Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta 2012 Handbrake Problem?!

DecFiesta2012

Hi all, so when my handbrake is applied about 6 clicks occasionally it will slip down 3 clicks almost as if its failing, someone said my handbrake is breaking down, does anyone know what the problem is?

How do you apply / engage the handbrake ?

• Like 1

Do you press the button in the lever when applying the handbrake? If not, you've probably wrecked it. Karma for torturing the poor thing..

• Like 1

I press button in when engaging the handbrake. I bought car second hand so my guess is the previous owner is to blame for this. Car is still under warranty and I shall be going to ford about this as I am not risking car rolling when parked.

Just for now, try engaging the handbrake without pushing the button in & see if it still slips

• Like 1

Surely Ford will say it's a wear and tear item or due to improper use?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

There's 2 schools of thought about this Kieran, which I will explain more about, once the O.P. has replied to my previous post

• Like 1

Ratchet worn ?.I was always told to hold the handbrake release button"in"when applying the handbrake to stop wear on the mechanism.Now people just pull it up making that horrible noise.

• Like 2

Ratchet worn ?.I was always told to hold the handbrake release button"in"when applying the handbrake to stop wear on the mechanism.Now people just pull it up making that horrible noise.

It's a deathly noise.. breaks my heart to hear it.. till I look over and see its a Va***all

Mark, it slips either way regardless if the button is pressed. I've had the car since March this year. The handbrake may slip for example 1 in 20 times of using it.

• Like 1

Mark, it slips either way regardless if the button is pressed. I've had the car since March this year. The handbrake may slip for example 1 in 20 times of using it.

So this could mean there's a broken tooth on the ratchet that you occasionally stop on, and the handbrake slips onto the one below

• Like 2

No Mark it makes no difference.

So this could mean there's a broken tooth on the ratchet that you occasionally stop on, and the handbrake slips onto the one below

Thought that myself.

I doubt the warranty will be invalidated because of wear and tear. A lot of cars specifically say don't push button in when engaging handbrake.

• Like 1

As long as car is under 3 years old and under 60k the warranty should cover it

• Like 1

Brings back memories of my old (~1959) A35 van. The ratchet was so worn it almost looked like a smooth arc :D

• Like 2

The two schools of thought on this subject are :

1 - As Ray states above, in the old days ratcheting the handbrake up often destroyed the teeth over time & rendered the handbrake inoperative. Newer, more robust materials have largely eliminated this issue.

2 - Most drivers have been taught for many years to push the button in whilst engaging the handbrake, mainly to eliminate the hideous noise of the ratchet, and as a way to demonstrate vehicle sympathy - however employing this method can sometimes cause the handbrake to slip, although ordinarily just one stop down, as the teeth do not always engage perfectly with the button in method.

I personally engage the handbrake with the button in, & then to err on the side of caution, ratchet the last click upwards & have never yet had a handbrake failure.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club