up too tight! I might go with the local ford garage as I bought coolant hose clips from them and wanted proper parts. Maybe best to go that way as they'll no doubt be able to get me the right replacement sump plug bolt. Do the sump plugs on the focus have a washer or is the seal part of the plug bolt itself? Thanks

Probably integral to the plug.It may not be necessary to change the plug but it's always useful to have a spare.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

The washer/seal is integral to the sump plug - they are about £5 incidently as OE items

• Like 1

Brilliant. Thanks very much for your help guys. It is very kind of you.

• Like 2

I would recommend you use a new plug with integral seal or a new copper/aluminium washer on the existing plug. Not only for the main reason to make sure it seals but it will make it easier for you to determine how much torque is required to tighten the plug securely. As you mentioned your are not that experienced yet.. any existing seal on your plug has already been compressed, a new seal will compress when tighten up the plug, you can actually feel this happen. After this stage just give it another wee nip and your done. As a beginner... preferably use a spanner to tighten up the plug as you will more easily get the "feeling" with what happens compare to a more heavy tool like a ratchet and socket.

Just remember.. always remove any old seal if you decide to use the existing plug with just a new seal.

And also important.. always lubricate the rubber seal on the new oil filter before putting it on. (just use engine oil)

Hope this helps!

The sump plug has an integral rubber seal, can be used multiple times until either seal deterioates or threads on plug wear.

Isn't mixing semi synthetic and fully synth a bad idea? Thought I read somewhere you need to flush it all out before changing the oil type...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club