Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Advice Needed.

MATTT

Hi, bought a focus mk2 with BCT S800 tyres on, 19s. The noise is shocking at speed and grip on wet conditions conserns me. Any advice on a good all round replacement,that won't break the bank, would be greatly appreciated.

That's like asking a favorite actress on here lol you'll get so many answers black circles or openeo give a selection by size with reviews noise levels grip etc it would be best to look at that and see what you like

• Like 1

+1 to artscot79 comment

Yeah as above, also try camskill & tyreleader websites.

Conti sport contact 5 all the way. Epic tyres in wet or dry

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

I found my local f1 autocentre to be very well priced if you book and pay online.

I put goodyear efficient grip performance on all 4 corners in the end, due to crappy budgets then a flat tire a week later thanks to a nail.

Very good tyre and wins loads of awards and well priced on a competitive market.

Think it was an A for wet grip and B for fuel economy and 69db's of noise, very impressed with them

• Like 1

Smaller wheels would help tbh.

I've got Dunlop Sport BluResponse all round on mine, wet and dry grip are excellent. They're low on the noise scale but Mk2 Focus' have loads of road noise anyway unfortunately.

• Like 1

Line your car with silent coat,just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

Ive been adding insulation in stages for a while now and its making bugger all difference, think the door seals need replaced and something added to the firewall to prevent engine noise.

Shes just plain noisy, still, that's why we have radios!

Been driving about in a Astra 1.6 petrol for a while now and ill give it its due, its very very quite. shame about everything else ;)

I find most of the road noise comes from the rear.Next week I m lining the boot with the silent coat tiles.I've taken all the trim out the boot because lining behind that as well,hopefully that will eliminate squeaks and give a more solid feel.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how the DV6 manages to make so much noise (another gear would help admittedly) but yeah there is a lot from that as well. But the rear is where most of my noise comes from, if silent coat was cheaper I'd probably do the same but I'm too tight. :P

• Like 1

I lined the boot right through to the rear footwell with insulation and it helped a little but not much, the silent coat is better for reducing vibration in the panels, its not a good insulator of higher pitch road noise

• Like 1

Interesting ,did you use 2mm or thicker,Dee?At the moment I've got Avon ZV5's on mine ,I find them a good all round tyre,although a little noisy.

an alternative to silent coat... Just chuck some Expanding foam in the doors and panels :lol:

I recon that would improve accident rates, if someone hits your car, the panel wont move, you just have to polish it out :lol:

• Like 3

2mm, with 10mm of wool underlay, I have a feeling tho that most of the noise is coming through the door / firewall, I tried getting all scientific with noise levels but it didn't work so well, it think you will need proper mics rather than a phone. I also stuck underlay to the inside of the boot side panels, in fact ive gone a bit mad with the stuff as I brought far to much, small calculation error gave me about 3 times more than I needed, even stuck some on the inside of the bonnet, that and some BG DOC oil treatment dropped the noise by about 4db with the bonnet down which translated to about 2db inside the cabin

• Like 1

Smaller wheels would help tbh.

I've got Dunlop Sport BluResponse all round on mine, wet and dry grip are excellent. They're low on the noise scale but Mk2 Focus' have loads of road noise anyway unfortunately.

Mk2's noisy!?? :o :o

Compared to my previous Astra, my Mk2 Focus is like a reference library. I can hear my dog pant, in her crate at the back, in the Focus as we're driving along. :) :)

Whereas, in the Astra a major barking session was scarcely noticeable!

• Like 1

I could have a conversation my old Golf (1.9TDI 130) on the motorway... Can't hear myself think at more than 40 in the Focus!! Vauxhalls are poor for road noise as well though, engine noise was quieter in the Vec though (1.9CDTi 150).

Difference is the Golf was full of decent sound deadening, I broke it for parts eventually and they'd gone to huge lengths to keep it quiet!

• Like 3

I must have got a good one every goes on about how quiet it is simple laminate foam underlay does the job at a fraction of the price its a faff getting it under the carpet but its the same stuff ford put in the mk3 to insulate it

an alternative to silent coat... Just chuck some Expanding foam in the doors and panels :lol:

I recon that would improve accident rates, if someone hits your car, the panel wont move, you just have to polish it out :lol:

used it on mk11 gte when rear window broke could not get all the glass out the tailgate great stuff :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club